193 replies to this topic

#106 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

cut out the door frame panel  didnt see the point trimming the panel down as when i drilled out the spot welds of the quarter panel where it folds around the b post  little clouds of rust dust came out  even tho it looked mint in that area 

also the new panel will not fit without you removing that lip mainly due to the door lock receiver  bracket half way down the b post  at least i know its now all good steel

Attached Files

Edited by wreckitralph, 30 October 2019 - 10:04 AM.

#107 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

just need to gently and carefully remove the frame remains from the roof panel edge above the door  then fit the new panel then final welde the bulkhead inner wings scuttle   and after that lot i can move onto the floor  safe in the knowledge the whole lot up to the seat crossmember will be brand new

Edited by wreckitralph, 28 October 2019 - 06:45 PM.

#108 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

I love how fearless you are with panel work dude. God its gonna look mean if its space frame style!

#109 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

cheers mate its only metal  whats the worst that can happen lol

#110 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:59 PM

had a busy day today and had a first go of the spotwelder i picked up secondhand

Attached Files

#111 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:02 PM

again

Attached Files

#112 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:12 PM

a good fitting panel to be fair  all mating faces cleaned to the metal and weld thru primered on the faces i cant get to when in situ

Attached Files

Edited by wreckitralph, 30 October 2019 - 04:30 PM.

#113 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:23 PM

last

Attached Files

#114 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:27 PM

took the a post back to the metal then sprayed with zinc rich primer ready for welding to the door frame and inner wing

#115 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

so busy with the spot welder again   the door pillar was off and on quite a bit before i was happy with it   the rest of the adjustment can be done with shims ect where needed

so spot welded the inner wing to the pillar and the pillar to the door frame surround 

Attached Files

#116 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:04 PM

and 1 or two of the opposite side  wich i adjusted 

Attached Files

#117 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:16 AM

so the companion bins are being removedand  its having a complete new floor and inner cills so i wont gp any further down than i already have with the spot welding on the B  pillar at the moment and along the doorstep to inner cill  join the same 

the cant rail has been a bit moth eaten defomed with the removal pf the old door frame so ime going to cut the bottom 15 mm off and weld in a new flat strip rather than changing the  full panel especially at 90quid a side unless anyony hasa rof cut off at thep illars

#118 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

Keen to see the floor work, this is on my list too. Your motoring through dude, love it.

#119 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:58 PM

trying to get a bit done  any time i get free  

04/11/2019

after a bit of a rethink  ime going to fit a heritage floor instead of the  floors i fabricated  the reasons are as folllows

1. i am replacing the innerwings and bulkhead by fitting a heritage floor it will help me to ensure alignment and that the toe board is in the correct position   

2. being that ive replaced all these large expensive panels seems daft not to use a brand new floor as well 

3. i have a mk3 clubman that the fabricated floors can be used in  it has a proper cage already  the floors are rotten in it the fabricated floors are strengthened and a heavier gauge steel  to tie the cage into  the toe board and heel board are sound so no worries regards alignment in fitting those new fabd floors

Edited by wreckitralph, 04 November 2019 - 11:10 AM.

#120 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

my problem is that sometimes i overthink things instead of just doing  so with that in mind today i chopped out the complete floor took me around 2 hours in total to get the main floor and x member out the reason being overcills plate on plate rusty twisted steel but its out  before i did it i addedabit more bracing and i can safely say nothing has moved i just have to drill out spot welds along the heel board take out the comanion bins [wont be done fully until the floor is in] to try and keep some strength in the  rear end of the shell with regards the rear arches rear seat base/boot floor as its being suspended at the rear in that area i will take out the lower 6-8 inches fit the floor then when its in securely take out the rest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users