#123 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:25 PM

brilliant work mate glad your rescuing another tired but now really solid looking mini

#124 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:50 PM

thank you very much trying my best to make it as good as i can with the tools and skills i have [limited] lol

#125 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

did a little bit more today started cleaning up the heel board ready to offr up the floor pan it had been patched and is shot the outer 8 inches have had it and the lower 30mm  right across so a new panel will be fitted but i will get the floor in place using the original first

i may make the new panel yet we shall see 

ime thinking of making  beefed up inner cill stiffeners  with a folded U section  with a closing  fold on  the heelboard end  that will have the subframe mounting bolt holes in and  threaded bosses using the  heel board and bolt holes as my guide    after looking at the original stiffener that came out  theres hardly anything to it damn sure i can improve on that  and it will be welded to the base of the b past

when i then fit the new heel board panel  the bolt holes for the subframe  are already in place welded ect and the heel board can then be welded as well

hope that makes sense if not tough will have to wait till i get it done and take a few pics

Attached Files

#126 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:08 PM

again

Attached Files

#127 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

drawn by a 3 year old

Attached Files

#128 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:06 PM

jees that's rotted to buggery good luck with sorting it 

#129 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

yes its a great candidate for rust in peices lol

#130 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

just placed the order with bulmotif spares for the heel board  i didnt realise that as i had used a later floor the heel board is also slightly different on the left hand side to compensateso ordered a correct item  85 pound including delivery    at this rate every single panel in this shell will be new all thats left is the boot floor back panel  rear 1/4s and roof  and the boot and quarters and possibly the roof are being changed too 

this is definitely not what the project started as  but  when changing large panels seems stupid not to change the next for a new one if its shot  and i dont want to build a panel from 3 or four seperate peices as i dont get much time  to work on it and although ime confident of making a good repair panel for the heelboard without issue its the time involved thats the problem where as if i buy a ready made panel  its just a case of fit and weld    this spot welder is going to have a kicking me thinks

Edited by wreckitralph, 12 November 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#131 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:13 PM

so managed to get an hour this afternoon  and i decided to clean up the mating faces of the toe board the inner face of the door steps and the bottom of the B posts before spraying zinc rich primer 

first thing i noticed was how thin the metal of the B post is ive always thought it was quite a sturdy panel but its only around 0.9 mm thick  i would have thought this would have been a bit sturdier  in terms of gauge of steel used  maybe the same as the toe board and bulkhead x member could be a reason why the mini diesnt seem to fair very well in side impact collisions

the second thing and  this is quite alarming    on the toe board i removed the two square reinforcing plates  where the lower front subframe mounts locate as i will be fitting my own

and there was already rust between the two panels bare metal on bare metal

Edited by wreckitralph, 12 November 2019 - 03:16 PM.

#132 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

hes only gone and put the bloody floor in  O_O  O_O  O_O  O_O  O_O  O_O  O_O  :D  :D  :D  :D after cleeaning back all the edges and primering  i though may as well offer it up as to this point i wansnt sure wether the toe board/bulkhead was in the right position  i only had a tape to go by theres always that doubt in the back of the mind     its not welded  but its in seems to line up very well with nice tight joins ime buzzing this represents a huge milestone for me  i have questioned myself  on many occasions as to wether ime doing the right thing have i wasted ££££££££££££££ on new panels and nothing is linig up bulkhead out of place ect well the answer is no  

the floor is  staying put now  dont want to mess around with it  i will be buggered if ime taking it back out   managed to get it in by myself with no drama  helps having the body tub suspended from the garage roof with ratchet straps

Edited by wreckitralph, 12 November 2019 - 05:25 PM.

#133 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

a few pics

Attached Files

#134 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:34 PM

it roughly against the heel board  it will be having a new panel within the next few days  altho the tunnel is in the correct place i left the box section in to help  with that previously had  braced the floor with them

Attached Files

#135 wreckitralph

wreckitralph

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

got the heel board today   perfect timing really as the floor is in with tec screws  tunnel looks like a porcupine   atm   lifted the tub up higher with 4x4 posts under the car the with of my shed its not very wide  9 foot so there is only 2 ft either side of the car so  not ideal to work on it especially  changing floors ect now the the mini is sat on beams that are tied into the actual frame work of the  shed   it can be ushed fully over to the left or right  depending what side ime working on and   gives me double the space ive had up until now it also means i can go inside the car  to weld being the floor is supported

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users