#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

just to note. how long a battery last depends on what current it is drawing. the harder you push it the less time it will last.  But note the tool will be have just the same whatever battery is fitted but just for not so long with the smaller batteries.

#17 71bay

71bay

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

Buy the best you can afford,don`t save a few quid and regret it.

A good tool will last years if looked after.

#18 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:03 AM

Roger that, thanks gents. 

#19 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

Hi,

The higher the aH the longer is will last between charges. I'd recommend Makita everytime.

Everything is available as "body only" so you can use the same batteries in everything.

Always go for brushless too. I've just bought the 36v chainsaw, uses two 18v batteries at the same time!

Cheers :proud:

Edited by Bat, 30 January 2019 - 11:33 AM.

#20 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Bat. Seems the same with the Ryobi and Worx stuff (shared batteries, and body-only tools available). 

If Brushless is the way to go, I think I'll go for the Worx below, as the others are a bit out of my budget and these do get good reviews. They also have a good range of compatible tools I may need in the future, including gardening stuff.

https://www.ebay.co....Ah/183072295866

#21 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

I like the Makita stuff too, Ive got drills, a grider, saw, die grinder, all sharing batterys,

pluss the batteries aand chargers are getting much  cheaper now, and the morern lipo batteries dont loose capacity like the old nicad stuff.

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

I got this from toolstation every bit as solid as Makita, claims lots of torque too, not that I've really tested that so far, but it does blat through concrete well enough to not bother with my SDS for rawlplugs. Nice and compact, which I've found useful on cars and the threaded handle hole offers Heath Robinson potential

#23 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

I've bought into the Ryobi setup. I have a small drill for normal jobs (putting up shelves, etc...) and an SDS for bigger stuff (channelling for cables etc..).

The reason I bought into it was because of the variety of tooling. I've got the palm sander and work light both are great additions to the tool box (especially the work light when working on the car) and will pickup an impact wrench in due course.

The jewel in the crown for me though was importing a ratchet wrench from Australia. You can get them from other brands but Ryobi only sell them via Bunnings and only in Aus. Having one battery for everything just makes life so much easier and that tool saves significant time working on the Mini .

Edited by Icey, 30 January 2019 - 04:49 PM.

#24 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:46 PM

I've bought into the Ryobi setup. I have a small drill for normal jobs (putting up shelves, etc...) and an SDS for bigger stuff (channelling for cables etc..).

The reason I bought into it was because of the variety of tooling. I've got the palm sander and work light both are great additions to the tool box (especially the work light when working on the car) and will pickup an impact wrench in due course.

The jewel in the crown for me though was importing a ratchet wrench from Australia. You can get them from other brands but Ryobi only sell them via Bunnings and only in Aus. Having one battery for everything just makes life so much easier and that tool saves significant time working on the Mini .

I have been looking at that ratchet wrench. I was worried that get battery made it a bit bulky 

#25 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

I have been looking at that ratchet wrench. I was worried that get battery made it a bit bulky

It's true that it doesn't fit into very small spaces but the 'head' of the ratchet is not really any bigger than a normal ratchet, so as long as you're not trying to shove it down the back of the engine the battery doesn't tend to get in the way.

Where it's proven it's worth is when you're in a position that would normally only allow a small amount of rotation on the socket, the sort where you get two clicks each time and it takes an eternity to wind the bolt in/out. When you can get the electric wrench onto one of those, it justifies the cost :lol:

Most memorable examples are the rod-change steady bar bolt, not difficult to get to but space is limited....press the button and it's done. And weirdly, jubilee clips. I have screw-driver bits on sockets and the combination is a winner.

#26 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

Thanks again guys. 

#27 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

We bought dewalt, makita and milwaukee stuff at work.

The milwalkee stuff has lasted the best, then the dewalt and as for makita, you won't find any of it left on our shop floor.

I personally have makita stuff which is about 5-10 years old and it's still going strong but I won't be replacing it with their new stuff as it just doesn't seam to be as well made.

#28 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

Im using hitachi with 5.0 ah batts on my drill and impact. If money was no object I'd get milwakee.

Mikita is also good ?

#29 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:22 PM

If it's cordless you want I'd start by deciding who's battery and charges eco system I wanted to invest in. IMHO there is nothing worse than having 6 different batteries and charges because each tool was from a different brand. Therefore I'd agree with the general theme and go for the Ryobi as they have a large selection of tools & 'fake' generic batteries are cheep.

#30 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

Thanks again chaps. I didn't expect such a big response! 

I went for the Brushless Worx drill in the end, mainly down to the value for money and reviews, plus it having other tools and gardening equipment in the range that I'll benefit from. It came with 2 x 2.0Ah batteries for £80, but I've since bought a 4.0Ah battery and also a garden strimmer and power wash which work off the same batteries. Very pleased so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users