#31 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:23 AM

Hi ski,

closed loop idle control was always active.But nice to hear that it is idling smoother then before.

Can you screw down idling rpm.Then map will decrease too.

Can you do a reset of the ecu with your pscan.

( I never had a pscan in my hands. :-) , thats why i m asking.)

I would try to do that, lambda voltage is still stable. So no mot!

Rest of the data seems to be good.

#32 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:16 PM

Depending on what else has been adjusted or modified, I am not sure it is a good idea to adjust the idle with the screw.

It needs to be in a range where the stepper can modify it as needed. The ACR tools have a provision for setting this. I do not know about PSCAN or other tools.

#33 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:47 AM

hi tmsmini

its nice that somebody else takes part in the discussion, what do you suggest? Here is his last log when engine is warm.

Attached File  hot.PNG   144.55K   5 downloads

rpm is at 908 with only 3 rounds of deviation and only 4 steps IAC left!

What can he do to decrease rpm with no deviation and possibly 10 steps IAC?

Oxygen sensor is still inactive!

If he can not reset the ecu, i tend to say he should have checked the ecu.

But when i read the whole thread again

"Yep with a meter it seems to read 0.4-0.49v when I starve it of fuel it's dropping to 0.2v and under then allow more fuel and it's coming back up near 0.4v."

i see that the ecu reacted on some tests, so I would do them again and doublecheck the wiring of the lambdasensor!

What do you think?

Edited by genpop, 03 April 2019 - 07:05 AM.

#34 ski

ski

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:22 AM

My next point is the ECU. Struggling to see what else it could be. I ran it up to temp again last nite, it was wanting to idle higher once it got hot, and was running differently to earlier!
The 4 degrees on the throttle angle isn't that accurate, I almost closed it and had the engine on the verge of stalling and the idle was down to 700rpm but still reading 4 on pscan.

All wiring is good, I've replaced the lambda with a genuine sensor. I will starve it of fuel again and get some probes onto the loom end sensor wires off the lambda to see what is happening now.

Oh and from what I can see Pscan can't reset the ECU. I can only clear error codes and read live data.

Edited by ski, 03 April 2019 - 08:24 AM.

#35 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

NO RESET POSSIBLE

you could try unplugging the battery over night! (or longer)

i still think lambda sensor is not connected right!

#36 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

I would check the code reader thread and see if anyone with ACR or Crypton is close by to verify the readings from the PScan app.

Has the throttle stop been adjusted?

This would require the reset of the stepper as well. The values are stored in non-volatile memory, so disconnecting the battery will have no impact on the stored values in the ECU.

In the early part of thread, it says the sensors were checked, what about the IACV and its electrical and hose connections?

The narrow band lambda should be fluctuating as noted in an earlier post.As noted earlier, I would try to verify the correct wiring again.

It is also stated that the fuel pressure regulator has been modified, do you know what was modified as it appears to be the standard regulator?

Many people get creative with rerouting the wiring, I would check for abrasions in any wiring along the firewall.

Terry

#37 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

First thing to do is get the stepper motor set correctly. You really should not have touched it. It HAS to be set properly.

this is what my lambda sensor is doing.

#38 ski

ski

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

NO RESET POSSIBLE

you could try unplugging the battery over night! (or longer)

i still think lambda sensor is not connected right!

The battery is disconnected most of the time, its sitting in the garage. 

Will re-check the wiring. I have used a continuity tester back to the relay pack and then back to the ECU and everything was ok, except some greasy plugs. 

I would check the code reader thread and see if anyone with ACR or Crypton is close by to verify the readings from the PScan app.

Has the throttle stop been adjusted?

This would require the reset of the stepper as well. The values are stored in non-volatile memory, so disconnecting the battery will have no impact on the stored values in the ECU.

In the early part of thread, it says the sensors were checked, what about the IACV and its electrical and hose connections?

The narrow band lambda should be fluctuating as noted in an earlier post.As noted earlier, I would try to verify the correct wiring again.

It is also stated that the fuel pressure regulator has been modified, do you know what was modified as it appears to be the standard regulator?

Many people get creative with rerouting the wiring, I would check for abrasions in any wiring along the firewall.

Terry

Im based in Basingstoke, doesn't look there is anyone nearby unfortunately. I could buy an ACR4 but already throwing money at it! haha. 

It seems someone had adjusted it in the past to keep the throttle slightly open anyway, I adjusted to bring the throttle angle lower. 

How do you reset the stepper? I dont think Pscan can do it. I have only cleaned the IACV the hose is good, ive only visually inspected the wiring. I do recall unplugging it and the engine stalled. 

I don't know exactly how its been modified, it was a Wood & Pickett Cooper Le, the build sheet from them just stated that it had a modified fuel reg. 

Ill take a look at the loom, the wiring from the lambda plug, back to the relay pack and then back to the ECU checked out ok. 

With ignition on the Lambda sensor was still not getting hot from the heater though. 

First thing to do is get the stepper motor set correctly. You really should not have touched it. It HAS to be set properly.

this is what my lambda sensor is doing.

Thanks for the video, good to see what it should be doing! 

#39 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

I live near the A3 between Hindhead and Petersfield. Not that far from Basingstoke. If you want to come and borrow my ACR4, you're welcome.

But how about posting in the Pscan support forum, to see if you can do it with what ya got.

Edited by Wiggy, 04 April 2019 - 05:51 PM.

#40 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:17 AM

IACV resetting:https://www.the-t-ba...-the-iacv#50785

Most important is the swing of the lambdasensor voltage.Check the wiring according to the diagramm!

#41 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

Resetting in that video only works for a while, it will "hunt" again after a few days / weeks.

And "resetting" is not the same as "setting up" on the T4 ou ACR4.

#42 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 02:49 PM

Yes, there is some terminology confusion as there is a lack of information on the MEMS 2J as implemented on the Rover Mini.

The "re-indexing" of the stepper actually occurs each time the engine is shut off, I believe.

The "service reset" and adjustment of the stepper is only accomplished with one of the tools that allows this.

There is a PDF of the chapter on the MEMS system from a Haynes manual on Engine management and Fuel Injection Systems. It has been posted before. It covers basic MEMS MPi and SPi operation, but nothing very specific on the Mini.

In my experience the service reset and stepper adjustment using the ACR can be tricky to get into the range required. It will only allow it to be done when the temperature is fully warm. It is important that the o-rings on the IACV be in good condition and not causing any leaks.

I am not an expert on the MEMS system by any definition and just sharing what I have experienced and learned. Experiences may vary...

In looking back over my notes, the reindexing requires the TPS reading to be set correctly in the MPi. I would also check the the throttle position sensor. It looks like you should be able to do that with PScan. You can also directly test the resistance, but I don't have the values for that in front of me.

Edited by tmsmini, 05 April 2019 - 03:12 PM.

#43 ski

ski

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:06 PM

Hi all, 

Thanks for all of the help. 

Ive just had a chance to look at it, ive cut most of the loom open, the wires from the lambda back to the ECU are all fine, checked the signal wires for continuity. 

I removed the TPS and just checked that the spring is working and its not sticking, doesn't seem to be sticking at all. 

I have noticed that again the Cam position has gone back to 0! I've not touched anything. If the Cam sensor is faulty is the ECU likely to put closed loop control off?, I found a thread similar to mine and in the end it was the cam sensor and the ECU at fault. 

Ive taken a video which is hopefully more useful-

#44 ski

ski

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:31 PM

Checked with a meter, something certainly isn't right, I finally saw some movement on Pscan for the lambda from cold which is the 2nd video. 

The first is the voltage coming off the Lambda when hot. I could try another new Lambda incase this one is toast? but seems strange. 

I also logged the voltage on Pscan, its showing 0.49V nearly constantly but will occasionally spike and had one reading of 16.6v (For one instance, this is 200ms) and another for 10.5v!!! 

Voltage is also similar with the engine off, once the battery is unplugged it then goes down. 

Meter on the lambda probes- 

https://youtu.be/Bb9Idoxe3Po

Lambda from cold on Pscan, some movement at least- 

https://youtu.be/wD6zl0u-zR8

Edited by ski, 20 April 2019 - 01:44 PM.

#45 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

change the lambda connections, the white ones for power supply, the other two going to the ecu!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users