#1 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

Are there any benefits of this stuff? I bought some to clean the carbs on my XJR1200, I actually stripped them down and removed the jets etc and soaked them in Redex, but I have lots left over and was gonna stick in the mini tank. 

Am running draw through supercharger with custom (ie non rover) twin fuel injectors (VMAX kit). I always use 98 fuel and have inline fuel filter. Or shall I just keep it on my shelf and use it for another set of carbs?!

#2 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

I put some in my VFR800 tank that uses injectors, its not conked out yet so hopefully  its doing something!

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

The British army had  the same stuff, with a different name, made by someone else, added to their fuel by BP, until 105 octane petrol was introduced.

They obviously didn't think that it did any harm.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:06 PM

I had a really old bottle lying around so recently decided to use it in my old R1200GS ... after a couple of tank fills had been run through it was definitely running sweeter.

#5 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

Hmm, interesting. I might put some through the mini  then when I drag it out of hibernation later in the spring. 

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:35 PM

Watch all of this.. but 1.20 to 2.40 is the redex bit...

#7 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

The old stuff was also an upper cylinder lubricant.  The new stuff isn't, so something has changed in the formulation of it over the years.

I can't see it doing any harm though.

Edited by Orange-Phantom, 02 February 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:51 PM

In the days when cars needed de-coking regulary, we used Redex to do it to save taking the head off.

The engine would be brought to around 4000 rpm with the air cleaner removed. Then neat Redex would be poured into the carb intake and the throttle opened to keep the engine revving. Quit aa a lot of Redex was poured into the carb and after a while, when the smoke cleared(!) the plugs would be removed and cleaned.

After that the car usually ran a lot better.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:55 PM

In the days when cars needed de-coking regulary, we used Redex to do it to save taking the head off.

The engine would be brought to around 4000 rpm with the air cleaner removed. Then neat Redex would be poured into the carb intake and the throttle opened to keep the engine revving. Quit aa a lot of Redex was poured into the carb and after a while, when the smoke cleared(!) the plugs would be removed and cleaned.

brake fluid worked as well just make sure there is nothing painted behind the car.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:41 PM

brake fluid worked as well just make sure there is nothing painted behind the car.

That's a good idea. There is often a load of old brake fluid available after the brakes are bled and the old fluid can't be re-used for the braking system.

There is no reason why we still can't do this to clean out the valves and combustion chambers.

I once inhibited my Porsche 911 engine using Waxoyl and gear oil which was blown in under pressure. It was stored for a couple of years whilst the body was worked on then it was time to re-start it. I washed out the bores with diesel by pouring it down the plug holes and turning the engine over by hand. Then I blew comp air into the bores with more diesel. The engine was then turned over on the starter to get oil pressure and re-prime the injectors. The plugs were then re-fitted and it was started. The smoke was like an old Boeing 707 taking off and lasted a long time because the diesel had got into the exhaust system. After about 45 minutes it had finally cleared! Then it ran beautifully.

#11 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:26 AM

I use redex all the time both on mini and my daily hack turbo diesel which has had it in every other tank  for the last 50k - my OH runs a scirrocco TDI with exactly the same engine as my car (only other difference being I use quality fuels and she fills up in asda all the time) which only gets basic servicing, recently I've had to delve deep into both as they're both getting a bit senior.....mine clean'ish - injectors pristine in the inlet however bearing in mind diesels generally build up a huge amount of carbon crud  so a bit of very gentle scraping and several cans of toolstation's carb cleaner... on the  scirocco however .....the filth was epic!!! 

There is a benefit in using redex, especially as it seems to be permanently on offer in most supermarkets at the £4 mark or less - I think - and this is only my opinion that there's little point in constant use even though I do......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users