#16 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

Most of the big Mini shows are run on a business basis financially as no one is going to bother running an event with all the time, effort, health & safety rules and regs, public liability insurance, etc required these days and then risk making a financial loss. In some ways the classic Mini scene is lucky that the big shows can now be subsidised by also attracting the growing number of MINI enthusiasts, either showing their cars or buying entry tickets on the gate.

As a long time member of the MCR I know it would be almost impossible for the club to risk the financial cost of running the annual Beaulieu Mini Show today without the extra ticket sales generated by MINI owners attending. If you don't like MINI's it is not difficult to walk on by and at Beaulieu the main Mini and MINI parking areas are in separate areas anyway.

This was one of the first Mini shows (in link below) back in 1982 at Twycross Zoo, which eventually grew to become the National MOC Show at Stanford Hall, now run by BMC.

My photos show pretty much all the Minis that attended that day parked in a field and a couple of trade stands.......perhaps the Mini scene will go full circle back to small shows like they were then back in the 1980's, but how many of todays enthusiasts used to todays big shows would even bother going? I drove from south London just to be at the Twycross show and many others came far longer distances!

First Moc Meeting 1982 - Twycross Zoo:-

http://www.theminifo...2-twycross-zoo/

Edited by mab01uk, 03 February 2019 - 08:13 PM.

#17 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

Most of the big Mini shows are run on a business basis financially as no one is going to bother running an event with all the time, effort, health & safety rules and regs, public liability insurance, etc required these days and then risk making a financial loss. In some ways the classic Mini scene is lucky that the big shows can now be subsidised by also attracting the growing number of MINI enthusiasts, either showing their cars or buying entry tickets on the gate.
As a long time member of the MCR I know it would be almost impossible for the club to risk the financial cost of running the annual Beaulieu Mini Show today without the extra ticket sales generated by MINI owners attending. If you don't like MINI's it is not difficult to walk on by and at Beaulieu the main Mini and MINI parking areas are in separate areas anyway.

This was one of the first Mini shows (in link below) back in 1982 at Twycross Zoo, which eventually grew to become the National MOC Show at Stanford Hall, now run by BMC.
My photos show pretty much all the Minis that attended that day parked in a field and a couple of trade stands.......perhaps the Mini scene will go full circle back to small shows like they were then back in the 1980's, but how many of todays enthusiasts used to todays big shows would even bother going? I drove from south London just to be at the Twycross show and many others came far longer distances!
First Moc Meeting 1982 - Twycross Zoo:-
http://www.theminifo...2-twycross-zoo/

I do see where you coming from but personally I’d rather attend a smaller classic only show. I do the 630 mile return trip to Blyton each year and for me it’s the best show of the year, but I’m a mk1 fan. I did drive my BINI Cooper S up there one year and parked well away in the adjacent ‘field of shame’. No bigger known traders there either and it’s all for charity.

#18 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

I do see where you coming from but personally I’d rather attend a smaller classic only show. <snip> No bigger known traders there either and it’s all for charity.

We've been organising things with West Country Minis for years now and it's something we've been asking ourselves a lot lately - what makes a good show? Is it loads of traders, hundreds of cars, etc.., is it a much smaller affair at a really good venue or does it need a central focus like a race track or autotest?

No one really knows so I think that adds to the feeling that things are starting to struggle. Once you've been to a show a few times you don't really need to keep going back. In my opinion the era of the big static shows (i.e. parking in a field) is pretty much dead, there has to be something more to it.....we're just not sure what!

Regarding the difficulty/cost of running big events. We're also involved with a motorcycle event that takes over our town, 5000+ bikes, road closures, the whole piece and we do it all with a volunteer committee. It's non-profit and generates ~£15k for charity every year. So I know it can be done, it's not easy but it can be done.

Edited by Icey, 03 February 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#19 tom130691

tom130691

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

I went to Bingly show and was pretty disapointed, First mini show Ive done despite owning mine 7 years,  

I dont think its a mini specific issue though, alot of the car shows are starting to struggle, there just seems less intrest in modifying cars with the younger drivers, I used to go to PVS with my corsa, some years we had 70+ cars on the stand, now they are lucky to get 7 its more of a social call these days, 

I think alot of the younger drivers buy new on PCP deals these days, then chop and change the cars quite often so there isnt the connection or intrest in modifying them as we used to have,  

#20 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:17 AM

Theres a big Jap car scene - which probably replicates the mini scene in the late 60's and 70's

10 yr old  Micra's etc are the new minis.... we'll as most here would have known them to be years ago ..... affordable  cars you can tune and customise.

Its the same on the VW scene too

Most ordinary income  folk (or volk) can't afford a decent bay window t2 camper, prices are crazy for what they are

.... so now there "in" camper is the T3 - or T25 breeze block shape.... even they - who's looks only an enthusiast can appreciate  are fetching good money, I know as I have one 

I want to a Jap based car meet on Brighton seafront and although the cars are not my cuppa tea I was impressed with the numbers of youngsters customising and standard of cars

Edited by Matt Brighton, 04 February 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:17 AM

It's also been illegal on new cars for a few years to do anything much beyond cosmetic.

Events have to be entertaining, you need variety or activity.

#22 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:03 PM

What are now seen as everyday classics, i.e. the normal road cars of the 50's, 60's and early 70's, were very slow by comparison with modern cars. The ability to improve the engine performance, road-holding, handling and braking was recognised and enthusiastic owners improved them and teh gain in performance was in many cases amazing.

Imagine you have bought a new 850 Mini in 1961. It had all of 34 bhp, but with some engine modifications it was easy to get to 45 bhp or even slightly more. That was a 30% improvement which was really noticeable. It was the same with most volume production cars. Thus there are accepted period modifications which have been further enhanced over the years.

With modern cars there is no need to modify them as their performance is, in general, already quite sufficient and, if driven hard, licence threatening.

The current younger generation are not so interested in our old cars as they don't remember their parents having cars like those, they can't afford a classic as a collectors/fun car and they need a modern reliable car for everyday use.

The age profile for classic Mini owners is probably increasing year-on-year with the cars being increasingly seen as collectors items. It is no longer seen as a car for a young person as a daily driver, for obvious reasons. If you were an 18-year-old why would you buy a Mini? Not for performance, nor reliability, nor comfort. The only young person who may want one had probably been influenced by older family members. My Grandson wanted a MIni when he was 17 after working on them with me from the time he was 3. However, after having a 1275 Cooper MPI as his first car, he soon tired of it and bought a modern Fiesta 1.25 Zetec. He still loves the classic Mini, but can't yet afford one as a fun/collectors car.

Thus there will be less going to pure Mini shows, but large classic car events will always have a strong Mini attendance. Maybe the big Mini shows will be OK, but smaller local purely Mini shows will inevitably decline.

It is a bit sad, but inevitable really. I mean how many on here would have wanted a 60-year-old pre-war classic when they were younger? I know I wouldn't. My first car was a 12-year old Ford.

#23 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

People with imagination and flair to modify cars are often ridiculed for doing so. People are too concerned with conforming to the norms and getting Facebook style “likes” to take the risk in standing out from the crowd.

I’ve been saying for years that the mocking of people’s cars on this site will eventually have an impact on the scene

I'm surprised you say peoples cars have been mocked - I haven't seen any examples of that, is it something that happened to you?

#24 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

I think the thing that will keep Minis (and other classics) desirable is the sheer lack of difference between modern car makes. look at the SUVs currently being turned out - they all look exactly the same - not surprising as many of them are in fact on the same floor pan of course. Also advertising companies are picking up on the 'cool factor' of classics so that they appear in many ads. I personally prefer a small local classic show for all makes - then your car stands out more than if you're in a field with thousands the same(ish).

#25 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

Ive been off this forum for a while (and only came back on the last few months), the big difference i have noticed is the reducing number of second hand parts for sale on here.  There used to be pages and pages of bits people are selling, but now only a few items.  I assume now that parts are now too valuable to sell, or you'll get more on ebay?

#26 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

People with imagination and flair to modify cars are often ridiculed for doing so. People are too concerned with conforming to the norms and getting Facebook style “likes” to take the risk in standing out from the crowd.

I’ve been saying for years that the mocking of people’s cars on this site will eventually have an impact on the scene

I'm surprised you say peoples cars have been mocked - I haven't seen any examples of that, is it something that happened to you?

I think you need to identify where a person's Mini has been mocked, in an unkind way, on here. It is not something that is either allowed or encouraged.

There has been advice to, perhaps, not carry out a certain proposed modification, but that is usually for safety (as with coil springs, excessive lowering and plastic fronts), but that has been genuine advice, not 'mocking'.

I can't think what you would have to have done to your Mini for it to be mocked or laughed at. We all have different views on what is good or bad to do, but in the end it is the owner's own car to do with as he/she wishes. However, if advice is asked for and the answer is not what was hoped for, that is not 'mocking', it is just advice which may be accepted in good faith or rejected.

There are some Minis which, personally, I think look a bit stupid, but if it is the owner's choice and he/she likes it, then good luck to them. It is their business. But if I was asked to be honest as to what I thought of it I would say what I thought. 

Nothing on here will have any impact on the classic Mini or how owners treat them except, perhaps, they may be kept in a more safe condition as a result of the advice from those with a lot of experience with restoring and maintaining them.

#27 Archived3

Archived3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Archived
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:32 PM

People with imagination and flair to modify cars are often ridiculed for doing so. People are too concerned with conforming to the norms and getting Facebook style “likes” to take the risk in standing out from the crowd.I’ve been saying for years that the mocking of people’s cars on this site will eventually have an impact on the scene

it’s my opinion thats all... but after just two minutes I found a recent and an old one to show it’s gone on for years..

Also Many threads in the eBay section that are posted as Links are often met with sick face smileys etc
I’m thick skinned but even I don’t bother any more with serious modding as people just don’t get it.

On another forum a guy posts an old double decker roof chopped bus that he neither owned nor built. That thread was met with so many posts like “why” and it’s “stupid because it’s not practical”

It’s that attitude I see on this forum.

I can find far too many posts like this

http://www.theminifo...st-why/?hl=+why

A simple title search delivers a lot of scene spite that’s been given a platform on here

Some back many years but still searchable

http://www.theminifo...66-wtf/?hl=+wtf

Then the content they promote... not good

No not my car as I’ve not posted anything about my cars really..

If I’m forced to find more then I shall but does anyone remember the thread about the widened mini? Again not mine.
The owner was torn to shreds and ridiculed openly.. why the hell would he want to join our scene or this forum?

Hell I’ve been called out for having An opinion in answer to a question about the lack of modified cars?

Edited by Mrplastic, 04 February 2019 - 02:56 PM.

#28 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:52 PM

No need to call me out johnR.. it’s my opinion thats all... but after just two minutes here’s a recent and an old one to show it’s gone on for years..

still have no idea what the issue was with that.

#29 Archived3

Archived3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Archived
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

No need to call me out johnR.. it’s my opinion thats all... but after just two minutes here’s a recent and an old one to show it’s gone on for years..

still have no idea what the issue was with that.

Me either? Looked very well executed.

Even if I hadn’t of liked it I would have kept my opinions to myself rather then ridicule the guys efforts. (Raised properly)

#30 Archived3

Archived3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Archived
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

Found the widened min thread.. it’s noteworthy that a lot of this has been cleaned up by mods doing their best to de escalate the issue.

http://www.theminifo.../?hl= wide boy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users