Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:07 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen PLEASE !!!

Keep it civil.

There are ways of expressing a view without being degrading.

Please be respectful of others.

This is a good thread on a worthwhile topic. I'd rather not lock it.

I've had to clean up a few postings here.

Think before posting. Look at what you are about to post from the other guy's eyes.

Thank you.

#62 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:13 PM

Much of the current scene relies on the enthusiasm of people who remember the mini as an everyday car, learning to drive in one or their parents or grandparents owning one. Shows will expand that base to younger people inspired by seeing them exhibited and their sense of style may be more inclined towards modifying than producing a concourse car.
The lack of skills is more worrying, teachers seem less willing to run after school projects like the Greenpower challenge where pupils built their own electric endurance cars although there are exceptions. Here in Bridport we have a youth motor project for anyone from the age of twelve onwards - when I was chair we ran minis (which is where I developed my interest in them). The kids are helped to strip road cars, prepare and race them as part of the local Autograss racing circuit. Many of them went on to build their own cars and have become mechanics locally of which the club is very proud. I personally prefer to take my retro style car to mixed shows and although it's a 'fake' or lookalike rather than a genuine Cooper S no-one has yet criticised it (to my face anyway)and a 'peoples favourite' prize at the last show I went to suggests people enjoy seeing them and accept them for what they are.

#63 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

Well said Chris1992

Just to add: it was great to see your car in the mags going against the current norms. The wheel choice is inspired!

Thanks mate! Much appreciated :) Will be back out again this year better than ever, got a few changes planned too ;) 

#64 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:17 AM

I'm all for keeping a car looking standard outside but modifying the hell out of it underneath (that might be me in the not too distant future) . Now some cars that are modified on the outside are truly horrendous. Others not, so its all down to taste. Chris1992, i quite like that look as it looks to be well carried out.

As for openly denigrating people on here, well that is something as i have already said is seriously frowned upon. 

For me body kits are just so passe and to be honest unless you are a serious fabricator with a decent skill set they never look good. Now that's MY personal view. I can fully appreciate the work that goes into modifying cars and i'm lucky enough i can afford to do what i want to mine. It may take a long time but it will be done.

So as mentioned things and times are changing, prices are up, but there are some truly poor cars out there demanding serious money but you can walk away or ignore them.

With social media its all too easy to lambaste someone as they are mighty keyboard warriors, they feel safe behind their computer, phone tablet etc. However come face to face with the majority of them and its a different story altogether. So to keep things going it pays to be different, to think outside the box or do things off the cuff. Don't be afraid to be different, if every car on here was concourse it would be a mighty boring place. 

Its also another reason why we no longer have a open Facebook page, the crap that went on in there was utterly pointless, belittling and just plain sarcastic. Any good that was in it was over shadowed by the childish behavior of a lot of our members back then. We try to keep things on the straight and narrow without being overpowering with moderation and one and all remember this, its is all done by a group of people who give up their free time.

Anyway enough of that, i have a 747 that needs to be kicked out of the hangar and run so keep on doing what you do but play fairly please.      

#65 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:33 PM

I'm all for keeping a car looking standard outside but modifying the hell out of it underneath (that might be me in the not too distant future) . Now some cars that are modified on the outside are truly horrendous. Others not, so its all down to taste. Chris1992, i quite like that look as it looks to be well carried out.

Agree with the standard on the skin look

Last year I inserted from the rear (ouch !) a Subaru engine into my 1980 VW T25 Devon camper van which formerly had a tiny 1.6 diesel engine. 

Apart from the exhaust (mahoosive twin pipe system off a focus RS)  absoloutely nowt else gives the game away from the outside - except the subaru off beat burble at tickover

Looks what it is - a middle aged blokes camper -  with nice frilly curtains and cushions/fridge/cooker etc 

Edited by Matt Brighton, 08 February 2019 - 06:30 PM.

#66 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:22 PM

I have re-purchased the 1990 Cooper 1275 which I restored/prepared for Endurance Rallies back in 2004.
However, now the Endurance events have died off, plus I am probably too old to drive quickly enough, I shall do some changes which I guess some won't like.
I am going to fit a Mk.1 grille, remove the bonnet stripes and other Rover graphics. I will probably but a Morris badge on the bonnet and boot lid.
The wheel arch extensions will be removed and chrome over-arch strips fitted each side.
It will be resprayed in the original black/white roof.
It will go onto 10" X 5" wheels.
The interior already has a modified panel alongside the original 3dial dash.
I am going to fit twin HS4 carbs and further improve the head.
When I first built it the engine was giving 84 bhp at 5700 with max torque at 4100 rpm.
It has the original early Mk.1 S final drive at 3.44 and gear ratios are also as original Mk.1 Cooper & S.
Feel free to criticise for non-originalty

#67 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

Come again?

What's to 'criticise' ?

OK, the colour isn't what I'd choose, but otherwise, sounds a great build.

Maybe I'd include Cruise Control and fit a HIF44 instead of the twins.

#68 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:47 PM

Some may love it, some may hate it, and some may wish to set fire to their eyeballs after seeing it, but it's an expression of my personality, which is what all Mini's should be. Once we get back to that mentality then the scene will flourish :)

39130002_2157445470964824_18898482222732

Personally I love it, its very nicely modified and reflects your personal tastes, its also much more interesting than rows and rows of standard Rover Coopers which when I was heavily into minis and went to a lot of shows was all that there seemed to be.

I think its important to realise that some cars shouldn't be modified because they are either very rare or historically significant but for something that is still reasonably plentiful and was built in large numbers it can be modified to reflect the owners tastes whether that be a simple paint job and a couple of bonnet stripes or a full on fire breathing engine conversion, lambo style doors and a roof chop.

It would be a dull old world if we all liked the same (and in my case if everyone was like me you wouldn't be able to buy a Mini Traveller, MK2 Jag or frogeye sprite for love nor money :-) 

#69 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

There's still some different cars on the scene, you just have to look in the right place ??

B23FA245-D6B3-4B5F-A59D-84E73CBE18AE_zps

Edited by coopdog, 09 February 2019 - 08:40 AM.

#70 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:33 PM

I’ve been away from Minis (owning) for 20+ years but it seems the same, just with different focuses but maybe more pricey. Still original stuff and still modified stuff. I like it all. It’s all great and all MinI

...would love to get my old deseamed GT back one day though...wasn’t to everyone’s taste even back in the early 90’s but I still think it looks the part. Ah well the ones that get away eh ?

Attached Files

#71 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:57 PM

Come again?

What's to 'criticise' ?

It's fitted with an HIf44 as standard and I 'flowed' it a bit more when I built the car.

However, I reckon that with the more modified head I shall be doing, having twin HS4's will give better throttle response at low and mid-range. But really, I think I just like to see a Cooper of any type with twins. Showing my age I guess  ;D .

#72 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:28 AM

Come again?

What's to 'criticise' ?

It's fitted with an HIf44 as standard and I 'flowed' it a bit more when I built the car.

However, I reckon that with the more modified head I shall be doing, having twin HS4's will give better throttle response at low and mid-range. But really, I think I just like to see a Cooper of any type with twins. Showing my age I guess  ;D .

Maybe I'm showing my age ???

Don't get me wrong, twins are just like my wife - great to look at, but hard to live with :D

#73 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

I have always had good results with twins. Once I had a 1330 Mk2 S with twin HS6's and they worked well.
Once twins are set up they ore ok. It's getting the initial setting correct that can be difficult, but we even used to manage it in the days before rolling roads.

#74 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

Personally I love it, its very nicely modified and reflects your personal tastes, its also much more interesting than rows and rows of standard Rover Coopers which when I was heavily into minis and went to a lot of shows was all that there seemed to be.

I think its important to realise that some cars shouldn't be modified because they are either very rare or historically significant but for something that is still reasonably plentiful and was built in large numbers it can be modified to reflect the owners tastes whether that be a simple paint job and a couple of bonnet stripes or a full on fire breathing engine conversion, lambo style doors and a roof chop.

It would be a dull old world if we all liked the same (and in my case if everyone was like me you wouldn't be able to buy a Mini Traveller, MK2 Jag or frogeye sprite for love nor money :-)

Thanks mate! I appreciate it  :proud:

I do very much agree that certain cars are definitely too valuable to modify. At least nothing irreversible anyway! I was lucky that mine is just a City E and was a bare shell when I got it, so it was like a blank canvas! ;) 

#75 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:44 AM

Thanks mate! I appreciate it :proud:

I do very much agree that certain cars are definitely too valuable to modify. At least nothing irreversible anyway! I was lucky that mine is just a City E and was a bare shell when I got it, so it was like a blank canvas! ;)
I'm not sure I agree that certain cars shouldn't be modified- although I suppose it depends on what would happen to it otherwise. My Hornet is lightly modified, but I'd have no qualms about doing something major should I decide to- partially because at least my way it's being looked after and maintained. Far worse for me is a standard car being left to rot- I'd much rather see a loved car with a purple bodykit than a standard car dumped in a yard somewhere.

I have to say, if i wasn't allowed to modify my cars, I'd have no interest in the mini scene whatsoever.

P.S. Love yours, particularly the wheels- my steels are being sent off for banding this week!

Edited by Mat, 10 February 2019 - 09:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users