77 replies to this topic

#76 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:29 AM

Personally I love it, its very nicely modified and reflects your personal tastes, its also much more interesting than rows and rows of standard Rover Coopers which when I was heavily into minis and went to a lot of shows was all that there seemed to be.

I think its important to realise that some cars shouldn't be modified because they are either very rare or historically significant but for something that is still reasonably plentiful and was built in large numbers it can be modified to reflect the owners tastes whether that be a simple paint job and a couple of bonnet stripes or a full on fire breathing engine conversion, lambo style doors and a roof chop.

It would be a dull old world if we all liked the same (and in my case if everyone was like me you wouldn't be able to buy a Mini Traveller, MK2 Jag or frogeye sprite for love nor money :-)

Thanks mate! I appreciate it :proud:

I do very much agree that certain cars are definitely too valuable to modify. At least nothing irreversible anyway! I was lucky that mine is just a City E and was a bare shell when I got it, so it was like a blank canvas! ;)
I'm not sure I agree that certain cars shouldn't be modified- although I suppose it depends on what would happen to it otherwise. My Hornet is lightly modified, but I'd have no qualms about doing something major should I decide to- partially because at least my way it's being looked after and maintained. Far worse for me is a standard car being left to rot- I'd much rather see a loved car with a purple bodykit than a standard car dumped in a yard somewhere.

I have to say, if i wasn't allowed to modify my cars, I'd have no interest in the mini scene whatsoever.

P.S. Love yours, particularly the wheels- my steels are being sent off for banding this week!

I quite agree but a normal Hornet isn't very very rare or historically significant (no offence intended), if it were the very first Hornet or were owned by someone important/famous then IMHO it shouldn't be modified from how it was in period.

As an example 621 AOK should always be kept as standard as possible as its the first of its type, on the other hand a mid 1980's City is fair game to modify as the owner wants.

If someone found a 970 Cooper S in a barn would it be right to chop it up and do a Z Cars conversion on it?

For cars to be in the don't modify category they need to be very rare or historically significant i.e. if you went out with a big wad of cash you either can't buy one (because its the only one) or won't be able to buy another one because its so rare.

#77 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

And after all the 1980's Minis have been modified the unmolested one that remains is going to be quite valuable!

#78 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:02 AM

Personally I love it, its very nicely modified and reflects your personal tastes, its also much more interesting than rows and rows of standard Rover Coopers which when I was heavily into minis and went to a lot of shows was all that there seemed to be.

I think its important to realise that some cars shouldn't be modified because they are either very rare or historically significant but for something that is still reasonably plentiful and was built in large numbers it can be modified to reflect the owners tastes whether that be a simple paint job and a couple of bonnet stripes or a full on fire breathing engine conversion, lambo style doors and a roof chop.

It would be a dull old world if we all liked the same (and in my case if everyone was like me you wouldn't be able to buy a Mini Traveller, MK2 Jag or frogeye sprite for love nor money :-)

Thanks mate! I appreciate it :proud:

I do very much agree that certain cars are definitely too valuable to modify. At least nothing irreversible anyway! I was lucky that mine is just a City E and was a bare shell when I got it, so it was like a blank canvas! ;)
I'm not sure I agree that certain cars shouldn't be modified- although I suppose it depends on what would happen to it otherwise. My Hornet is lightly modified, but I'd have no qualms about doing something major should I decide to- partially because at least my way it's being looked after and maintained. Far worse for me is a standard car being left to rot- I'd much rather see a loved car with a purple bodykit than a standard car dumped in a yard somewhere.

I have to say, if i wasn't allowed to modify my cars, I'd have no interest in the mini scene whatsoever.

P.S. Love yours, particularly the wheels- my steels are being sent off for banding this week!
I quite agree but a normal Hornet isn't very very rare or historically significant (no offence intended), if it were the very first Hornet or were owned by someone important/famous then IMHO it shouldn't be modified from how it was in period.

As an example 621 AOK should always be kept as standard as possible as its the first of its type, on the other hand a mid 1980's City is fair game to modify as the owner wants.

If someone found a 970 Cooper S in a barn would it be right to chop it up and do a Z Cars conversion on it?

For cars to be in the don't modify category they need to be very rare or historically significant i.e. if you went out with a big wad of cash you either can't buy one (because its the only one) or won't be able to buy another one because its so rare.

Depends on what the alternative was- be taken out the barn and restored, then no. Left in the barn to rot (Or cut up and the V5 used somewhere else)? Cut it up and do what you want to it, as long as it's being taken care of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users