#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:34 PM

I don't know if there are any off the shelf kits for them.

If not, you need to test a Hydragas using for Spring Rate and measure how much Spring Compression Travel you need as well as any pre-loading.

Then work out the diameter of the space you have in the Subframe to fit a Spring, and a total length available, then go see a Company who winds Springs. From that basic Data, they should be able to work out what spring you need. Be sure to specify Ground Ends.

If I recall, the Spring Towers are Open Topped in a Metro, so you may need to make some closed tops.

I would also suggest allowing some space of a Hilo type of unit, so you can do some trim adjustments and incorporate in to that provision for a Compressor Tool to aid their fitting.

This might well be possible on a Metro as there's a longer space available that in a Mini.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:47 PM

it is quite easy but kinda ruins the use of the car as you either over spring it or are limited to what you can use it for.   you can use Mini rear type coil shock all around but not the Mini offset type. you will need to do some work at the rear as there is no where to mount shocks on the arms.

#4 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:48 PM

it is quite easy but kinda ruins the use of the car as you either over spring it or are limited to what you can use it for.   you can use Mini rear type coil shock all around but not the Mini offset type. you will need to do some work at the rear as there is no where to mount shocks on the arms.

What are the characteristics of an over sprung car???

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

What are the characteristics of an over sprung car???

oh the joys of springs. when the damper cant control the wheel. harder springs need more damping to control them. but then with the Minis falling rate suspension design you tend to need harder springs it resist initial compression which means a harsher ride that needed . totally different when put into race car situations though.

#6 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:41 PM

My metro 

I went from the pinder 350lb spring to 500 i think it was, the car now seems to bounce forwards and back.

I have a video of this from the outside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users