22 replies to this topic

#1 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:08 AM

Hi again guys. Hopefully you can shed some light on all the options.

I have a 1275, twin 1.25 su’s and my old exhaust has given up the ghost. So time for an upgrade.

The question, is the maniflow lcb and exhaust system worth the extra money?
Is there an alternative more budget friendly option, without compromising on quality?
I’d ideally like it to be a standard looking system and not be too noisy so most likely a twin box system?
I have, on previous minis fitted the cheaper lcbs from the likes of minispeed etc and am relatively impressed but I’d like to do it once and do it right.
Any suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks.

#2 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:14 AM

You can’t get much better than Maniflow. Go for an LCB and twin side exit pipe for quieter operation and a more std look.

#3 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:36 AM

The big question is, is the maniflow option worth the considerable extra money they charge?
It’s the one I keep coming back to but am on the fence if the money is warranted?

Thanks.

#4 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:44 AM

I've not bought a new manifold since the early 90's, but back then the only lcb's that fitted properly were the maniflows and Janspeeds. Cheap ones were pretty grim and generally fouled the body or driveshafts. I'm still running the maniflow long 3 into 1 I bought in 1991. I've always used the RC40 exhaust in single or twin box, just the standard bore mild steel versions in side exit, never had a maniflow system but from memory the rc40 is cheaper and fits and lasts well.

#5 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

Are there a any downsides to the stainless steel version of the RC40?

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:14 AM

RC40 with a lcb manifold

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:15 AM

RC40 with a lcb manifold

#8 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:01 AM

Are there a any downsides to the stainless steel version of the RC40?

I've had my SS millenium system on for well over 15 years and it still looks like new. The mild steel Y piece rotted out so I replaced it with a SS LCB and Y piece, so far so good. I have heard they can warpe at the gasket face but I've not had it on long enough to find out.

Edited by panky, 04 February 2019 - 11:02 AM.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

The best quality is undoubtedly the Maniflow LCB with the side exit twin box system. The front box is a 'cherry-bomb and the rear box is as standard.

It will be good for performance, long-lasting and not to noisy. It passes the noise regulations for historic road rallies which are quite strict.

The twin box RC40 system is also OK, but not as well made ad the Maniflow. in fact the RC40 is slightly quieter than the Maniflow.

It's your choice really.

#10 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

Manifold wise, I would go for the maniflow freeflow. Superb manifolds, fit great, no Y piece to have to seal and I even ran it on a 94bhp 1275 without issue (it may lave lost 1 or 2 BHP at peak, but had better torque was Spamspeeds thoughts when he set it up on his rollers).

Exhaust wise, if your on a budget, and want it to look stock/be quiet, then a twin box RC40 is the route I'd go. Personally I prefer a maniflow system.

Stainless manifold, I wouldn't spend the extra on it myself.

#11 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

Agree with Craig. Unless you're at the limits of an LCB, I wouldn't bother. Even the Maniflow Y-piece is pain to get sealed up properly and the steel they've been using recently rusts like it's been under the sea for a decade. The Freeflow is just an easier option all round and doesn't hurt power in any noticeable form on most road engines.

#12 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:59 PM

The Maniflow systems are great and good for 15 years on my daily before the perforated tube in the silencers started to let go a bit.

I have had one for 20 years on my Cooper but it doesn`t get out much.

I have been disappointed with the RC40`s durability in the past and you really do get what you pay for.

I use bog standard silicone sealant on exhaust flanges, it lasts forever and never cracks and falls out. It seems to be excellent at protecting the pipe from surface rust as well.

#13 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:12 PM

I recently changed from an rc40 twin box with millennium headers to full maniflow single box with stage 2 lcb.
I thought it was going to be louder but to my surprise, no.
I also got the maniflow fitting kit.
Best fitting exhaust system ever, no leaks, sounds super amazing, beautiful crisp tone and the exhaust tip is nicely rolled.
100% best upgrade I’ve done on the car.
It’s the age old saying, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Chris.Williams, 04 February 2019 - 06:13 PM.

#14 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:13 PM

The best quality is undoubtedly the Maniflow LCB with the side exit twin box system. The front box is a 'cherry-bomb and the rear box is as standard.

It will be good for performance, long-lasting and not to noisy. It passes the noise regulations for historic road rallies which are quite strict.

The twin box RC40 system is also OK, but not as well made ad the Maniflow. in fact the RC40 is slightly quieter than the Maniflow.

It's your choice really.

This. I've had a duff RC40 but never had an issue with maniflow. Manifold wise, I'm a fan of the maniflow freeflow. Excellent quality, no silly y piece and performs as well, (arguably better) as an lcb on a 1275. In fact, I've run them on cars with up to 90bhp without issue.

As to price, you get what you pay for. Maniflow are the best, pure and simple.

#15 Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

I recently bought a maniflow system and LCB. I went to maniflow in Salisbury, it’s a joy to be at such an engineering shop. It’s also great to be able to speak to the family who run the business and get direct advice from the people that made the system. Interestingly they steeered me away from getting the stainless system; they said that whilst the system will last for years, the sound deadening deteriorates still and ought to be replaced at around the same time the non stainless would have rotted out anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users