20 replies to this topic

#1 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:22 PM

Hi all,went to start the mini this morning only not to be greeted with the usual buzzing noise coming from the electric fuel pump so surprise surprise car wouldn’t start. I checked under the subframe and all wiring seems ok so I assume it’s the pump itself. Just wondering if anyone else has changed one of these pumps and can give some advice on how to go about it and if I need a positive or negative pump.

Attached Files

Edited by tomBERTfrancis, 04 February 2019 - 08:24 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

buzzing is normally lack of fuel.

might need the filter cleaning. see the hex end there is a filter under there. but stop the fuel before removing it or the pump, also does not look like it is mounted on the rubbers. not good.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:37 PM

8VWQYyw.jpg

fNCEOmy.jpg

S1NMewE.jpg

watch out for flying things

#4 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the reply,when the noise was apparent the car ran perfectly but all of a sudden no noise car isn’t getting enough fuel to start,do you think it would be best to replace the unit? Is yours a Positive or negative

#5 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:39 AM

Are you 100% sure the pump is getting power? do you have a 12V test lamp (https://www.ebay.co....tm/331676618490)?

#6 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:14 AM

Hi,I’m pretty sure they are alright I’ve followed the wire through to the fuse box and all seems ok

#7 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

What do you mean by following the wire thought to the fusebox? As suggested you really need to confirm via testing to ensure you have the expected voltage on the wire that goes into the pump, with respect to earth. Otherwise you could just be wasting your time and money messing with the pump.

#8 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

Ok so I need to test it first for the correct voltage? If it’s not giving out what should be my next step? Sorry never had to deal with an electric pump before always had mechanical.

#9 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:12 AM

Give it a few sharp taps with the handle of a screw driver, always works on my Minor.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:14 PM

First of all test the power supply with a Multi-meter. You should have around 12.5 volts with just the ignition on. Check the earth connection as well and clean the earth point.

To confirm the polarity, check which terminal of the battery the earth is on. Very early Minis were positive earth, but that is very rare now as even the older cars will have been converted to negative earth.

If you have power, remove the outlet pipe, put a catch bowl under the outlet pipe and get someone to switch it on for a couple of seconds. If no fuel comes out it is the pump. It could be the filter, but just clamp off the inlet pipe, remove the pump and check the filter.

If the pump is FUBAR, you would do well to change it for a FACET pump, (or, for ultimate reliability, two FACET pumps fitted in parallel). You can fit a FACET in the same place, although you may need to make up a bracket. Alternatively the pump can be bolted through the rear seat base panel with the anti-vibration mountings as supplied in the FACET kit.

It is a simple job.

#11 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply I will certainly give this a go over the weekend where would I find the earth for the fuel pump?

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply I will certainly give this a go over the weekend where would I find the earth for the fuel pump?

depends how it was fitted. normally just the body of the pump. but as that is attached to a rubber mounted part they could be a cable earthing the subframe to the body. but as you say it is buzzing it has an earth and it is getting power.

like I said a buzzing is lack of fuel.

if the tank is full and there is not a pool of fuel under the car the pump is being starved of fuel. check the filter.

#13 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

Ok few things to check there ? thanks for the help

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

I understood that he was not greeted by the usual buzzing, which indicates no power to the pump, a bad earth or a duff pump. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It's easy to check which so long as you have a multi-meter, and no classic Mini owner should be without one of those. 

#15 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

Yes no buzzing noise. One multi meter on order as you said essential when owning a mini ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users