• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:00 PM

You may also need a soft clamp to clamp the fuel pipe whilst removing the pump, assuming it needs moving.

If you have some mole grips, just get a short length of broom-handle, say 1" long, cut it in half along the centre-line and use that in the mole grips to clamp the pipe without risking splitting it. When the delivery, i.e. outlet, pipe is removed some small amount of petrol will drain back, but it'll soon stop. Just be careful with petrol and ensure that there can be no sparks.

If you need a pump the Mini Spares Part Number is SS502 together with:

FPA905 Rubber Mount Kit x1

FPA906 Pre pump filter union x1

FPA903 Union x1

The pump comes with an earth wire with a ring terminal on the end.

Everyone will tell me I am wrong, but I don't use the rubber mounting kit on my twin-FACET installaton. I just bolt the pumps solidly to the seat base panel. They have been on there for a long time with no problems.

#17 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:40 AM

It's easy to check which so long as you have a multi-meter, and no classic Mini owner should be without one of those. 

You'll be on the hook to explain how a multi-meter work next Cooperman :D

#18 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

Oh darn was just about to ask ???

#19 1964Woody

1964Woody

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:41 PM

Sorry to revive this older topic but I think I have a similar issue. 1275 1991 Mainstream. Idles beautifully but no power when hit the gas. Have gone through a lot of troubleshooting and am now looking at the fuel pump (6 year old electric Facet Mini Spares #SS501). Thinking that it may be either a partially clogged pre filter or a shot pump.  I see Cooperman suggesting the SS502. The SS501 specs are 12 Gallons/hr @ psi of 2.5-3. The SS502 specs are 18 gallons / hr at psi of 4.00 to 5.5. Two questions- any suggestions on how I test my pump without taking it all apart and is the SS501 or the SS502 the more appropriate pump for my 1275 with an HIF44 carb? Thanks.

#20 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

Ss501 will be more than adequate.

Have you tried removing the pump inlet and using a Jerry can of fresh fuel to see if the car runs better?

I'd then be looking at the electrical components for wear etc

Edited by cal844, 09 October 2019 - 01:48 PM.

#21 1964Woody

1964Woody

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

Thanks. I have not yet done any troubleshooting on the pump. I had been wondering whether fresh fuel might solve it. It does idle very well and I just don't thing 'stale' fuel itself would account for the dramatic drop in power when I hit the gas. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users