#1 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:58 PM

I was kindly given a cheap Impact Wrench for Christmas: Hilka 24v 200Nm..... absolutely useless and couldn't even undo a wheel nut when fully charged.

https://www.robertdy...ASABEgIXW_D_BwE

So I sent it back and got my money back. Ended up getting one from Von Haus instead which has quite good customer reviews, also for £80 and so far it seems really good. Very powerful compared to the last one!! Goes up to 240Nm apparently and I believe it.

https://www.vonhaus....ASABEgK2r_D_BwE

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:19 AM

My mate Paul has a Snapon one which he calls the gun of fun. It needs servicing now but there was not much it would not undo. The only downside is the price.

#3 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:20 AM

I'm running a snap on one now, on full charge it can snap bolts if you're heavy handed when tightening. I previously had a Sealey 19.2 (battery went) and a Clarke (switch went).

Once mine gives up I'll go over to Milwalkee.

#4 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

ryobi for me , works great for spinning off wheel nuts qith a 5.0 battery 

#5 PiG

PiG

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

I have a ryobi one, it's good but won't spin a wheel nut off unless I've cracked it with a wrench first (130Nm on Porsche).  I'm only using 1.5mah battery and been doing a bit of research into weather a larger battery gives more power as of course P=VA according to science wondered if it translates to raw power at the wrench though?

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

I have a ryobi one, it's good but won't spin a wheel nut off unless I've cracked it with a wrench first (130Nm on Porsche).  I'm only using 1.5mah battery and been doing a bit of research into weather a larger battery gives more power as of course P=VA according to science wondered if it translates to raw power at the wrench though?

no it does not give more power. it just can give the same power as a smaller one for longer. BUT the power needed can vary. A in your equation is not the same as Ah. 

some reading https://www.allabout...attery-ratings/

#7 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

I bought one of these puppies from Machine Mart 

Really good value for money I reckon. Made a world of a difference for undoing bolts but I haven't tested it on things such as crank pulley bolts etc 

#8 PiG

PiG

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:29 PM

no it does not give more power. it just can give the same power as a smaller one for longer. BUT the power needed can vary. A in your equation is not the same as Ah. 

Thank you, good explanation and it's what I'd origninally assumed before complicating things by my research!  The Ryobi impact wrench probably doesn't live up to it's 400Nm claim in that case then!  Still a very useful tool mind you.

Edited by PiG, 08 February 2019 - 01:29 PM.

#9 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

Actually that Vonhaus one looks great for the price, its probably better at getting tough stuff off than the Clarke one I bought I bet.

#10 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:28 AM

I had a 240V VonHaus one. Unfortunately it was DOA. Well not dead, it just wouldn't engage the impact mechanism. They gave my money back without any quibble though. Didn't even have to send it back.

Got a Clarke one in the end. Seems pretty good. Struggles with wheel nuts that have been done up at a garage to crazy Lb/ft, but that's to be expected. Luckily I have power in my garage, so CBA with battery ones.

And an impact UJ and extensions are extremely useful!

#11 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:29 PM

The Clarke and Von Haus ones look pretty similar to be fair. Will see how I get on.

Do you need to use the special impact sockets? Someone told me you do.. but the actual thing doesn't say that anywhere.

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:09 PM

The Clarke and Von Haus ones look pretty similar to be fair. Will see how I get on.

Do you need to use the special impact sockets? Someone told me you do.. but the actual thing doesn't say that anywhere.

you should do as standard ones can fracture.

#13 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:50 PM

It's also worth remembering that there are a couple of different Ryobi impact wrenches, one is 265nm the other is 400nm. The 400 is very capable but you kinda have to put one of the big batteries in it if for no other reason than you'll drain a small one in no time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users