Photo
- - - - -

Brake Light Troubleshooting Mk 1

Best Answer CharlieNZ , 09 February 2019 - 03:34 AM

Spot on guys, thanks. I think I was blinkered by thinking that the brake lights would work even with the ignition switch off, so they couldn't be fed off that fuse. Despite the evidence of the wiring diagram...

I think the wire must have an internal break. Just ran another one and problem is solved.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieNZ

CharlieNZ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:26 AM

I feel a bit pathetic for not being able to solve what must be one of the simplest wiring problems there is, but when it comes to electrics I am very easily stumped and would really appreciate some advice.

Brake lights on my '62 don't work. I checked the hydraulic switch and it seems to do what it is supposed to. To eliminate it from the troubleshooting I put a jumper across the two wires so it is always on. The bulbs are good. I've checked with a test light and I'm getting no power to the bulb sockets. 

I can't detect any power at the brake light switch, but presumably I should? At the two fuses, my test light sees power to the bottom fuse when ignition is on, but not otherwise. I can't detect power at any time on the top one. I'm very confused by this, and would really appreciate someone who could tell me what I SHOULD be seeing.

I've looked really hard at the wiring diagram, but it just confirms for me that I really know very little about electrics. I can't see where the stop-light circuit gets its power from, and where I should be looking for power at all. Surely brake lights work even when ignition is off for instance, but I don't know what should be live?

My assumption is that there is a poor connection somewhere, but ANY advice about how to track it down with just a test light and a multi-meter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

The two wires going to the Switch should be a Green one and a Green / Purple one.

The Green one is the 'live' feed, but it comes via the Ignition Switch and then a Fuse.

If that has no power on it, check the Fuse (there's only two, one has a white wire on one side and loads of green wires on the other, it'll be that one), if that's OK, actually test with your test lamp that there is power on the Green wire side of the fuse block.

If that's OK, then check how well the Green wires are making a connection to the Fuse Block as they do corrode.

#3 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

Yes, spot on Moke with that

Additionally, the wires on the spade terminals may look ok, but they are very deceiving litte buggers

Check the wire properly that it is properly crimped and the wire itself is not corroded through ( looks good but in fact is shot)

#4 CharlieNZ

CharlieNZ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:34 AM   Best Answer

Spot on guys, thanks. I think I was blinkered by thinking that the brake lights would work even with the ignition switch off, so they couldn't be fed off that fuse. Despite the evidence of the wiring diagram...

I think the wire must have an internal break. Just ran another one and problem is solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users