#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:35 AM

DALLAS USA – A drug investigation lead to the discovery of a rare vintage car stolen from a Dallas collector, police say.
A 1969 Riley Elf that was stolen in December is now back in its owner’s parking lot, after Grand Prairie narcotics officers and a Dallas police helicopter investigated.
Steve Gutierrez, the owner of the car, put a chain and lock on the collectible car when he took it home Friday from Dallas Auto Pound.
unknown-1.jpeg?w=420&h=560
“Overall it’s good to have it back,” said Gutierrez. “It’s peace of mind and I can go forward. I’m able to enjoy the car eventually I’m going to pass it on to a family member it’s a relief for everybody that’s involved.”
The car was stolen two months ago from outside Gutierrez’s loft near Downtown.
Its unique features, including a British flag on the roof, should have made it easy to find.
The Grand Prairie Police Department got a tip that it was being kept under a tarp outside a known drug house in South Dallas.
A police helicopter flew over the suspected house and saw part of the car’s roof.
Grand Prairie narcotics officers said they obtained a search warrant and recovered the car Thursday.
No one was at the house but fingerprints were lifted from the car, which will hopefully lead to an arrest.
Gutierrez wasn’t only surprised to have the car back but he also found it in good condition.
“It’s 90 percent, 99 percent the way I left it,” said Gutierrez. “Something that’s personal like this you can’t put a price tag on it.”
The car is missing its battery and needs to be cleaned. Once that is fixed, Gutierrez said he plans to take it for a drive Sunday.

https://dfw.cbslocal...-yhcj5dXdvTtqcY

Edited by mab01uk, 10 February 2019 - 10:36 AM.

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

If that had been in the UK, it would have gone something like this:

Hi my cars been stolen.

Heres a crime reference number.

Arn't you coming out?

Its insured isn't it?

#3 Mrplastic

Mrplastic

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

Hi my cars been stolen.
Arn't you coming out?
Its insured isn't it?

A local house was burgled.. we know the owner and as told:

Called the police
Police said do you have any clue who did it, any evidence, any cctv or any blood on the scene?
Owner- no
Police - it’s unlikely we’ll catch them but here’s a crime ref number

This was three years ago and she’s yet to have the police visit.

#4 Moke Spider

Moke Spider

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF Team
  • 8,252 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

Hi my cars been stolen.
Arn't you coming out?
Its insured isn't it?

Called the police
Police said do you have any clue who did it, any evidence, any cctv or any blood on the scene?
Owner- no

Sorry for going off topic here, but what kind of message does this send to the criminal world?

No, it doesn't need an answer.

#5 Mrplastic

Mrplastic

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:11 PM

Hi my cars been stolen.
Arn't you coming out?
Its insured isn't it?

Called the police
Owner- no

Sorry for going off topic here, but what kind of message does this send to the criminal world?

I think it’s perfectly on topic.. we’ve been told for years by UK police Not to chase up crimes or create crime reports (so that the crime figures seem lower.)
The police budgets are then cut but they have higher efficiency targets for crime resolution.. these targets force them to chase “easy crimes” like neighbor complaints and minor infractions by generally law abiding citizens while serious crimes are then ignored.

I don’t want to be a criminal but it’s deffinately starting to look easier then keeping on the straight and narrow!

#6 Moke Spider

Moke Spider

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF Team
  • 8,252 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

Hi my cars been stolen.
Arn't you coming out?
Its insured isn't it?

Called the police
Owner- no

I think it’s perfectly on topic.. we’ve been told for years by UK police Not to chase up crimes or create crime reports (so that the crime figures seem lower.)
The police budgets are then cut but they have higher efficiency targets for crime resolution.. these targets force them to chase “easy crimes” like neighbor complaints and minor infractions by generally law abiding citizens while serious crimes are then ignored.

I don’t want to be a criminal but it’s deffinately starting to look easier then keeping on the straight and narrow!

I don't even know how to respond to that. Maybe after I get the disgust and revolt from my mind,,

#7 Mrplastic

Mrplastic

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:57 PM

Hi my cars been stolen.
Arn't you coming out?
Its insured isn't it?

Called the police
Owner- no

I don't even know how to respond to that. Maybe after I get the disgust and revolt from my mind,,
Tell me about it!

We’ve got kids stabbing each other every night in inner cities knowing that it’s very likely they’ll never get caught!
Gangs openly taunt each other on YouTube as they know our police don’t have enough resources to deal with them.

I’ve got respect for what police do in the face of adversity and cuts etc that have made them a skeleton of a workable crime prevention system. I’d rather pay more tax then line the pocket of criminals who know it’s unlikely they will ever face consequence of their actions.

A guy had his throat slit last night because he refused someone a cigarette...

https://www.dailymai...ast-London.html

Car theft pales into insignificance so doesn’t even warrant a visit now by police. Genuinely..They don’t ask neighbors if they’ve seen anything.. don’t check local cctv or cross reference similar crimes.
Just give us a crime ref number for insurance as Homersimpson rightly pointed out.

As a classic car owner I’ve fitted top end cctv that’s openly visible in vain hope of it acting as a deterrent, sadly though I worry that even if I had clear footage little would be done...

Edited by Mrplastic, 10 February 2019 - 09:01 PM.

#8 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

It's been going on for years. Much longer than the OMG cuts!

About 15 years ago my good friend had a Fiesta Si. Did the usual 18 year old thing. Four 6x9 speakers, amp, crafted his own parcel shelf out of MDF. Took him a long time to save up and fit it all.

One night somebody bent the top of the door out, broke in and nicked the lot.

He was gutted! Really gutted. The Police never came out, and showed absolutely no interest in even doing the most basic investigation. No CCTV check (it was next to a Tesco), nothing.

Now to most people it's a unimportant crime. Who cares? There's murderers to be caught. But when it happens to you, it can be very distressing. Even a token effort to show willing by the police would have made a difference.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

Recently it has been in the UK news that their is a proposal to not bother with any jail sentences for 'low level' crimes like house burglary and car theft.....I don't consider these to be a low level crime (whatever that means) if you are the unfortunate victim of such a crime and as said what message does this send out to a potential criminals?

Edited by mab01uk, 11 February 2019 - 12:37 PM.

#10 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:37 PM

Fast forward a few weeks and we had our work Mitsubishi L200 parked in a similar spot.

An officer was going around checking VIN numbers. We got a call saying there was a problem with ours and we had to meet them. I had the vehicle then so had to drive to my mates to meet the Police. They took the engine number etc, but had a very accusing tone about them. Threatening to impound the vehicle etc.

We explained that we were just employees and the vehicle was bought brand new by a legitimate company. 30 employees, 3 offices. The company obviously had all the paperwork.

Then we got another call for another meet. They wanted us to bring it to them. We wanted then to come to us. In the end we had to meet in the middle. They took the numbers again, and openly accused us of having changed the engine number since we last met. We were incredulous.

Could it have had something to do with reading it under torch light? Could it possibly have been their mistake?? No. She banged on about how serious it was.

Turns out there was a mix up at the factory.

I don't envy the job they have to do, but those two incidents really made us lose faith, having never dealt with the Police before.

It smacked of low hanging fruit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares