#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:05 PM

Think I'll be getting some padding for the roll cage before the mini comes out of hibernation 

MSA regs say that we HAVE to apply padding any where there is a chance of body or HELMET coming into contact with the cage.

and then there are the arseholes that fit the bolt in from the outside and the nuts on the inside just cause it is easier. not far from the drivers temple.

#17 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:53 PM

Think I'll be getting some padding for the roll cage before the mini comes out of hibernation 

MSA regs say that we HAVE to apply padding any where there is a chance of body or HELMET coming into contact with the cage.

and then there are the arseholes that fit the bolt in from the outside and the nuts on the inside just cause it is easier. not far from the drivers temple.

Umm good point, need to check the bolts

#18 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

make nice holes in helmets as well.

#19 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:32 AM

Think of what happened to Schumacher. He had a helmet mounted GoPro attached to his helmet which caused a point load to the helmet in a way it was not designed for.

Edited by Curley, 15 February 2019 - 12:41 AM.

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:39 AM

Think of what happened to Schumacher. He has a helmet mounted GoPro attached to his helmet which caused a point load to the helmet in a way it was not designed for.

exactly

and a rollcage is not designed to be any good in a RTA.

#21 Archived3

Archived3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Archived
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

-

Edited by Mrplastic, 17 March 2019 - 10:45 AM.

#22 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Yup.. no point in having a roll cage in any car, thats why they are banned in all forms of motorsport including rally.

I’ve got one in my mini shell that’s got full bars and diagonals. It even ties in to the subframe mounting areas. It’s seamless approved tubing. Deffinately going to take it out now as there’s no way in any form of crash or rollover that this will help save me. It’s just gonna help my shell collapse in around me.

What a waste of money.. (joke)

If you want to fit a cage.. do it. It’s your car for you to enjoy as you see fit.. Just make sure to do your homework on padding and suitability. Insurance companies may not approve as there’s a thought that you’ll drive harder or take more risks with the perceived extra safety a cage may offer.

Some “look” at me type cages like the alloy half rear cage that was about at one time will NOT help you in a crash.. they may actually make things much worse.

A decent well fitted cage of correct type can be life saver in the right situation. Even if you just want the “look” of a cage please make sure it’s of high quality tubing thats seamless and up to the job.

Pretty obvious you've not actually considered any of the reasons not to drive with a cage and no helmet. Ho hum.

#23 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:24 AM

Yup.. no point in having a roll cage in any car, thats why they are banned in all forms of motorsport including rally.

Sorry, can I double check I read that right. Are you stating roll cages - or to give them there correct name a safety cage - are banned in all forms of motorsport? Or are we talking about cages in standard road cars?

#24 Archived3

Archived3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Archived
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:37 AM

-

Edited by Mrplastic, 17 March 2019 - 10:46 AM.

#25 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:53 AM

Most modern cars now have a passenger survival cell that is effectively a full roll cage 'built in' with structural steel members instead of tubing, notice the increased section on windscreen pillars in modern cars, high waistlines and smaller side windows compared to classic cars of the 1960/70/80's when slim pillars and large glass areas were all the rage. Different types of steel are also incorporated into areas of a modern bodyshell to behave differently in any impact and give energy absorbing crush zones.

You can make a classic Mini bodyshell very rigid with a full rollcage and provide a safer passenger cell which deforms less on impact and gives a better survival space (if the driver is well strapped in) but what you can't do in an old design of small car like the Mini is build in the crush/crumple zones to absorb impact energy, therefore the full energy of impact is delivered to the drivers body and organs (and any passengers) and it is this that often kills people who look otherwise uninjured.

In Mini racing/competition there was a problem until fairly recently where drivers necks which also carried the extra weight of a crash helmet on impact, the extra energy transfer from rigid full cages caused some drivers to be killed by whiplash neck injuries, until the wearing of the Hans Device as used in F1 became common or mandatory under the rules.

Edited by mab01uk, 16 February 2019 - 12:10 PM.

#26 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:55 PM

Most modern cars now have a passenger survival cell that is effectively a full roll cage 'built in' with structural steel members instead of tubing, notice the increased section on windscreen pillars in modern cars, high waistlines and smaller side windows compared to classic cars of the 1960/70/80's when slim pillars and large glass areas were all the rage.

Yes.  Accidents are much more survivable in modern cars but you're more likely to have one as you can't see out the things properly.  Poor motorcyclists, they get hidden nicely in the blind spots created by those huge A pillars, but at least the person in the car won't be hurt. 

#27 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Can anyone suggest good padding I was looking at the safety devices FIA padding but they don't do it anymore as their supplier has stopped producing it and they have to get their new design homologated

#28 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

Merlin Motorsport list these:-

FIA Approved Roll Cage Padding

https://www.merlinmo...ding-451-100-00

Longacre High Density Roll Cage Padding

https://www.merlinmo...g-3ft-long-6516

Roll Cage Padding

https://www.merlinmo...etre-length-rcp

Demon Tweeks:-

https://www.demon-tw...l cage padding/

Edited by mab01uk, 04 March 2019 - 07:35 PM.

#29 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

Merlin Motorsport list these:-

FIA Approved Roll Cage Padding

https://www.merlinmo...ding-451-100-00

Longacre High Density Roll Cage Padding

https://www.merlinmo...g-3ft-long-6516