Photo
- - - - -

Is It Time To Restore?

Best Answer sonikk4 , 10 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

I have seen far far worse.

The boot floor could be as simple as a new battery box, the hole in the boot floor at the rear needs to be cleaned up properly to see whats happening.

Doors, yes new skins needed.

The scuttle, now i would take the windscreen out, remove the filler and see exactly what is going on there.

The A panels are full of filler, replace them but be prepared to see rust behind.

If there is rust around the rear window at the bottom and down the sides then a new panel will be needed.

Outer sills remove and see whats lurking there.

The rear valance could just be surface rust but strip the paint off to see whats going on.

And the rest of it i would say now is the time to rip into the car and start stripping it all down ready to restore, thats my personal take on it.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

Evening All,

Debated posting this for a few days now. Need some advise on whether its time to restore our Mini. 

Things i want to clarify first. This mini was always bought as a resto project. It happened to have 9 months MOT on when we bought it so have been driving it and messing around with it since we bought it but the plan was always to restore it. I've kind of lost sign of that initial plan because i love driving it so much. I expect to spend money restoring it and for it to take a while.I'm very much an amateur mechanic and will be learning as i go so will defiantly make mistakes. I want to do as much work as possible. I will teach myself to weld with the help of a few more experienced people. May even do a course.

Easiest way to do this i think is to list all the bad points.

Rust

Mini is starting to show the common signs of rust in the usual spots. 

• Boot floor - Quite bad surface rust on the boot floor with a small hole in the floor and battery box as well
  • Rear Window (unsure of Panel Name) - bubbling up around the bottom of the window and down the seams (both sides)
  • Rear Bumper - below the boot the paint is bubbling up
  • Rear Fog - Paint is rusting behind the rear fog light
  • Top of Scuttle Panel - where the panel meets the window there's a really poor bodge job which is rusting through to the inside
  • Roof - Where the seam meets the roof its bubbling up
  • drivers door - completely rotten lol
  • Outer Sills - looks like they've been patched/replaced
  • Bonnet - completely rotten through and rattling 
  • A posts are rusting through at the bottom and suspect they're in a bad way

Mechanical and electrical 

The engine runs fine and has taken us on some good days out over the last few months. the head has a small chip which i did when screwing back in the thermostat before (school boy error when screwing into blind screw holes) 

There is however some mechanical issues.

• Knocking noise from under the floor when lifting off accelerator. think its either engine mounts, sub-frame mounts or even the exhaust hitting the gear lever housings. 
  • gearbox slips out of second gear when the revs get high. 
  • wearing/whining when lifting off in 1st at low speeds
  • All suspension bushes/rubbers seem to be perished. 
  • Shocks are rusted 
  • exhaust is a patchwork quilt and blowing 
  • clicking when steering right. potentially CV Joint although sounds like its coming through the steering column under the plastic cover.
  • The wiring if you have seen my previous posts is just a real mess and starting to think is potentially dangerous with some of the stuff i've found

I could go on and on lol but i suppose why i'm posting is at what point to i stop and start stripping its down rather than fixing different bits. My worry is going over the same things twice and the mini will just get worst. My other thought process is carry on enjoying it for as long as possible but with MOT due next month and now panels that are rotten through I think its time. Its now in a garage so can do it at my own pace. 

Here's a few pictures of what I've found this weekend.

thanks 

Attached Files

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:34 PM   Best Answer

I have seen far far worse.

The boot floor could be as simple as a new battery box, the hole in the boot floor at the rear needs to be cleaned up properly to see whats happening.

Doors, yes new skins needed.

The scuttle, now i would take the windscreen out, remove the filler and see exactly what is going on there.

The A panels are full of filler, replace them but be prepared to see rust behind.

If there is rust around the rear window at the bottom and down the sides then a new panel will be needed.

Outer sills remove and see whats lurking there.

The rear valance could just be surface rust but strip the paint off to see whats going on.

And the rest of it i would say now is the time to rip into the car and start stripping it all down ready to restore, thats my personal take on it.

#3 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:07 PM

Thank you for the advise. It’s much appreciated. I think I agree. It maybe time to investigate deeper and see what we’re facing. I’m excited to get stuck into it however so might just have to go the shows in the bmw for a few years ?

#4 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

It’s not going to pass another mot as it is.

It’s time to restore

#5 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

I think maybe I know that just wanting to keep driving it for as long as possible ☹️ On the plus side at least I’ll always have something to do now ?

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

Also judging by the liberal use of filler everywhere i think once you start to remove paint more horrors could be uncovered.

#7 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

At least I’ll have something to moan about ? cheers for the help though much appreciated

#8 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:53 PM

I think maybe I know that just wanting to keep driving it for as long as possible ☹ On the plus side at least I’ll always have something to do now

The problem is, although it’s got an mot it’s not Road worthy.

#9 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:58 PM

Yeah I agree. That’s my concern. While even though getting an Mot maybe possible I don’t want to be driving something that’s unsafe for me and other road users. That’s why I thought I’d ask ? I question the mot it had last few years. Past with no advisory’s ? ?

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:30 PM

Yeah I agree. That’s my concern. While even though getting an Mot maybe possible I don’t want to be driving something that’s unsafe for me and other road users. That’s why I thought I’d ask I question the mot it had last few years. Past with no advisory’s ?

Then i would hate to think whats been done to get a clean ticket if you have all the issues you have mentioned. Stuff like that does not happen overnight.

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:35 PM

I'd say a couple weld repairs and CA pair of good doors will be good to go, my 998 mini is getting rough and probably won't pass another MOT. It's going in for one soon but I have seen a lot worse than the OP's car

#12 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:46 AM

Yeah I agree. That’s my concern. While even though getting an Mot maybe possible I don’t want to be driving something that’s unsafe for me and other road users. That’s why I thought I’d ask I question the mot it had last few years. Past with no advisory’s ?

Then i would hate to think whats been done to get a clean ticket if you have all the issues you have mentioned. Stuff like that does not happen overnight.

yeah that's what i mean. On Paper the car looks great. As the Mrs and the dog are quite often accompanying me on our drives i'm not going to take the risk. Time to be stripped and see what we're dealing with. At best i'll have a few bits of rust to sort and a tidy up. At worst i'll have to fully restore the shell and everything involved. As its a mini it will probably be the latter.

#13 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:21 AM

If you decide the job is too ambitious, take it to Col's Mini Centre in Feckenham. He is VERY good.

Good luck getting it back on the road; it will be worth it.

#14 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:32 AM

If you decide the job is too ambitious, take it to Col's Mini Centre in Feckenham. He is VERY good.

Good luck getting it back on the road; it will be worth it.

Was going to ask if anyone had any experience using Col's

cheers

#15 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:01 PM

Get it tested, if it needs some basic patches have them done. 

Enjoy driving it and make a plan for the resto and get the skills together over the next few months. 

Then tear it down. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users