#31 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:03 PM

Ok so I have posted this info on my other thread 1275 Rebore.

4ojoLRS.jpg

Using the DTI Gauge I found TDC and then set the gauge on the block face and zero'd it. Then gently releasing the magnet I span it around over the piston crown and re-engaged the magnet. Doing this a few times and on 3 of the 4 pistons I found the piston to deck height to be 15 - 15.5 thou. 

This in not an accurate method to measure TDC.

If you are going to use a dial gauge, then mount it so the plunger is over the gudgeon pin, not off to the side of it like this ^. With the normal piston to bore clearance and the rock you'll have on a cold piston, that could be anything up to 0.010" off.

Also, if using a dial gauge, always measure with the piston rising, not falling.

A more accurate method again is to use a Piston Stop.

#32 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

Ok so I have posted this info on my other thread 1275 Rebore.

4ojoLRS.jpg

Using the DTI Gauge I found TDC and then set the gauge on the block face and zero'd it. Then gently releasing the magnet I span it around over the piston crown and re-engaged the magnet. Doing this a few times and on 3 of the 4 pistons I found the piston to deck height to be 15 - 15.5 thou. 

This in not an accurate method to measure TDC.

If you are going to use a dial gauge, then mount it so the plunger is over the gudgeon pin, not off to the side of it like this ^. With the normal piston to bore clearance and the rock you'll have on a cold piston, that could be anything up to 0.010" off.

Also, if using a dial gauge, always measure with the piston rising, not falling.

A more accurate method again is to use a Piston Stop.

So when checking TDC always do it on the rise (I believe I did) but I'll make sure I measure at the centre of the piston.

The picture above though was measuring the piston crown to deck height.

#33 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

The picture above though was measuring the piston crown to deck height.

OK, but the same applies and for the same reason.

At a pre-machined stage, Cooperman's method would be a good guide to this, but I'd suggest running an Oil Stone over the deck for about 10 minutes first,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users