10 replies to this topic

#1 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:06 AM

Looking into getting one for upping the fuel pressure on my MPI. Modifications so far are Stage 4 head, Fast road cam, 52mm throttle body, ported & polished inlet manifold, stage 2 LCB downpipe, and probably a few others I’m forgetting. Minisport say they are a ‘necessity for getting the full power potential from a modified MPI’ any truth to this?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:19 AM

http://www.theminifo...st#entry1892632

general consensus not worth it.

if you are running out of fuel then an adjustable regulator along with an uprated pump would make sense but just a regulator all it does is control the fuel pressure to the injectors but does not increase the fuel to them.

#3 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:09 AM

Thanks mate

#4 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

ive got a stage 2.75 mpi 52mm throttle body not worth it so they say i dont know as aint drove it !!!!!!!cam aint going do much as it has be mot spec .mates say it gose well thou??? dont know as lost me right leg to a puppy dog lmao... true tho sadly ....

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

Looking into getting one for upping the fuel pressure on my MPI. Modifications so far are Stage 4 head, Fast road cam, 52mm throttle body, ported & polished inlet manifold, stage 2 LCB downpipe, and probably a few others I’m forgetting. Minisport say they are a ‘necessity for getting the full power potential from a modified MPI’ any truth to this?

Few points - don't be taken in by 'stages' it's a sliding scale of nonsense with no standardisation between tuners apart from stage 1. What 'fast road cam?' as that doesn't mean much without duration. A polished inlet will be detrimental for air/fuel mixing prior to entering the cylinder head as it removes the tumbling effect of the flow. Don't believe anything those jockies at MiniSport say.

#6 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Few points - don't be taken in by 'stages' it's a sliding scale of nonsense with no standardisation between tuners apart from stage 1. What 'fast road cam?' as that doesn't mean much without duration. A polished inlet will be detrimental for air/fuel mixing prior to entering the cylinder head as it removes the tumbling effect of the flow. Don't believe anything those jockies at MiniSport say.

"a sliding scale of nonsense"  :D  :D will use that one again

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

general consensus not worth it.

if you are running out of fuel then an adjustable regulator along with an uprated pump would make sense but just a regulator all it does is control the fuel pressure to the injectors but does not increase the fuel to them.

The FSE power boost valve is a rising rate regulator. That means the fuel pressure is not one set pressure or 1:1. The power boost valve increases fuel pressure as the reference manifold pressure rises therefore at full throttle the injector flow rate is greater, more fuel means more power as the injection engines are tuned on the lean side of peak torque AFR.

All Naturally aspirated A series engine produce peak torque at around 12.6:1 AFR. The factory tune on the fuel injected engines is around 13.1:1, so there definitely some room for improvement by richening it up a little. What that translates to in power gain wouldn’t be much and probably only noticeable on two back to back power runs on a dyno.

Edited by Sprocket, 18 February 2019 - 01:17 PM.

#8 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

#9 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:50 AM

The head is an avonbar stage 4. Inlet was ported and polished by avonbar. The cam is a swiftune MPI fast road cam if I remember right. Anyway, car goes like the clappers just wondered if there was any potential power gains from a power boost valve. Thanks anyway guys

#10 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

They'll have ported it, not polished it. The avonbar boys know their stuff.

#11 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:03 AM

Yeah Ian was a great help. Completely transformed the car not just in terms of speed but it’s a lot nicer to drive and doesn’t struggle up hills, rarely need to downchange for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users