Photo
- - - - -

Touring Destinations For A Trip To The Uk?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kingpenm3

kingpenm3

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

Good morning! I'm a classic Mini enthusiast from Louisiana that is traveling to London with my wife and 13 year old son for vacation next month. I am looking for suggestions for opportunities to see some Mini history. 

I was already planning a trip to Oxford, but I am hoping to go to the Mini/BMW Museum there as well.  

I believe there is also a British Car Museum about another hour away. Is it worth the visit? 

Any shops/tuners close to London?  

While we are at it I would love any other suggestions for our trip. I have visited London a few times before, but my family has not. Any spots that a teenager would get a kick out of? Food, sights, happening in the beginning of March? Thanks!!

My Mini: 

IMG-20190211-163656.jpg

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:05 PM

Well Minispares springs to mind if you want a shop - just outside London.  Not the most picturesque location though but a few Minis to look at inside and the staff know their stuff. 

#3 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:07 PM

such a shame you have come early as in August we have the IMM60 birthday celebrations in Bristol

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

I was already planning a trip to Oxford, but I am hoping to go to the Mini/BMW Museum there as well.  

I believe there is also a British Car Museum about another hour away. Is it worth the visit? 

The tour of the Oxford MINI factory and Mini museum is well worth doing but I advise you to book online in advance as they get booked up and can rarely take visitors who arrive on the day without pre-booking tickets.

More details here if you scroll down:-

https://www.visit-mini.com/visitmini/

The British Motor Museum at Gaydon is also well worth a visit but is a couple of hours from London up the M40 motorway or if you stayed overnight in Oxford after your visit, you would be only 45 minutes from the museum in Gaydon for the next day.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/

#5 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

Brooklands mini day is on the 24th of march which about an hour away. https://www.brooklan...klands-mini-day

#6 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:21 AM

Worth checking out Ace Cafe in London if you've not been before :) very historic little place and theres usually an event on of some sort every weekend.

Edited by Chris1992, 14 February 2019 - 12:22 AM.

#7 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:08 AM

You can rent a classic mini for a tour of London. Never done it myself already owning one, but could be great fun! I've seen them a lot whizzing around the city centre. https://smallcarbigcity.com
Also 2nd the British Motor Museum at Gaydon.

Edited by cooperd70, 14 February 2019 - 06:09 AM.

#8 haz

haz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

I'd suggest taking in some driving roads... in the south you have cheddar gorge and the south downs. If you want to venture up north, or wales there's plenty more up this way. Black mountain pass, evo triangle in wales and the alston pass & Yorkshire moores in northern England.. among many more.

#9 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

Not being funny but I doubt a family on holiday are going to want to cram into a tiny mini and drive to the middle of nowhere.

Your daughter is going to want to see all the usual stuff:

Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Tower of London, Oxford Street shopping and Harrods, Selfridges etc.

You can knock that lot out in a day, a trip on the London Eye or up the Shard as well.

The Oxford is really nice with loads of historic buildings and such, if you want to visit the Mini museum the wife/daughter could always spend the afternoon punting on the river if they're not too enthusiastic about going.

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

What are 13yr olds in to?

You could tick off a few Harry Potter film locations in London & Oxford without paying the extortionate studio tour fees.

Camden and  Brick Lane are young and trendy areas - should also be some suitable music gigs if you search online.

A football match, try not to call it soccer. There are lower league clubs, not just Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs. As long as you're not too sensitive to colourful language!

There might be activities at the Olympic park.

A boat trip down to Greenwich is a great way to get a sense of the city, usually with an entertaining commentary thrown in.

If you're thinking of using the train, look at buying the tickets online, they're cheaper the more in advance you buy them. 

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:29 AM

how long will you be in the UK?

#12 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:04 PM

Visit Borough Market on the South Bank - google it for market days - you can graze on produce and then its a nice walk along the south bank past the Globe - Tate Modern - to London Eye

Try to pre book (free if pre booked)  trip to the Sky Garden - again google for times etc great views of London and adjacent to the Tower

Free guided tour provided by beefeaters -  check out TOL website for details

For teenager camden market - clothes and music

Brooklands Museum is a great day out too - airplanes - you can go on concorde  - it includes London Transport Museum - great car and motorbike museum - 

Edited by Matt Brighton, 14 February 2019 - 05:05 PM.

#13 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:54 PM

How long are you visiting for? Plenty to do outside London but if you're here for just a week I guess you won't want to be tearing around the country. Whatever you do, hope you have a great time.

#14 Mike L

Mike L

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:22 PM

Take them on the London Eye. The view is fantastic. Take a tour bus ride. Everyone should “mind the gap” once. It’s just a subway but if you have never been it’s cool. Trafalgar Square is something to see. It ends up in movies a lot. Great for those “hey we’ve been there” moments. London is ok but I’m not that into big cities. I like meeting the people out in the country and the scenery is beautiful.

#15 kingpenm3

kingpenm3

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

Thank you thank you thank you for your suggestions!

We will be in London for 1 week, the first week in March. Hoping that we get some decent weather. 

I think I've pretty much filled up the trip with the suggestions here!

how long will you be in the UK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users