Photo
- - - - -

A+ Diff Swap To A Hardy Spicer Type On An Early Automatic Gearbox

Best Answer whistler , 14 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

Yes, you can swap the diffs over to retain the output shafts that suits your needs.

I would suggest however, keeping the Crown Wheel with the gearbox that it came from. This is a fairly easy swap.

The other parts you'll need to retain with the Pots is the the side covers as the bushes and oil seals between these are different sizes.

The Final Drive ratio will suit your 10" wheel OK.

As Moke said. My wife's mini is currently fitted with a diff from an auto as it was in a better condition. Just had to swap the crown wheel and pinion as the auto ratio is unusual, 3.62:1 if I remember.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnpaul

johnpaul

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:06 AM

Im building an automatic engined trike with a 1985 998cc A+ motor this engine runs but is stuck in gear and you can hardly push it about.

Ive got an early 998 automatic engine with hardy spicer driveshafts like a Cooper S has,these bolt on and dont use the rubber joints and u bolts like many early pre 74 Minis.

Can i swap the diffs over and use my pot joint shafts and keep the disk brake setup i have?Or do i have to use the earlier hubs and drum brakes?

Will my gear ratio be too tall and i have to use 10" wheels?

Cheers JohnPaul

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:04 AM

Yes, you can swap the diffs over to retain the output shafts that suits your needs.

I would suggest however, keeping the Crown Wheel with the gearbox that it came from. This is a fairly easy swap.

The other parts you'll need to retain with the Pots is the the side covers as the bushes and oil seals between these are different sizes.

#3 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:05 PM   Best Answer

As Moke said. My wife's mini is currently fitted with a diff from an auto as it was in a better condition. Just had to swap the crown wheel and pinion as the auto ratio is unusual, 3.62:1 if I remember.

#4 johnpaul

johnpaul

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:54 PM

THANKS GUYS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users