6 replies to this topic

#1 Jordy869

Jordy869

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:09 PM

I’m looking to buy a a rolling shell however is there much difference with an automatic shell and a Manual. If so how much work would it take to turn it to a manual ?

Regards

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

depends how much of it is there.

front subframe. pedal box. hole in floor.

#3 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:42 PM

Very easy to convert an automatic shell to manual. You will need:

- Replacement manual front subframe (or the spacers that Minispares sell to fit a manual engine to auto subframe)

- Clutch pedal. You don’t necessarily have to replace the whole pedal box, just remove the spacer and fit clutch pedal in its place.

- Manual gear stick and linkage.

- Clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder etc

- Manual engine/gearbox

#4 wzd345

wzd345

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: Miniresource

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:13 PM

I did it, quite easy if you have all the bits, but remember this: 

The automatic front subframe is slightly wider, hence the adaptor plates instead of replacing the subframe.  If using the adaptor plates you may need to slim them down a little if its tight as you drop the unit in.  Also, use new engine mountings.

The park switch inhibitor needs to be bypassed otherwise the car will not start.  I decided to use it and traced the wires back through the loom, plugged them into a switch under the dashboard,  a cheap isolator.

#5 Miniman1987

Miniman1987

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

I did it, quite easy if you have all the bits, but remember this:

The automatic front subframe is slightly wider, hence the adaptor plates instead of replacing the subframe. If using the adaptor plates you may need to slim them down a little if its tight as you drop the unit in. Also, use new engine mountings.

The park switch inhibitor needs to be bypassed otherwise the car will not start. I decided to use it and traced the wires back through the loom, plugged them into a switch under the dashboard, a cheap isolator.

Does the wider subframe affect anything else? Driveshaft lengths or suspension components?

#6 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

The wider subframe only affects the engine mounts. Otherwise, the geometry is identical.
The bodyshell itself is the same between auto and manual cars. The only giveaway is the four holes that take small self-tapping screws for the gearstick gaiter. On a car that has been/ is auto, these holes are drilled out larger to accept the auto shifter assembly.

#7 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

I'd go with the spacers from MiniSpares, a lot cheaper than replacing the front subframe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users