9 replies to this topic

#1 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

Whilst I was fitting new brake pipes earlier, noticed something strange with the position of the radius arm bolts.

This is on a new, non genuine subframe, with recon arms.

The bolt for the radius arm pin seems to sit much further forward on the passenger side than on the drivers side.

I have attached a picture of each side below.

Is this indicative of a problem? I have measured the centre of the hub to the rear of the sill on each side, and both give the exact same measurement.

8yubnDm.jpg

xNTVLV7.jpg

#2 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

Does seem something a bit awry there - particulalry with the top of the o/s bracket leaning out from the frame at the top -  that will result in alignment issues as the difference seems quite substantial - how was the dry fit between bracket and frame? I think it may be worth stripping down and checking the fit and straightening / fettling....BFH and a file may sort it

I haven't seen to many aftermarket frames being lucky enough to have an o/e one on my car and a nos spare tucked away - BUT I had to fit one (note just the one so experience may in no way be typical) for the first time in years - last time I fitted one (late 90's) the fit and alignment was "ok" with a couple of shims - recent one sourced from a motor factor was atrocious with very poor alignment, and welding (factory ones were never brilliant but recent one had the worst welds I've ever seen)....solution was to weld up properly and fit minispares adjustable brackets and even with  them it took a lot of filing on the brackets to make the bracket holes to the frame line up with the positioning of the captive nuts acceptably... sorry to be a misery on this one but strip down/ survey  / remedy will sort it  - on the brightside it wont cost much and as a very freshly installed frame it'll come out / apart without the usual issues!!

#3 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:46 PM

Does seem something a bit awry there - particulalry with the top of the o/s bracket leaning out from the frame at the top -  that will result in alignment issues as the difference seems quite substantial - how was the dry fit between bracket and frame? I think it may be worth stripping down and checking the fit and straightening / fettling....BFH and a file may sort it

I haven't seen to many aftermarket frames being lucky enough to have an o/e one on my car and a nos spare tucked away - BUT I had to fit one (note just the one so experience may in no way be typical) for the first time in years - last time I fitted one (late 90's) the fit and alignment was "ok" with a couple of shims - recent one sourced from a motor factor was atrocious with very poor alignment, and welding (factory ones were never brilliant but recent one had the worst welds I've ever seen)....solution was to weld up properly and fit minispares adjustable brackets and even with  them it took a lot of filing on the brackets to make the bracket holes to the frame line up with the positioning of the captive nuts acceptably... sorry to be a misery on this one but strip down/ survey  / remedy will sort it  - on the brightside it wont cost much and as a very freshly installed frame it'll come out / apart without the usual issues!!

Seemed ok when fitting. 

So you think its more the O/s that I need to look at? 

#4 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

Really difficult to tell from photo's (I'm talking generally here) but commented on the o/s as bracket seem to be particularly  divergent from the vertical at the top  -  as you've got the wheels on a quick measure of the alignment of the wheels would be worthwhile even if using string to see what toe in /  out is there. Camber which should be zero far easier to get an idea of with some scrap timber and a level - neither of these will be accurate enough for a final setting  but will show up if there's an issue....it's worth getting spot on to stop the car from crabbing...

#5 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

Just checked the camber using wood, and a dodgy app on my phone (just to get a rough idea)

N\s wheel had a camber of -0.4%, O\s wheel had camber of 0%

Main difference from what I can see is that on the N\s the bracket is up against the inside edge of the trunnion, whereas on the O\s the bracket is catching against the rear of the trunnion.

#6 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

You need to check the toe angles too, my non genuine rear subframe had several degrees of toe out, different on both sides as well. Can be difficult to correct it.

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

I think it is probably OK,

In the top pic, the stiffening plate is welded in the center of the bracket.

In the lower pic, the plate is welded off center.

#8 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

I think it is probably OK,

In the top pic, the stiffening plate is welded in the center of the bracket.

In the lower pic, the plate is welded off center.

Think that is a trick of the camera

#9 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:48 PM

I've come to the conclusion that the N\s bracket is at fault.

It seems to be bent so that you can get the bottom bolts lined up, but then that leaves too much of a gap between the top of the bracket and the subframe. Then when tightening those bolts, its having to pull the whole arm in too far.

I've tried bending it but didn't have much joy. Think I'll just order a replacement bracket 

#10 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:32 PM

Tried it with a replacement bracket, and its still the same.

I've checked the camber properly on both sides and they are both identical (slight positive camber), also checked the toe in and that is the same on both sides, and measured the distance from the centre of the hub to the car body and its identical both sides, so I'm not sure what else I can check.

For now I will leave it, and once the car is back on the road I will take it to get the geometry checked as I don't think there is anything else I can do now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users