#1 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:24 PM

Hi All,

Well I guess I better start a project thread for our 92' Mini Mayfair or 'Alan' as he's more commonly known in our house.

After recently getting a garage for him I thought now was the time to tackle a few tasks ready for its MOT next month. That quickly lead into deciding last week whether it was time to take it off the road and restore it after finding a fair bit more rust that I thought it had. We've owned it since June last year and was bought as a driving resto project.

The plan now is to strip it back close to a bare shell and fix any rust the car has. The engine will be tided up while out of the car and we may even up the power too. The wiring is shocking so i plan to rewire the whole car when we put it back together. Our aim for this car long term has always been a good solid runner we can take on road trips and holidays. My goal is to have a Mini that drives like its brand new and styling from a few different era's that suit our tastes.

I'm a complete Rank amateur mechanic and will be learning as i go so please excuse any stupid questions because i'm sure they'll be a lot! I plan to do as much myself as possible even down to the welding. I don't expect it to be a show winner when done but will be all my own hard work. This is the first car I've ever restored.

Right well enough waffle and onto some actual progress and more importantly pictures  (because that's all we love to look at).

Here's a picture of him not long after buying him last year.

GIB6zX2.jpg

So today I began to strip the car ready to take the engine out in a few weeks time. As it was sunny I rolled him out into the sun while I stripped the rest of the dashboard out. 

gFl0D9b.jpg

Although i'm not going to use the existing wiring loom i'm still labeling all the plugs and connections as I go so I can refer back if I get stuck. I stripped as much of the dash out as I could. i stupidly haven't taken my catch pan to the garage yet so have left the heater in. I guess that's tomorrows job.

un3LWMJ.jpg

Fun Fact! although the mini is light. Pushing it into a garage up a small ramp with a semi flat tire on my own nearly bloody killed me! Hey ho this is now where he will probably sit for the foreseeable future. I don't have power at the garage atm and due to space i think this will be the best way to store it. 

38colhZ.jpg

The Mrs popped down with my little helper for a few hours and while we took the windscreen out she stayed as warm as possible. 

6XJyW2E.jpg

After getting the windscreen out we could see what we was dealing with underneath. Looks bad but I was expecting worse if i'm honest. The Bodged filler job was to hide the worst of it so that will be stripped back to see how bad it is.

this is the condition of the window.

uMJH9SE.jpg

WLSl79V.jpg

rBiTNPW.jpg

MPkdpQO.jpg

Next on the list was to see the condition of the floor. Overall again seems okay but yet to strip the soundproofing off the floor. found a small hole on the drivers side above the floor where the A Panel is but inside the car (don't know the name sorry).

53C6LeO.jpg

2TkUeBR.jpg

R7wpPym.jpg

The other side has had some patches in the past. Not sure its the tidiest but until i start welding i'll withhold judgement lol. Doesn't look that bad to me and seems solid.

hlU5UNo.jpg

While stripping the seat belts out i found this mess at the bottom of the driverside companion box. The rear wheel arch is also hiding loads of rust. I suspect things will not be great underneath lol. Theres also a patch you can see which has been done at some point.

YSlrW5i.jpg

tnOBv0t.jpg

Lastly I stripped part of the rear ready to pull the tank. Boot floor looks like its going to need replacing. the Subframe looks like it was in really good condition. Found more terrible wiring and joints in the boot. Was even one under the fuel tank.

5VHj9G5.jpg

This is how i left him today! 

T2p3S1L.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

Dan

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

Nice project, it's going to keep you busy for a while.

#3 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

Nice project, it's going to keep you busy for a while.

Cheers. It certainly will ?

#4 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:51 AM

ALAN!!

Nice little project, what a your plans for it, back to how it looks now or a few changes?

#5 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:43 AM

ALAN!!

Nice little project, what a your plans for it, back to how it looks now or a few changes?

We’re not quite sure where the name came from ?

Plans as it stands is to put the original 998 engine back in but maybe with a new head etc. New exhaust system is a must. Torn between either a 7.5’ brake conversion or some big Kad brakes and vented disks. All new suspension but will probably keep that stock.

I’d love to run some custom three peice split wheels in either 12 or 10 inch depending on brakes.

Colour will stay the same but the roof will be going a dark grey. We’ll match the wheels, dash and a few other bits to this colour. As the seats are in really good condition I may retrim them. I've always fancied a nice tan interior so maybe go with that.

No doubt it will all change as i go though lol

#6 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:53 AM

The interor will be influenced by my dream car. Singer 911

lVjlNDL.jpg

#7 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

ALAN!!

We’re not quite sure where the name came from

Plans as it stands is to put the original 998 engine back in but maybe with a new head etc. New exhaust system is a must. Torn between either a 7.5’ brake conversion or some big Kad brakes and vented disks. All new suspension but will probably keep that stock.

I’d love to run some custom three peice split wheels in either 12 or 10 inch depending on brakes.

Colour will stay the same but the roof will be going a dark grey. We’ll match the wheels, dash and a few other bits to this colour. As the seats are in really good condition I may retrim them. I've always fancied a nice tan interior so maybe go with that.

No doubt it will all change as i go though lol

I love the sound of that nice clean looking mini at the end with some retro personal touches, looking forward to seeing how this comes along

Keep the pics coming

#8 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

Update**

After spending all day yesterday continuing the strip down I though it would be good to update this to see where I am. 

My first task was to drain the coolant so i could remove the heater box from the cabin. Some spanner (me) put the jubilee clip the wrong way around on the bottom coolant hose when refitting last time but as the whole lot was coming out I just took the top off and took the rad out with the coolant still in the tank. 

MzZOCGJ.jpg

I then finally got to rip out this horrible heater pipe/cable tie work of art. I'm keeping this as wall art for the shed lol  :gimme:

92DX95q.jpg

wDaT3XR.jpg

I then stripped the heater out and drained the oil.

Na7iZH8.jpg

cI99OdW.jpg

I then started to go though removing the engine as per the Haynes Manual. I'm working through it step by step. Double checking as i go as its the first time i've ever taken an engine out  :shy:

I managed to get the carb off including the choke and accelerator cables. Removed the Starter motor, Alternator & Ignition coil. Made this decision to restore this car at the right time as the belt was about to let go. Starting to realize this car was on its last legs.

gY2M8D4.jpg

Next on the list, because it was driving me nuts, was to remove all the wiring. The loom is now full disconnected right back to the bulkhead. All the plugs/connectors are labelled.

5PDorBl.jpg

When removing the carb i dropped it  :ohno: don't think i damaged it but will be re building anyway so will find out. I then realized i had nothing to transport it home in so came up with this contraction the wrapped it up in a spill rag. Its now safely stored away inside a sealed box in the shed. 

SxdNVnG.jpg

Found my first hole  ;D  The rear wheel arch was hiding this mess. Add a Wheel well and a rear quarter to my list of panels needed  :gimme: It maybe salvageable but we'll wait and see.

xpmB0Ni.jpg

sAN1Tez.jpg

I stood and scratched my head for a little bit after finding this as the penny dropped actually how much work is involved! Ow well no time to stop! next on the list is taking the exhaust and manifold off. I left my hacksaw at home so will have to cut this off next weekend. its not being reused so will cut at the bottom of the manifold.

ZJ39qsf.jpg

5axvg6a.jpg

while crawling underneath i found a big oil leak which has caked the gear level housing and the whole of the underneath. Its defiantly oil so god knows where this is coming from. looks like its been running from the engine bay as i drove it. On the plus side my floor is nice and protected from the elements  :D

This is how i left him! 

cE4ER40.jpg

Next jobs are:

Remove the exhaust, Fuel tank and the start prepping the rest ready to pull the engine. 

I'm not quite sure where to store the fuel tank yet. i'll drain it once out but don't really want to leave it lying around. Don't want it anywhere near when i start grinding and welding. Would a big storage bin be sufficient to store safely? 

Cheers

Dan

#9 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:56 PM

I recommend photographing everything you take off together with the nuts and bolts etc that held it on - otherwise if you replate the fixings you end up with a big box of them and it takes ages to sort out which went where.

#10 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

I recommend photographing everything you take off together with the nuts and bolts etc that held it on - otherwise if you replate the fixings you end up with a big box of them and it takes ages to sort out which went where.

That's good advise i'll remember to do that more! i keep forgetting to label stuff as i go! I've been bagging every set of bolts, nuts or any small brackets individually e.g starter motor just the two bolts holding it on separate in a seal-able bag. Mrs hasn't noticed that her freezer bags have gone yet  :gimme:  wherever possible i screw the bolt/nut back onto where it came from. I'm also taking pictures of which way things are in the engine bay to refer back. I plan on replacing as much as possible with stainless steel when rebuilding however i will need to know the size etc.

In other news a friend has a engine crane i can borrow so just saved myself a few hundred quid which is nice!  :D

#11 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

** UPDATE **

Managed to get a day on the mini today. I couldn’t get the engine crane this week so did a few bits ready to pull it next weekend. Managed to get all the horrible jobs done ready to go.

First thing today was removing the dizzy and engine steady’s so I could move rock the engine just enough to pull the exhaust through.

I then hacked the exhaust off the manifold which is in good condition but the rest is fit for the bin. I also managed to disconnect the fuel pump lines and brake servo.

I also removed the gearlever housing! (How much of a pain is that pin to knock out ?) Hes now back on the ground ready for next week.

Next job now is to get it onto the crane and undo the engine mounts and lift it out.

By the end of next week I’d love to have the engine out and everything thats left stripped so i can drop the subframes ready to start bodywork the week after. Due to the size of my garage a Jig is definitely going to be needed so i think I’ll pick one up at the end of the month.

We’re already discussing a colour change now from our original plans of keeping it stock but ive got a lot of bodywork before we need to worry about that ?

Dan

Attached Files

#12 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

Update**

Little bit more progress but a big part done.

So this weekend i managed to get the engine out. Took me all day to move it from the garage to my workshop and forgot to take pictures ? went better than i thought as it was my first time! Surprised how easy it actually was!

Cars ready for the final parts to be taken off next week then onto bodywork ??

Attached Files

#13 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:00 AM

Coming along nicely. One thing I'd recommend is getting some shelving up in the garage if possible. Label everything up as it comes off (bolts etc) and put it into separate boxes, when it comes to rebuilding her you know exactly where to go then.

#14 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

Coming along nicely. One thing I'd recommend is getting some shelving up in the garage if possible. Label everything up as it comes off (bolts etc) and put it into separate boxes, when it comes to rebuilding her you know exactly where to go then.

cheers we're making good progress!

trying to avoid shelving in the garage as its quite tight. I'm taking all the stuff home back to my shed atm and storing there. I also want it here so i can work on the parts in the week and the shell at weekends. Its all labelled and sealed in plastic crates. I'm using resealable bags for the bolts and labeling each. sorry didn't post any pictures of this as its not very exciting but i'm mega OCD lol.  :proud:

#15 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

No real Update recently! Actually can't believe how long its been since i visited the garage! Holidays, and life have gotten in the way the last few months. Had to stick a load of stuff into the garage so i can't even get to the mini atm but plan to have a good clear out next weekend and finish the strip down. 

haven't got much left to do before bodywork but given how busy I've been the last few months i think i may pay to get all the bodywork done professionally through this winter. Will take a load of pictures once stripped fully and see if i can get some estimates. 

Alan will live again soon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users