Photo
- - - - -

Finding The Right Live...

electrical

Best Answer cp2708 , 20 February 2019 - 08:10 AM

Hi Mike,

The interior light is live all the time, and the ground is switched via the door pins or the permanent ground puts the light on with the switch on the fitting. There are 3 cables, one permanent 12V, one switched ground (at the door pin) and one permanent ground. Don't know the cable colours. 

It runs up the N/S A pillar from behind the dashboard towards the C pillar and down to the tail lights etc. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeMPi1999

MikeMPi1999

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:00 PM

Hello all.

Just hoping for some help, this weekend I plan on installing some additional interior lights. I'm hoping to branch off of the interior light live so that my additional lights come on when the doors are opened.

So to save me much time and scrambling about sticking pins into wires to find the one that goes live when the door is opened does anyone know where the interior light cable runs?

I'm guessing the cable runs down the side of the windscreen behind some trim? I really have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams to see if there's a colour I should be looking out for.

Thanks!

Mike

1999 MPi sports pack.

#2 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:10 AM   Best Answer

Hi Mike,

The interior light is live all the time, and the ground is switched via the door pins or the permanent ground puts the light on with the switch on the fitting. There are 3 cables, one permanent 12V, one switched ground (at the door pin) and one permanent ground. Don't know the cable colours. 

It runs up the N/S A pillar from behind the dashboard towards the C pillar and down to the tail lights etc. 

#3 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:36 AM

Plain purple is the feed wire, purple with a white trace are the earths. Should be no problem to piggyback the feed and door switch connections on the standard interior lamp to cross feed your new ones, so that they work in the same manner. Just don't go mad on the bulb wattages!

#4 MikeMPi1999

MikeMPi1999

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

Thanks! Just what I needed to know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users