#1 The Moog

The Moog

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a set of lovely 7" spots, unfortunately one of the glasses broke in the post. I have a second donor light, but i didnt realise the mirrored reflector and glass unit were held to gether by a pressed metal seal.

I have managed to remove the donor lens but im not sure how to get it back in the reflector.

Any ideas?

Cut it off and use a rubber seal?? where do I get a 7" seal?

Thanks for any thoughts.

#2 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

Hi

If these are the older Lucas spot lamps from the late 60,s early 70,s then parts aren't available new I looked and searched for parts on mine when the sealed beam units gave up the ghost

I have 2 sets of Lucas fitted. The lenses are the sealed beam, so I was miffed when the sealed units gave up. I managed very carefully however to re-use the units whole and fit a halogen bulb. Not a very easy job

The lamp units are different in sizes - depths so it is a bit of a lottery getting other units to fit existing housings. If the reflector isn't fitting in the donor then there's a reason.

I did look at all the vintage - classic and modern bulb - lens outlets and was finally told - sorry no can do and I wouldn't find anything

You have to do the best possible job with what you have

#3 The Moog

The Moog

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:59 PM

Hi Richmond Classics,

thanks for the reply, I think you may have advised me on these lamps via Ebay a while ago when you had a lovely Mini for sale.

I have just found these replacement lenses which look interesting, they do the Fog lights to.

https://www.s-v-c.co...l731-spot-lens/

db_file_img_584_200x200.jpg

cheers

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

You can buy a new lens unit from Stafford Vehicle Components. Price is £65-40 each.

I bought a pair of 5" Lucas fog light lenses and was surprised at the good quality.

#5 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:38 AM

Hi

Thanks for the info, my problem was a good while ago and some time has passed since.

I certainly did not know of SVC  thanks again for this

#6 jomaoliveira79

jomaoliveira79

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:33 AM

A couple of years ago bought a pair of fog FT700 here https://www.complete...mp-unit-driving
Best Regards

#7 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

Just looking back on my spots and fogs problems was about 4 years ago

Good to see that companies are fabricating replacement lamp units - but just sometimes out of the reach with younger classic car owners on a budget.

I do try and help out if possible with young classic car drivers as I remember being hit with a £120 garage bill at 18 years of age and I was only earning £39 a week !!

That's how I started the classics line.-  I do realise that people do need to earn a living, - but there is earning a living and profiting widely from misfortune

I really suppose when I originally replied I should have stated how long ago this was to avoid a negative response so I am sorry for that, but was genuine when I replied to the failing of finding the replacement parts,     parts availability has become very rapid in replacement over the years.

My first 1960 Morris Mini rebuild was just what you could find in any available spares in 1988, now every thing is available copied

Time !!

Edited by richmondclassicsnorthwales, 22 February 2019 - 09:00 PM.

#8 The Moog

The Moog

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:26 PM

Hi Richmonclassics,

I certainly didn’t think, nor take, your reply as being negative. It was honest upon your experience of trying to replace vintage part.

I am fortunate to be in a position to “play” with my toy Cooper, but part of it is the finding, the hunting and cobbling together. Hence I’m going to try to dremel and cut the sealing metal strip off, place a rubber seal in - likely fail and then buy new ones.....

Regards

#9 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:35 PM

The parts market has certainly improved vastly, sometimes for the good - some bad and there are some terrible copy parts - I started back in 85 and the market was scarce, you really had to take what was about and make the best of it - really

I do not reply on the forum as much now and for lots of reasons, time is passing me by,  soon there will be a 3D printer version of a Mini !!!!

Always best to play with what is possible, then resort to "modern day" parts for spares. Thank you for the positive side , much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users