27 replies to this topic

#1 Turch09

Turch09

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:46 PM

Hi there I have a 1999 rover mini imported from Japan it's running like crap! If starts and idles but as soon as I press the gas peddle it tries to stall or stalls! I cAnt drive it unless I unplug the TPS sensor! I took it to a shop and the replaced the crank sensor then told me to get a TPS sensor that works! So I got one from someone on this forum installed it my self but still does it! Is there a right and wrong way to install it ? I checked all the vacuum lines but they seem fine. It also rev hunts I spent 500 having it at the shop and I don't want to drop a bunch more on it my last option is to buy a whole new throttle body or sell it( which I don't really want to)

Thx for the help

#2 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:09 PM

its an mpi then is it!!!!

#3 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

does it do it hot and cold

#4 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:11 PM

Hi there I have a 1999 rover mini imported from Japan it's running like crap! If starts and idles but as soon as I press the gas peddle it tries to stall or stalls! I cAnt drive it unless I unplug the TPS sensor! I took it to a shop and the replaced the crank sensor then told me to get a TPS sensor that works! So I got one from someone on this forum installed it my self but still does it! Is there a right and wrong way to install it ? I checked all the vacuum lines but they seem fine. It also rev hunts I spent 500 having it at the shop and I don't want to drop a bunch more on it my last option is to buy a whole new throttle body or sell it( which I don't really want to)

Thx for the help

oh i have a mpi throttle body with sensors, from a working car

#5 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:12 PM

https://www.ebay.co....cbAOL:rk:2:pf:0

#6 Turch09

Turch09

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

Thx for the help

It does it during both! It's got a SPI throttle body but a MPI engine I believe it's one of the Japanese Frankenstein engine things

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:29 PM

Same engine as mine, basically an MPi engine with SPi throttle body. I previously had a slightly different issue, mine would run fine but wouldn't idle when warm, continually stalled.
I'd convinced myself it was a faulty temp sensor but it's a complete PITA to replace so before doing so I renewed the 4 vacuum hoses and the fuel trap. Runs perfectly now! Totally amazed at how much difference the vacuum hoses make so I'd suggest renewing them as a matter of course, they're not so expensive.

#8 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:29 PM

Thx for the help

It does it during both! It's got a SPI throttle body but a MPI engine I believe it's one of the Japanese Frankenstein engine things

nice  I know i seen these engines before   

i had an spi once that did what u said.  I never fixed it.

try checking the wiring sometimes they break up.

#9 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:39 AM

As said above, if you’ve never replaced the vac pipes and fuel trap then even if your current ones look fine I would replace them. They are a service part, like plugs, points and oil etc.

Once you’ve done that, if it still runs like crap then have a careful look at all the wires to the various sensors, if any are broken then that won’t be helping.

If nothing obvious then it’s time to get it plugged into a Reader. You might be able to borrow one, see pinned thread. You need that to tell you if any of the sensors are shot.

#10 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:44 AM

...and replacing the entire throttle body, which would be 2nd hand anyway, isn’t likely to fix it. It’ll be a sensor, stepper motor or old wiring causing this.

#11 Turch09

Turch09

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

So I plugged the TPS sensor back in and tried reving it using the throttle body! If I press it slowly it will rev but that's it if I try and do it normal it bogs out! Is the throttle cable supposed to have alot of slack?

#12 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:15 PM

Did the garage actually have diagnostic gear that would talk to the MEMS ECU? Only very particular ones will. If they didn't, they were just guessing.

I'm not well versed on SPis, but:
Vac Pipes.
Air leaks. (perhaps manifold gasket)

The throttle cable shouldn't be very slack. The Haynes gives you a guide on how to give it a base setting.

#13 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

Read this:http://www.theminifo...otor-operation/

not working stepper would cause symptoms like yours!

#14 Davemac80

Davemac80

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:33 AM

When you change the vac hoses also check your engine earths are good. Mine was doing the same, I also had to change the crank sensor. Mine is a 96 Japanese Kensington.

#15 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

The throttle cable should appear to be slack and unless you have the right diagnostic reader do not adjust it. As said above condition of the vacumn hoses is critical on SPi.  A reader would also tell you if the engine is leaning out when you accelerate, clogged fuel filter or injector. Need to plug it in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users