21 replies to this topic

#1 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:12 AM

On here for a while, had loads of good advice from members much appreciated ! Anyway here's our Mini.

As I'm quite environment focused I'm using her as a kind of mascot for a slow down and still have fun blog I've just started. Think Minis are just as relevant in these modern times. Brief history below

Five years ago bought as a standard city in azure blue from a fifteen year old selling it to fund a new tropical fish tank ?!?

Bodywork has always been pretty good overall, we added goodies as we went along. Engine has been the main source of frustration, on its third motor now. Original 998 had weird rattle that no one could diagnose so that came out and replaced with a pre unleaded mg metro unit that started smoking so whipped back out and rebored to 1293. Pretty lively after that but suffered vibration at certain revs.
Went pear shaped when I ran it low on oil and developed big end knock.

Work was busy and garage wasn't warm so decided against going through another stripdown and rebuild.

Got (fairly) lucky when I found a tidy little 850 for £80 on eBay, all painted up with alloy rocker cover etc. Seller turned out to be a decent guy too.

Threw caution to the wind and put it straight in. I changed head gasket, payen copper item, added electronic ignition and away to go - I'm in love!

Brilliant fun having to really drive it to try and keep up with modern traffic. Engine is so smooth and a delight to hear with a stage one kit fitted. Takes me back to my first car (custom black 998 Mini) absolutely loving it!

Does have some crankcase pressure and loses a bit of water but does 70 on the flat with some in reserve ;)

All in all for an £80 engine I'm chuffed to bits.

Future plans are hilos and a moderate suspension drop, bit more tidying up and that's about it.

Happy days :)

Attached Files

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:38 PM

Driving an underpowered car is strangely satisfying.  Lots of torque makes for an easy car to drive, it takes no effort to maintain speed but it can either get boring or can be risky for the driving licence.  A vehicle with little torque takes more effort to drive but if you like that sort of thing as you and I seem to then it can be a lot of fun, and quite economical too.

#3 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:10 PM

Yes hoping to get decent mpg we shall see!

#4 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

An 850 can be great fun to drive. Just struggles with hills! 

#5 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:06 PM

you drive an 850 differently as it takes so long to get going you try and be more smooth, slow down a big for light's and traffic ahead so you can keep going. with a bigger engine it's much easier to stop, get backup to speed etc. so people don't read the road ahead as much if at all and the driving standards have slipped as a result.

#6 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:05 AM

you drive an 850 differently as it takes so long to get going you try and be more smooth, slow down a big for light's and traffic ahead so you can keep going. with a bigger engine it's much easier to stop, get backup to speed etc. so people don't read the road ahead as much if at all and the driving standards have slipped as a result.

Couldn't agree more. I think the driving standard has suffered due to the fact that most young people learn to drive in relatively powerful and 'easy to drive' cars. Reading the road, planning ahead and driving smoothly seem to be on the way out when it's easier to just accelerate and brake all the time. Drives me mad on the motorways. 

Man, I'm getting to be an old moaning git  :lol:

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:08 PM

There's an art to driving which 95% of drivers aren't interested in.

#8 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

And I think when your driving an old car like a Mini, you realise how bad everyone else's driving is!

#9 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

Absolutely agree. Regardless of what I'm driving I keep it smooth and flowing. Makes for safe, relaxed and economical progress.

So tired of drivers constantly too close behind me even when I'm at the legal limit, in fog running at a safe speed or in the wet.

Idiots. Everywhere.

#10 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:44 AM

I remember the day I passed my test my dad said to me "Once you accept that the bulk of other drivers are either recklessly distracted and/or dangerously incompetent, you will rarely be disappointed".

Has proven to be fairly accurate in my experience. It's just that there are more and more of them every year. Mainly all in leased black Audis. I'm just getting catty now  :P

#11 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:17 AM

I remember the day I passed my test my dad said to me "Once you accept that the bulk of other drivers are either recklessly distracted and/or dangerously incompetent, you will rarely be disappointed".

Has proven to be fairly accurate in my experience. It's just that there are more and more of them every year. Mainly all in leased black Audis. I'm just getting catty now  :P

Yes TT coupes in particular, don't even get me started on late model BMWs ! Grrr

#12 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:25 AM

Anyway now we've got that out of our system I've got a few fun plans in the pipeline - apart from the Mini being an eco warrior we have a candy floss machine I'll be plugging in to the car via an inverter / leisure battery, then I'll be taking her along to local car shows and family shows to spin a bit of the blue (blue floss is our most popular colour and we have a little in joke about Breaking Bad - highly addictive!)

Will post up photos when I try it out in April

#13 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:07 PM

Ha ha, yes, talk about thread hijack - apologies. Car is great and I love your philosophy with it. Have fun with the crystal meth candifloss and be sure to post up some more pictures!

#14 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:49 PM

Will do cheers !

#15 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

Mini powered candy floss is go! Kids loved it ?

Edited by ads7, 09 April 2019 - 01:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users