Photo

Dvla Launches New Advertising Campaign For Car Tax Evaders..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

How many £millions per year getting rid of tax discs was supposed to save?  :lol:

8sljhCGl.jpg

DVLA has launched a new advertising campaign in 11 areas around the country targeting drivers who haven’t taxed their vehicles.
The advertising campaign focuses on the consequences of not taxing your vehicle – from financial penalties to court action to clamping and finally the loss of a car.
A giant clamp at the centre of the campaign image reflects the fact that DVLA take enforcement action against untaxed vehicles on streets across the country and it will happen to you if you don’t tax your vehicle on time.
DVLA Head of Enforcement Tim Burton said:
This campaign has a clear message for anyone who flouts the law in this way – tax it or lose it.
https://www.gov.uk/g...ade-vehicle-tax

UK road tax evasion has trebled since paper disc was ditched
Government figures in 2017 show that 1.8% of cars on the road are untaxed, amounting to £107 million lost revenue for the year.
The number of untaxed vehicles on Britain’s roads has trebled since the paper tax disc was ditched in October 2014.
Department for Transport (DfT) figures show that 1.8% of vehicles are being driven without road tax.
That's up from 1.4% in 2015, but more significantly, three times the level in 2013, which was the last full year to require the use of paper tax discs displayed on the inside of a car’s windscreen.
The removal of the paper tax disc, which was introduced in 1921, has been labelled as a key cause for the increase in untaxed cars.
Although the DVLA sends out letters and emails to motorists informing them of an approaching payment due date for their vehicle, the DfT said in its report that scrapping paper discs has removed an effective ‘visual reminder’.
RAC public affairs manager Nicholas Lyes commented on the report’s findings, saying: “The principle of abolishing the tax disc to introduce greater efficiencies has, so far, evidently failed."
https://www.autocar....isc-was-ditched

#2 Archived3

Archived3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Archived
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:51 PM

I’d like to see them come back

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:12 PM

It'll need a total rethink in the not too distant anyway. BMW & Mercedes signalling interest in the Uberesque model and the challenge of fuel duty on leccy cars.

I can see a return to turnpikes,  via GPS & 5G, you'll pay by the mile, charges variable according to where and when.

#4 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

People have long been against the pay per mile model, there's very longstanding grievances about the cost of motoring and the quality of the general road network.

People already feel ripped off with the current setup.

Besides a GPS/phone signal blocker is only a few quid and very easily available online.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:49 PM

why do they continue to use the extinct term Tax.

to be honest the whole UK system is archaic.

I have not displayed any form a receipt of payment for about 10 years. all paid by direct debit. can be stopped and started on any day of the month without penalty. I could actually only pay for a car for sat-sun each week if I wanted. I could even pay of one car Monday to Friday and a second car sat to sun if I wanted.

#6 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:09 PM

I’d like to see them come back

As would I.

#7 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

I have not displayed any form a receipt of payment for about 10 years. all paid by direct debit. can be stopped and started on any day of the month without penalty. I could actually only pay for a car for sat-sun each week if I wanted. I could even pay of one car Monday to Friday and a second car sat to sun if I wanted.

What are you talking about there? VED is still only paid for in whole months isn't it?

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:40 AM

What are you talking about there? VED is still only paid for in whole months isn't it?

nope not only talking about how archaic the UK system is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users