#1 TheFlyingSprout

TheFlyingSprout

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:21 AM

Hi All,

I hope that you might be able to give me advice on EU cover.

I am really confused as to what I am able to do and whats possible. The more I speak to Adrian Flux the more annoyed I get!

I am hoping to MOT my Mini again for the first time in a few years in the Spring, so happy its almost on the road again and I have already got a few events lined up this year to take the car to.

I moved to France with my Girlfriend at the end of last year. Shes french and I am hoping to be able to get a job in Design engineering here as I had in the UK before. The situation here for anyone who is British (BREXIT) and anyone who speaks very little French is proving much more difficult than I had hoped so it is still unclear as to whether we will end up returning to the UK.

My Mini is garaged in England at my UK address and I have been looking at insurance quotes ready for when I can drive it again.

Ideally what I would like to be able to do is:

- Keep the car UK registered and on its original UK plates

- Drive it in France for leisure use only during the summer months. (we would like to drive it on holiday through the alps and down into Italy)

-Keep the car insured in England for the remainder of the year and obviously MOTd and Taxed in the UK

Is there any way I can do this?

I want to be able to drive and enjoy my car but also be able to bring it to Europe for the nicer summer months and not have to go through the hassle of re registering it in France. Its true what they say about French beaurocracy eing a nightmare...

I especially dont want to go through all that while our job situation here is still uncertain.

The quotes I have from Flux do state european cover for over 6 months so I guess it is possible but wanted to check

Does anyone have any experience or advice about this?

Thank you!

#2 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

I have family who live in France. They've purchased a french car but my dad has kept his original car UK registered, taxed etc as he returns to the UK regularly for work and personal trips. The only hurdle he had was to find an insurance policy which covers you for more than 90 days of EU travel. Can't remember who he is with but I can find out if need be.

One benefit of this is that when he occasionally gets flashed by a French speed camera, he has yet to have any fines issued. 

#3 TheFlyingSprout

TheFlyingSprout

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:48 AM

Hi Rich, it would be great to know who he is with.

I assume with his policy he has a UK adress?

I did read that it is possible as long as you still have an address in the UK.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

currently the 90 day or whatever is actually only relating to the full cover that your insurance provides. you are still covered by the minimum required by law for the rest of the time. but this will go out of the window in 28 days. I would say there is just about zero chance of you being able to do what you want after the 29th. but for that info all you can do is wait and see.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

don't forget to change your driving license before the 28th or pay to retake the test.

#6 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

Yes registering a car here in France can be a pain, it depends who you have infront of you behind the counter, some are good, some are pathetically useless !

I would wait until Brexit is over and done with, because that could change everything.

When I first came here in 1991, I had an MG Metro Turbo that was on UK plates and was insured with norwich union for a whole year in France, green card and all that, so it was possible, even back then, I don't know about now, maybe you should talk to an insurance broker ?

#7 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:19 PM

I'd have a chat with a few UK classics insurers over the weekend and explain your requirements. 90 days continental driving cover does seem to be the threshold, can't recall whether this is limited to a certain number of days / trip. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users