#1 NathR

NathR

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

Hi all, first post on here.

I have a 1984 Mini which was fully 'bare shell' restored in 1997 with the addition of an MG Metro 1275, everything was fully reconditioned to basically a new car. I used it for 3-4 years and covered 15.5k miles but then sadly it's been stored and not really seen the light of day since, it hasn't been started for 10+ years.

I've been trying to get it running as I need to re-home it (or possibly sell) but am having troubles, probably not a surprise! I've fitted a new battery and put fresh fuel/additive in. It turns over ok on the starter, I'm getting a spark on all plugs but not getting any fuel through.

Nothing comes out of the hose from the pump once disconnected whilst turning the engine over on the starter, also with my thumb placed over the end I'm not feeling any pressure building up - would you expect to? I've disconnected the pipe on the tank side of the pump and managed to blow through to the tank and can hear bubbles (with the cap off). The extension hose I was using was pretty loose so was a job to get a seal but it took a lot of effort to blow through to the tank, would you expect this or is it possible I've got a blockage? I also expected fuel to trickle out of this pipe once disconnected with the aid of gravity but it's completely dry - perhaps the tank level isn't high enough to do so I would you expect to see this?

Does anyone have any tips to try? Or does it sound like I've got a blockage or potentially a knackered pump?

Many thanks in advance.  :proud:

#2 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

Disconnect fuel line from fuel pump and tank and blow it through with an airline if you have a compressor - if not a footpump will do, it's still possible you have a lot of sediment in the tank so I'd temporarily install a disposable filter between fuel pump and carb, 

If no joy put input line from fuel pump into a jar full of fuel disconnect input to carb and crank the engine over - that'll establish whether pump (assuming the mechanical original is working) .... If fuel line is clear and pump functional then whip the carb off - after so long it could have gone dry and gummed up - best case is you've still got an hs type - easy to clean out in situ . The HIF type needs removing unfortunately......

#3 NathR

NathR

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

Many thanks for the reply, really helped me yesterday.

I managed to get a jar with some fuel down to the pump (tight!) and turn the engine over - nothing. Also pumped some air down to the tank from the engine bay using a 12v tyre compressor, has definitely helped as afterwards a steady stream of fuel was coming through on its own. I've bunged the pipe for now and removed the pump. It doesn't seem to do anything when operated by hand, not sure if you could tell this way but seems like this is the problem. I've stripped the pump and can't see anything a miss but I guess it wouldn't be obvious?

Can anyone point me in the right direction where to go from here, refurb kit or new pump?

The pump in question...

46367646795_c793285627_b.jpgUntitled by Nath Relph, on Flickr

#4 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:36 PM

Think the culprit is a dud pump.. even moving by hand you should feel a bit of a suck with your thumb over the inlet - . just get a new one - they're unfortunately fairly pricey these days a motor factor cheapie your best option given that you want to move the car on .....

Having said that  - look like the one you have can be taken apart - nothing ventured......

So it's clear there's crud in the tank / lines - now all in the tank - I go back to disposable filters.... cost peanuts and may just get you out of jail - fit one by the tank temporarily (it holds a "ready use" reserve of fuel - whilst catching crud - if you're lucky 2 or 3 of those will capture the nasties) - One fuel flowing to & out of the pump - reconnect to carb and see what happens .... 

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:18 AM

I bet the diaphram is perished and the valves in the pump, after all those years its best to start at the tank and clean it out, blow through the fuel line and replace the fuel rubber hoses, fit a new pump and strip and clean out the carb, once done I'd also run a filter in the fuel line, remembering to check the tank breather is clear

#6 g-dog

g-dog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Local Club: mini invaders

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:26 AM

Also remove oil cap and smell for fuel inside rocker cover. Check dipstick too. If diafram is gone, petrol could have been pumped into crankcase and now mixed with engine oil

#7 NathR

NathR

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the help so far.  :proud:

I got a new pump form Minispares (£20) and fitted it today, fuel was 'naturally' flowing from the tank whilst I was plumbing it in but I'm still not getting any fuel through to the carb side of the pump when turning over. I can't smell fuel in the rocker cover so that's at least one positive, it will get an oil change once sorted anyhow.

I've obviously got a blockage somewhere.

I need to get the car moved home as it is really so I can get it up in the air and drain the fuel then clean out the lines and tank.

Any tips/methods to clean out the tank etc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users