#166 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:23 PM

1) The bigger the pulley the slower the fan and water pump spin. For a high revving engine the bigger one is good as it slows down the coolant and gives it time to cool
2) If you have a heater you want at least an 82C. This is easy to change later if you pick the wrong one
3) I’d get a new radiator
4) you’d need to start with a 1275 distributor curve, but you might need a custom advance curve from a guru like ACDodd
5) do you mean the starter solenoid? If so it should be OK

#167 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:52 PM

1. As above.

2. I'm using an 82C in mine, and have a couple of holes drilled in it.

3. New Rad!

4.What have you got currently? I had my lucas 65D electronic ignition one, recurved by AC Dodd, Highly recommended.

5. Depends on the starter motor and flywheel, theres 2 types of starter motors which have different teeth .

#168 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 06 May 2020 - 07:59 AM

Thanks Timmy and Alex for your advice!
I’ll double check my distributor and report back what I’ve got already. Definitely will speak to AC Dodd if I’ve got something suitable.
Yes I meant the starter solenoid (I’m bad with electrics!) I’ll be going for pre-engaged starter as that’s what ring gear is on my new flywheel.

So rad choice is next: having looked about fletcher seem very reasonable for an alloy so probably go for one of those.

#169 REVVIT

REVVIT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:52 AM

Thanks Timmy and Alex for your advice!
I’ll double check my distributor and report back what I’ve got already. Definitely will speak to AC Dodd if I’ve got something suitable.
Yes I meant the starter solenoid (I’m bad with electrics!) I’ll be going for pre-engaged starter as that’s what ring gear is on my new flywheel.

So rad choice is next: having looked about fletcher seem very reasonable for an alloy so probably go for one of those.

Just fitted a fletcher to my van..carnt grumble at the price, fit and quality looks good...

#170 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:07 PM

Hi it’s all coming together. Engine bay is looking more complete, just awaiting some more deliveries. Should be a good combination of new shiny bits and refurbed parts.

Attached File  50BDC9BC-6544-4E57-9556-D6D2AABFDC29.jpeg   101.66K   4 downloads

#171 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

I think the main thing that you’ll be missing is the 1275 primary gear to suit the earlier gearbox.

You need the drop gears from the engine as the primary gear is a different size for the front bush to suit the step in the 1275 crank.

Ideally you'd keep the flywheel case that was with the gearbox, but you'll probably find that the 1275 idler gear has a larger diameter shaft and won't fit - then you'll need to use the 1275 flywheel casing. In that case I would install a new bearing on the 1st motion shaft nose, making sure you fit the new outer track that it comes with to the casing (this can be a bit if a faff!).
If you replace all the parts to make the 850 gearbox from magic wand to remote, I would love to buy the parts you remove.

Hi guys just starting to work through what I need and wanted to clarify:
1. I need to get hold of an A series (Pre A+) 24 tooth Primary gear.
2. Which idler and first motion gears am I keeping - the A 850 1st motion and the A+ 1275 idler and flywheel housing?
3. The first motion bearing you refer to is this one for my A+ 1275 flywheel casing... http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

Thanks in advance!

#172 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:06 PM

A few bits have been sorted over the last few weeks. Baby steps, but getting there slowly. Still awaiting confirmation of gearbox rebuild so plenty of time.

I got my new rad, pic of the old and new side by side below, and decided to keep the two-piece cowl so sanded it back and gave it a new lick of paint. Also cleaned up the remote housing (although still needs a proper go over with the pressure washer) and tarted up the old AA badge. The chrome part of the AA badge is badly pitted so though this would look good in black too...

Kq9Ackf.jpg

WaanpKK.jpg

rfM2jVQ.jpg

61HwvML.jpg

ZWj1Goi.jpg

pvvICfx.jpg

Also got a new delivery from DSN... last one, promise...  :shy:

J0Ns5wu.jpg

Got the clutch master cylinder plumbed in. Love the way the master cylinders look, almost sculptural or like a mini distillery!

fVjlBDl.jpg

And finally I ordered a bulkhead blanking plate from classicminisjapan.com. Wanted something that would fit without me removing the wiring and this is just the bit of kit to do it! Great quality, comes with instructions, seals and screws. Very easy to fit and should hopefully keep out most of the noise and smells when I get up and running again...

ilfvkK7.jpg

27osEpS.jpg

AcnDYQs.jpg

IIUsGG1.jpg

e6f3ZH8.jpg

Next up, I might attempt installing the 7.5" discs and suspension upgrades. :gimme:

Edited by ajperry, 01 June 2020 - 05:29 PM.

#173 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

Coming on well! Shes gonna be a stunner when your done dude

#174 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

The bulkhead blanking plate is a great idea, and I love the DSN bottle opener, but where is that on their website?

#175 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:11 PM

Thanks guys.

The bulkhead blanking plate is a great idea, and I love the DSN bottle opener, but where is that on their website?

The DSN bottle opener came as a bonus item in my last order. I've spent a lot with them so must have reached the 'free gift' threshold! 

#176 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:44 PM

My mind is straying to other things beyond the engine bay.

I've always loved the classic 10" Mambas so did a quick and dirty photoshop for some inspiration plus made it a bit lower... I'm keen, what do you think?

dVNW37fl.jpg

In other news I won a £100 minispares voucher in a raffle on Instagram! So have been spending that this weekend on some more parts to get things closer to completion.

#177 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:08 PM

I like the archless look, but I'd check whether or not you'd need to fit arches with mambas - especially if you're using the disk brake setup

#178 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

I love mamba’s, great look. Should be ok with the arch-less look unless you go deep dish mamba (which will look wrong imo) and defo get some high lows and better lowered/shorter shocks on there too.

#179 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:12 AM

New Mambas will not fit under standard arches.

10x5 offset 0 will be a fair bit out (you'd need them to be more like +40 to fit with discs)

10x6 offset -7 will be a lot out

#180 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I’m on the hunt for some original mambas. Rather than the new copies. I’ve bought one wheel 10x6 from eBay to offer up as a test. I’ve also seen a pair of 10x5 original Mambas so am keeping my eye on those and may well buy those too for a test fit.

New 7.5” discs and front and rear hilos and suspension upgrades are already purchased just sitting in boxes waiting for me to have some proper time to fit.

As much as I’d love to not need arches I’m not against putting on some small ones if necessary, probably the black plastic special arches or some slim WP style ones. But we’ll see how the fitment tests go once I’ve got the discs etc on the car.

Edited by ajperry, 10 June 2020 - 04:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users