Photo

Bodywork Restoration, Anyone Logged Man Hours?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PiG

PiG

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:06 AM

Hi

I know it's how long is a piece of string but I'm starting the bodywork on the Mpi soon and would like to get a very rough idea of what is ahead.

Got a new front end to put on and it looks like a normal mpi, plenty to do!

Working on it full time in a well equipped workshop and being fairly competent, would a couple of months be a realistic timescale excluding prep and paint for purely the metalwork?

Thanks

Paul

#2 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

if you're working on it full time with all the gear that sounds relaistic. 

I'm doing mine at home in a small garage. About 50% of the time so far (over 2 years) has mostly been just staring at it...

I would defo recomend a rollover jig. Soooooooo handy for accessing every part of the shell easily.

Q

#3 PiG

PiG

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:58 PM

I think a jig would substantially speed things up and generally make life easier, was in two minds about it but leaning towards it now

#4 joakwin

joakwin

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

the amount of tools and the amount of skills will effect the amount of time it takes to do a job

and the weather, if its super cold and your working on it at home in a garage or in the driveway, that could effect how many days you work on it or not

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

A jig is a must. I have done three full restos now. My latest which is Paddy in my signature has been done over four years. Bodywork wise its a done deal but then there is the rest to do.

I calculated on my lads car i put in 18 to 22 hrs per week over a two and bit year period. Thats also including over 45hrs of paint work prep. That was pretty constant as well.

My latest would be roughly a max of 18 hrs per week over a three and bit year period although when i have had leave booked then that went up to 30 hrs a week so at least 12 weeks of that alone. So give or take roughly 2700 man hrs in bodywork for Paddy. Body prep and painting add another 100 plus hrs.

The thing is how far you going to go. Apart from the roof, i have changed every external panel, multiple internal panels, small repairs etc etc etc.

#6 PiG

PiG

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

Lot of work you've put into those, a year as a full time job!

You can see how it would not really stack up financially having a restoration done for you to a high standard.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

All classic car restoration is a labour of love. That's why we do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users