JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:06 PM

Hi,
I didn’t manage to salvage an alternator with my Metro A+. 1275, however I do have one that is still fitted to a Metro A+998.
Would it be compatible?
What rating of Alternator should I be looking for?

Thanks

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

It depends on what electrical items you have and how you use them. For example, if you have two large spotlights, a heated windscreen, a heated rear window, an electric auxiliary fan and wish to have them all running at the same time, you will need a fairly high-output alternator.

Do a power consumption chart. Add together the wattage of every electrical item. Include side lights, main beam headlights, instrument lights, rear lights, spotlights, etc., etc. Divide the total by 12 to get the wattage and add 20% to give some reserve.

A 60 amp alternator will give an absolute maximum of 720 watts which is probably far more than is needed in a classic car.

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

The 998 Metro A+ alternator should be fine unless you're running electrical items which require an unusually large current (e.g. an array of auxiliary lights or very powerful amplifiers) in which case see post above.

#4 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:56 PM

It depends on what electrical items you have and how you use them. For example, if you have two large spotlights, a heated windscreen, a heated rear window, an electric auxiliary fan and wish to have them all running at the same time, you will need a fairly high-output alternator.

Do a power consumption chart. Add together the wattage of every electrical item. Include side lights, main beam headlights, instrument lights, rear lights, spotlights, etc., etc. Divide the total by 12 to get the wattage and add 20% to give some reserve.

A 60 amp alternator will give an absolute maximum of 720 watts which is probably far more than is needed in a classic car.

The 998 Metro A+ alternator should be fine unless you're running electrical items which require an unusually large current (e.g. an array of auxiliary lights or very powerful amplifiers) in which case see post above.

OK thanks for the info, I'll check my electrics. 

I don't have any additional lighting fitted and no heated screens. I do have a few additional electrics namely a Sony XPLOD 1000W Amplifier, Stereo, Small 2A PC and TouchScreen, I'll do some calcs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users