#181 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:48 PM

So here's everything back from being Aqua Blasted and after I gave it all a damm good wash down with my Karcher, to get rid of all the glass bead:

Here's the GearBox before washing - you can see the piles of white bead:

QZuOYxN.jpg

And here's everything washed:

sdKP0tt.jpg

I was considering taking it down to a machine shop and asking them to run it through the parts washer but I reckon it's clean enough?

I have been told to spray the outside with AC50 once it's built?

These are all the GearBox Casing bolts, to be honest they are all good so I may get them re-plated:

xvlJMwH.jpg

Next job, get all the parts I have ready for plating and get them sent off. Once that's done I think I'll build up the gearbox and wrap it up before doing the the spare subframe, although I am contemplating getting someone else to blast it to avoid the mess in my garage!! 

Then it's Engine Building Time :-)

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 22 June 2020 - 08:53 PM.

#182 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:36 PM

So just looked at my shopping list, only a few things left to get:

Radiator and Radiator Hoses - Looking at a Lechler from Huddersfield Mini Spares and some Blue Silocone Hoses

Fuel System - Going with Deamon Tweaks Facet Fuel Pump Kit with a Filter King and Pressure Regulator

Cylinder Head refurb - May have to do at a later stage 

Rocker Assy - New Rocker Shaft and some AC Dodd 1.3 ish Rockers

Brakes - Mini Sport 7.5 Calipers, Discs and Flanges

Only other bits are subframe paint, electro plating, Diff Shims (once I know what I need), Thrust Washers (again only know what I need once I re-measure the End Float)

You never know - it might be in and running by Castle Combe this year :-)

#183 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:52 AM

Just a very quick update for anyone following this.

Dropped all the bolts into a tub of DIY Citric Acid and yesterday I cleaned them up.

Here's the before shot:

xvlJMwH.jpg

And here's the after:

kp3ctmN.jpg

jMqyGjl.jpg

Most of the flanged bolts came up well, but if you zoom into the pic, you'll see that some of the others are pitted.

Not sure what to do really - buy a new Nut and Bolt set from Crafted Classics for £45 or send the better bolts off to get Zinc Plated? And buy the ones that need replacing?

What I don't want is inferior bolts and washers rusting up a week or so after they go in the car.

#184 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:10 PM

I tend to replace old fixings with new zinc plated. Old ones can let the side down if they're being refitted to a nicely restored engine or component. I don't think you need to worry about new ones rusting up, and you can always apply a squirt of dynax UC to be sure.

#185 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:15 PM

I would be more concerned that new fasteners could be made of cheese than tarnish on the old ones.Steve..

#186 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

I would be more concerned that new fasteners could be made of cheese than tarnish on the old ones.Steve..

These old ones have flanges on them which I like compared to new ones which have a washer. When cleaning them up one of the flicked out of my hand and to this day still can't be found!!

#187 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

A little progress.

Dropped the Diff Output covers off to get new bushes fitted and machined.

I have two sets, this set that came off of the engine that I am rebuilding:

sx23fvd.jpg

And these two I picked up at Castle Combe:

2q8SdVb.jpg

Today, now that I finally have some free time, I did the final cleaning of the GearBox casing in preparation for re-building:

Boiling hot soapy water and a scrub, to remove any hidden glass bead, followed by a rinse with boiling hot fresh water, then dried and blown through with an airline and dried with a hair dryer: 

iKMWxRY.jpg

Interestingly 2 -3 of the threads on the Transfer Case side are 5/16 UNF not UNC?

Then using a bit of WD40 as lubricant, I cleaned out all the threads and then blew them out with an airline:

hbeNdMv.jpg

And finally a spray with WD40 on the inside and wrapped up to keep clean:

UKukFlk.jpg

AhrSGBK.jpg

Then I spent a bit of time sorting out which parts to get plated. Still not sure about the Timing Plate, whether to countersink it and get it plated or buy an Alloy one from MED?

Ce1VSiQ.jpg

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 05 July 2020 - 06:11 PM.

#188 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

Looking good mate! It is strange that 3 threads are UNF, Has it been heli-coiled? If it's UNF in the Alloy then I'd heli-coil them the to UNC, about £15 for a set. I would just get the plate plated to save a few quid.

#189 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

Looking good mate! It is strange that 3 threads are UNF, Has it been heli-coiled? If it's UNF in the Alloy then I'd heli-coil them the to UNC, about £15 for a set. I would just get the plate plated to save a few quid.

Yes it is strange, the bolts are the same as the UNC, flanged, doesn't look heli coiled? Do you mean a set like this?

Need to countersink the two holes in the plate first, without messing it up :-)

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 05 July 2020 - 06:50 PM.

#190 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

Yes it is strange, the bolts are the same as the UNC, flanged, doesn't look heli coiled? Do you mean a set like this?

Need to countersink the two holes in the plate first, without messing it up :-)

Yeah that should be fine, I did mine just with a hand drill, checking it is square, the drill should follow the hole. 

#191 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:25 PM

Some more small progress today.

Sorted out the parts for plating and got some answers on changing the Oil Transfer Pipe for a braided type.

These are all the parts for plating:

mpYCqxW.jpg

I cleaned a few dents and dings up with a 120 Grit flap disc.

1zNDUoQ.jpg

jFpw3x8.jpg

Next job was to check the Crank Bearing Clearances using Plasti Gauge. Had to watch a YouTube Video before hand :-)

This is all done dry so you cannot rotate the crank, as such I decided to just do the main bearings for now and after lube the mains and do the big ends.

Here it is before fitting the Bearing Caps.

7QwiWpM.jpg

Then on go the bearing caps and torqued down to the correct final torque setting, which I think was 85Nm or 63lb/ft?

yvfRjyG.jpg

And once Torqued all off again to check the plasti gauge and measure the 'squish'.

QaBUF6S.jpg

All of them were between 2.0 or slightly over on the gauge which equates to 0.002" that is correct for a 1275 main journal, hopefully ok for one thats been ground +10?

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 07 July 2020 - 07:30 PM.

#192 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:36 PM

Check that the clutch plunger (http://www.minispare...|Back to search\) isn't worn where the ball of the clutch arm goes, I've had a few where they've been pretty badly worn.

#193 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:53 PM

Check that the clutch plunger (http://www.minispare...|Back to search\) isn't worn where the ball of the clutch arm goes, I've had a few where they've been pretty badly worn.

Mine looks like new - no evident wearing :-)

#194 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:10 PM

Well best laid plans of mice and men and all that, thought i'd get the pistons in today but no such luck.

First job clean the preservation grease off of the block and check all the threads. To do this I did some with a die and others with a correctly sized bolt. After I flushed them all out with WD 40 and an air line. Then cleaned all the Oilways again with a brush soaked in white spirit then brake cleaner.

Next up fit the lower bearing shells and this time apply some build lube - never sure how much to use?

4wTboyA.jpg

Then I lowered in the crank and lubed up and lowered in the new Thrust Washers.

Next I applied some lube to the upper bearing shells and added the upper Thrust Washers and Centre Main Cap.

5o2A5Tg.jpg

Then after Torquing up the Centre Main, I rigged up the DTI gauge and checked the Crank End Float.

It's only reading about 0.0015" so I need to sand down one side? Although someone suggested fitting the old Thrust Washers to the Clutch Side of the Crank?

We will see.

I struggled a bit, mainly because I didn't have things out ready and had to keep stopping to find things, this is not good practice when building an engine as you can miss vital steps like torquing up bolts.

Need to get more organised.

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 10 July 2020 - 08:12 PM.

#195 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

Take into account that you checked the float on a dry build. If you've got build lube in there, it will be slightly less. But dry I aim for 5thou.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users