57 replies to this topic

#31 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

My goal is not to have the car scraping the ground... i want the car lowered a little bit, but what is most important to me is the fitment between the arch and the tire.

I want to eliminate the wheel gap as much as possible without having issues...

thanks again for everyone's help so far!

#32 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

so sorry for all my lack of knowledge...
but using this picture can someone tell where is the best place to cut the metal in relation to the arch?

you cut whatever is needed for your set up. i only trimmed the front of the wing/front panel area as that is what the tyre caught on. if you are not changing the upper shock mounts the internal bumpstops generally stop wheels hitting the metal. but again it all comes down to what you build and want.
i will be using hi los and lowered adjustable shocks, does that change or reduce the wheel travel?

Nope. I ran about an inch gap between my sportspack arch and the tire. Rubbed like hell. I've had to trim the arch and raise the suspension a little.

did you have to trim both front and back?

#33 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

My goal is not to have the car scraping the ground... i want the car lowered a little bit, but what is most important to me is the fitment between the arch and the tire.

So why not lower the arch extensions?

#34 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

sorry this seems so complicated... but i just don't know if its better to have the tire hit the metal or the fiberglass in the event of hitting a pothole... 

#35 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

Always the arch. The arch will smash if hit hard, the tyre will smash if it keeps hitting the metal.

#36 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

sorry this seems so complicated... but i just don't know if its better to have the tire hit the metal or the fiberglass in the event of hitting a pothole... 

You shouldn't have the tyre hit anything, that's why you have bump stops. 

#37 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:41 PM

You shouldn't have the tyre hit anything, that's why you have bump stops. 

Ok! so if i lower the car, can i adjust the bump stops so that the tire will not hit anything? 

I hear a lot about having rubbing issues but if there is a way to not have the tire hit at all and just have super stiff suspension i would do that....

Edited by JakesTe, 08 March 2019 - 04:53 PM.

#38 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

no that is what bump stops do. just about every car you have posted has not been tubbed. but they will have had the front wings trimmed.

#39 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:01 PM

no that is what bump stops do. just about every car you have posted has not been tubbed. but they will have had the front wings trimmed.

Can you clarify what you mean by what the bump stops do?

#40 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

Can you clarify what you mean by what the bump stops do?

sorry... i understand what the bump stops do... but lower the suspension, and i have the flare close to the tire, will the bump stop still be close enough to stop the wheel before touching the flare? that make sense?

sorry for my stupid questions :shy:

#41 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:14 PM

I reckon you should buy and fit HiLos, then progressively lower the car until you either get the look you want, or you hit a problem. Then it should be quite clear what needs adjusting/spacing/trimming.

#42 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

I reckon you should buy and fit HiLos, then progressively lower the car until you either get the look you want, or you hit a problem. Then it should be quite clear what needs adjusting/spacing/trimming.

i have hi los already...

the car is a bare shell right now almost ready to get painted and i would like to sort this out and cut fenders as well as drill holes for the flares before paint!

#43 JakesTe

JakesTe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:24 PM

most of my questions are answered, so thanks everyone!

i just need to know that if i reduce the wheel gap on the car, will the bumpstop need to be modified so that it will stop the wheel sooner at a lower height than it was meant to from the factory?

#44 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

You need to mock it up with the car at its correct weight and fitted with the wheels and tyres you're going to use other wise you're just guessing.

#45 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

You need to mock it up with the car at its correct weight and fitted with the wheels and tyres you're going to use other wise you're just guessing.

This.

Once the shell has heavy subframes and a heavy engine fitted your measurements for a shell only will be miles off.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users