8 replies to this topic

#1 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:46 PM

I have my budget build underway and ive made my own pillar and most panels will be fabd however along side this i have just started my mk 3 rebuild at my other lock up this i want to keep original with off the shelf panels and purchased a magnum door post (the outer skin basicaly) it just doesnt seem to fit the lower section where it curves to meet the original door step seems 8 mm lower than my step ?? Its aligned with the stiffener panel and the check strap bracket anyone else had problems with this panel

Attached Files

Edited by stumpy75, 08 March 2019 - 12:35 AM.

#2 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:05 PM

This here

#3 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:05 PM

This here

#4 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

Their door steps don't fit either. The profile is completely different.

#5 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

I have a magnum step and it didnt fit so made my own but on this i didnt want to do that and i dont need the heritage door pillar and step panel i would chop £40 worth off it

Attached Files

#6 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:32 PM

Dont know if this is common knowledge but today i offered the magnum door step with the magnum door pillarand it does slot together and is the right height it looks like the door step slots over the top of lower of the pillar very strange i think a genuine panel will be on the cards altho it could be made to work with some cutting and shutting to blent the two

#7 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:48 PM

im no rocket surgeon but i had the same problem...

CLICK HERE

i just hit mine flat and started my own creation...

#8 stumpy75

stumpy75

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

Nice work on that roof mate

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:25 AM

BMW own the rights to the original Classic Mini body panel shapes, so, to get round paying a licence fee, other panel makers have to make theirs slightly different.

I found this out almost 25 years ago.  Knowing that Fisher and Ludlow used to make stainless steel kitchen sinks as well as BMC body panels, as an idea to raise money for a charity, I tried to get 40 stainless steel Mini shells made for 40 really special Minis, to be auctioned world wide for the Mini's 40th birthday.

I hoped that the advertising department could have made a "Willy Wonka Golden Bar" "thing" out of it, but nobody was interested.

Undaunted, I contacted an "after market" company and asked if they could do it.  They said that they would have been delighted to help but they didn't make the bulkheads, because legally, if they made all the panels they would have to pay a licence fee, but they could avoid this if they only made selected panels to their own design.

Edited by DeadSquare, 09 March 2019 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users