8 replies to this topic

#1 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 07:41 PM

I didn't want to replace all the panels on the car, it looked ok when I bought it.....

Hoping the that the rear of the car was good but i've found holes...

I think I know what the answer is but here goes 

Whilst tiding up the rear panel lip before welding to new floor, I've found lots of filler in the hinge panel including under the hinges. 

2iFf0wo.jpg

Okph38L.jpg

dyZvakV.jpg

The lip has been replaced, I assumed with a repair panel but having a closer look it looks like someone has skilfully shaped the panel, however it does not meet the boot

floor lip 

eVaa04U.jpg

7ZH1U5J.jpg

What is the measurement from boot hinge panel to the lip? 

Do these measurements look correct?

NYW3lCq.jpg

EKrGQrN.jpg

7ZH1U5J.jpg

The bottoms of the rear quarters need repairing, use an repair panel or full panel? 

offside rear quarter needs repair at the bottom and at the rear arch (been patched before)

Nwl2gBT.jpg

YWE9lHb.jpg

DT314Th.jpg?1

window opening has extra ventilation 

i1FVXUg.jpg

nearside That is a blob of weld

mAP0luA.jpg

Cant find pic of bottom panel but looks like the other side and you can see hole in last pic below

The steps on both sides have been replaced and welded where the quarter panel would normally over lap 

XJOKHAk.jpg

9ZDVWbc.jpg

Rear Bins are out at the moment and I have not welded the rear quarters to the new floor 

Should I replace all 3 panels?   My welding is not great and I'm not confident that I can weld middle of panel without distorting it.  Will hire a spot welder for the panel seams

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

If your budget can stretch to it then I would get the panels. I would get the half rear panel LINK and then the 2 quarter panels. It'll be a lot quicker and easier.

#3 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:02 PM

I would also say use the half rear panel as it’s only slightly more than a hinge panel, for the rear quarters if you are on a budget use the magnum ones they are cheap and fit without much trouble, I originally bought the lower repair panel for quarters and decided to fit full quarters, I compared heritage to magnum at mini spares and decided the heritage were not worth the extra, I had no issues with the magnum ones at all and think they were about £30 each,

Here is one clamped in position, and it needed no adjustment at all

47269631492_be15363f1d_c.jpg1AB70D11-DD28-44D0-B70C-FA6B4231E27F by darren carr, on Flickr

Edited by Daz1968, 08 March 2019 - 11:08 PM.

#4 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

No brainer, full panels! Just saves a load of time and hassle. There is so much filler there its just not worth faffing about

Q

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

Yep, half rear panel and quarters would be my recommendation. Might benefit from steps too.

As for the gap between the bumper lips on the back, A new panel would give you a better idea however, when you fit it make sure that you align it to the c pillars first and measure your rear screen aperture first. Something doesn't look right to me and if you clamp the bumper lips first, you may end up with the panel too low. I have done this before (admittedly I didn't go as far as welding it in) and it all looked good. The rear shelf lip lined up nicely with the lip on the back panel too but what had happened was the shelf had dropped down to it giving a window aperture that was too tall.

Always take plenty of measurements is the game here. 

#6 CBJ805T

CBJ805T

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

I’d get the half panels and replace the lot. I’ve done both sides on mine. Invest in a B&D power file for the external seam between the rear 1/4 and boot panel. I cut the panel near to the seam with a slitting disc then used the power file to ‘grind’ the roller welded seam before welding it all up

#7 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

Thanks guys, always good to get 2nd opinion on a job.
Will get the panels on order ready for next weekend, also found a hire shop in Swindon that provides spot welder for a week @ £45. Lot less cleaning up.

#8 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

I have all the new panels now. 

What order would be best to replace them?  Do I do the rear panel first, using the seams on quarters for alignment or rear quarters first?

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:50 PM

I started at the back with Paddy, boot floor next then arches followed by heelboard, waist rail, inner sills, companion bins then quarter panels. Door steps, A posts, inner wings etc etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users