#1 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:38 PM

Hi everyone. A new baby has meant I’ve been spending less time in the garage and more time thinking about it!! Later in the year I would like to get out to more club events. I would like to use the same car to do Autotest’s, AutoSolo’s, Targa rallies on sealed surfaces (which look a right laugh) and possibly in the future: Sprints and Hillclimb’s. There are loads of all of these events within 100 miles from me, thoughout the year.

At the moment I have a fibreglass flip front which will possibly cause me some grief, putting me in different class to where I want to be and excluding me from some events i.e. Targa. Across all those disciplines fairly consistently there is an equivalent ‘road going <1400cc’ class and that is where I want to be.

Therefore, I am considering putting a steel front back in. Ideally I would like to keep this flipped so it will be a one or two piece welded up affair, attached at the front with 2no. hinges and at the back with 4no. bolts at the rear. I would keep the current brace bars. Half the inner wing is on the car and half (the flappy bit) will be on the flip front. Do you think this would meet the regs? 

Blue Book on Autotests M4.1a) Body shape must conform to the original silhouette of the production vehicle and retain the original layout of engine and transmission.

And Blue Book on Sprints 11.4.1. Silhouette of the vehicle must remain unaltered in construction, dimension and material.

And Blue Book on Rallying 18.1. Bodywork must represent the manufacturer’s original profile and may include any optional extras available directly from the manufacturer.

The ACSMC AutoSolo regs say "In all classes, cars must retain the original body profile above the hub centreline, apart from accessories such as spoilers." and "In classes A to D, cars must retain the original panel and window materials although additional panels such as wheel arch extensions are permitted. Cars in these classes must have full trim and seats, although trim maybe changed."

The local AutoSolo regs say slightly different: “cars must maintain the original body panels and window materials although accessories such as spoilers and wheel arch extensions may be added.”…. “all cars must maintain the original body profile above the hub centreline….”

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. I would like to keep a flip front as working on the car is actually enjoyable with it! And i think would be fairly easy to achieve. 

Edited by Trissy B, 09 March 2019 - 05:14 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

to be honest dont bother with a flip. just weld the front together and bolt on at the front and make some fixing to the A panels and to the skuttle area and have a opening bonnet. way way easier to do little jobs and still easy for big jobs.

have done both and the flip/removable all have issues.

#3 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

OK fair enough I see that. Any issues you think with the inner wing being in two halves and not totally as original?

#4 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:19 PM

I made a steel flip front on my project what an absolute PITA that was!!!!! think my issues were mainly the hinge mechanism.  welding one up is easy enough but getting panels to move in close proximity without wrecking paint is difficult.  takes a lot of time to get it right.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:44 PM

I made a steel flip front on my project what an absolute PITA that was!!!!! think my issues were mainly the hinge mechanism.  welding one up is easy enough but getting panels to move in close proximity without wrecking paint is difficult.  takes a lot of time to get it right.

even with the "glass" ones you have the same issue.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

OK fair enough I see that. Any issues you think with the inner wing being in two halves and not totally as original?

now here it all comes down to the "scruts" some will be looking for metal between the wheel centre verticals inner and outer. which is why some have steel wings up to the wheel centres under their lightweight carbon fronts but others stop at the A panels. to be honest it comes down to reading the rules and regulations and seeing what is permitted and for what reason.

#7 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

Yea totally agree fitting a flip front is a right pain. It took a long time to get it to stop rattling and fitting with all the right panel gaps etc. Plan is to keep all the same fittings as existing; hinges and fasteners. Secure in place on the car then weld up. Then switch all the bits and pieces over; lights, wiring etc.

The current inner wing goes well past the wheel centreline, so that all sounds good. I noticed that the bulkhead stops at the wheel centreline too.

[/url]IMG_20190310_080236125 by Trissy B, on Flickr">http://<a href='http...c.kr/p/SYGbUC'>33459403348_4c3cf8889f_k.jpgIMG_20190310_080236125 by Trissy B, on Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users