#1 skags2

skags2

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:32 AM

12H159C-H5542

i think alegro but can anybody tell me more ? 

thanks

Attached Files

#2 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 07:11 AM

http://www.theminifo...-numbers/page-2

Have a read on the remainder of the article as well

I expect someone will be able to nail it a bit closer

Edited by richmondclassicsnorthwales, 10 March 2019 - 07:14 AM.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

the front plate gives it away. but yes not originally from a Mini and from what i can see it is likely to be allegro.

#4 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

12H159C-H5542

i think alegro but can anybody tell me more ? 

Not easy as you've only supplied an engine number & 1 fuzzy photo.... Engine casting numbers?, number of head studs/bolts?, cylinder head numbers/stamped numbers? etc.

There are vague references to 12H159C being an early 70BHP(?) Allegro number

....but most info points to this being from a 1967-72 ADO16 MG1300 or Riley 1300 (on a later rod change gearbox).

12H = horizontal 1275cc

159 = Lucas C40/1 dynamo, all speed synchromesh remote gearbox,

C = positive crank case ventilation , twin hs2 carburetors 

H = high compression

Normally MG/Riley engine numbers start with 12G -but thanks to Supersonic(Mk1 forum), mab01uk, & Moke Spider it's been shown that some start with 12H.

Is it a 11 stud block? & is the cylinder head stamped by the thermostat 12G1805? ....If so then it's almost definitely the ADO16 MG/Riley engine.

#5 skags2

skags2

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:41 AM

sorry cant get head information, 

these are all the photos. 

next question is will it fit into a mini or what's involved 

Attached Files

#6 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:37 AM

12H 159C is an Austin/Morris 1300 (ADO 16) engine. It would originally have had a remote change gearbox with rubber drive couplings, this one has had a gearbox change, it is not originally from an Allegro.

This is is not an MG 1300 or Riley unit. A few early ones had 12G prefix engine numbers but the vast majority of those 70bhp units had the 12H prefix, but they would not have had the 159C code.

#7 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:58 AM

It appears to have the wrong transfer case too as its not drilled and tapped for a crankcase breather.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

Ok now we can see more of it I would say it was a engine swap onto existing box. and just a 1275 engine nothing special.

needs a strip and check but should be fun.

#9 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:32 AM

This is is not an MG 1300 or Riley unit. A few early ones had 12G prefix engine numbers but the vast majority of those 70bhp units had the 12H prefix, but they would not have had the 159C code.

Blast! That's a shame. I found 1 reference to 159C being a standard ADO16 1275.... but 2 references to it being a twin carb version.

Just found something today -would the code for the 70bhp units be 298F????  (Lucas C40 dynamo, S type design variants, Close ratio remote control gearbox, Carburettor crankcase ventilation and twin carbs).

.... & do you know of any online websites that give a complete list of ADO16 engine numbers?

It appears to have the wrong transfer case too as its not drilled and tapped for a crankcase breather.

Yep, i noticed some anomalies but didn't want to complicate matters further (& were they fitted before 1971?)

My 12G1279 11stud engine has a 12G1938 clutch case breather but i can't remember if it originally had a timing cover breather (oh well,it has now).

#10 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:44 PM

Yep, i noticed some anomalies but didn't want to complicate matters further (& were they fitted before 1971?)

My 12G1279 11stud engine has a 12G1938 clutch case breather but i can't remember if it originally had a timing cover breather (oh well,it has now).

The 1st 1275 engine I bought back in 1985 was from a 1967 austin 1300, it had an open breather on the transfer housing. I'm still running that transfer housing and breather today. You can just see it in the photo if you zoom in.

Attached Files

#11 skags2

skags2

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:44 AM

thanks for that, so austin 1300 should be a straight bolt in? I currently have a 1000 but have been looking out for 1275 which seem to be getting harder to find, this has poped up and im trying to work out if it is worth it. 

the description was as follows 

"Has been stored in a garage out of weather but not out of dust! Was intended to be a racing mini motor, but to the best of my knowledge is stock standard, and was not modified or touched. "

"o the best of my knowledge this was either purchased as a back up motor to be done up for racing, or removed from a body and kept as a backup. The time frame would be around 2002-2005, I'm sorry I cannot be more precise. Since then it has been kept in storage, undercover, and at some stage, still in the garage, but uncovered, hence the surface dirt and dust"

The 1st 1275 engine I bought back in 1985 was from a 1967 austin 1300, it had an open breather on the transfer housing. I'm still running that transfer housing and breather today. You can just see it in the photo if you zoom in.

would this fit the original engine mounts? 

Ok now we can see more of it I would say it was a engine swap onto existing box. and just a 1275 engine nothing special.

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

would this fit the original engine mounts? 

it has already been in a Mini.

#13 dodge44

dodge44

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

'Belt and braces' but later 1300GT's of course featured crank case breathers on both the transfer case and the timing cover with a 'T' piece joiner. Presume you are using a single piece cowling but how do you get on with the space (or lack of it) at the radiator end on a Mini with the timing cover baked bean can breather filling what space there is?

It's fair to say 12G1938 clutch case breathers are rather elusive!

Roger

#14 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:44 PM

'Belt and braces' but later 1300GT's of course featured crank case breathers on both the transfer case and the timing cover with a 'T' piece joiner. Presume you are using a single piece cowling but how do you get on with the space (or lack of it) at the radiator end on a Mini with the timing cover baked bean can breather filling what space there is?

It's fair to say 12G1938 clutch case breathers are rather elusive!

Roger

I'm running MED's alloy timing cover and a home made breather canister mounted to the upper radiator cowling

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users