16 replies to this topic

#1 Badger1975

Badger1975

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

Any inspiration or ideas for using dashboard parts from BMW minis in your classics.
I’m thinking centre binnacle surrounds, airs vents or toggle switches from the German counterparts.
I look at the prices of dashboards for a standard 3 clock set up and wonder what alternatives solutions can be found that still suit the look of a classic.
I’ve trawled the site for ideas but couldn’t find a great deal.
Thanks in advance.
Luke

#2 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

Controversial move on here.... they don't like the MINI in these parts.

I've seen the toggle switches & air vents used before so it is possible.

#3 Badger1975

Badger1975

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:47 PM

I know. I fully respect the purists stance and I was unsure if to post. However, there’s such a broad spectrum of tweaks that people have done so didn’t think it would do any harm.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:08 PM

The early R50/R53 Centre speedo dash has been fitted in a classic Mini before and was featured in an issue of MiniWorld sometime back. Speedo and gauges are electronic via Body Control Modules so not sure you could adapt them to work.....

Front sports seats in leather or part leather have also been fitted and are cheap and plentiful secondhand. Rear lights have been fitted but don't look good on a classic in my opinion. The full panoramic glass sunroof cassette has also been fitted in a few classic Minis, see below.

The very neat New MINI into Classic Mini panoramic sunroof conversion as seen on Pistonheads.

http://www.theminifo...ver-mini/page-3

BMWSunroof3.jpg

BMWSunroof.jpg

BMWSunroof2.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 10 March 2019 - 11:10 PM.

#5 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:24 PM

I suppose the one good thing about fitting MINI interior plastics into a classic Mini is that the ridiculous squeaking and rattles they produce will be drowned out by the good old A-Series!  ;D

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:39 PM

Take it or leave with regards to purists. I like to think that what you do to YOUR car is YOUR choice.

It really depends on how well it integrates into the interior to be honest. We see all sorts from some home brew interiors (and not just from classic mini's either) that a three year old would be ashamed of, to some stunning works of art.

Give it a go and see what comes of it.  

#7 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:17 PM

One of the problems with reusing switches from a later car is that usually these switches are designed to just signal to the ECU and then the ECU turns on the device. If you take apart the BMW mini toggle switches you'll find the wiring very thin and the actual switch contacts are just carbon blocks. The sort of switches found in a TV remote. You can still use these, but you must run each switch through a relay that is capable of handling the current required by the device. Switches like the electric window switches that work in two directions will require two relays. Also bear in mind that a standard 40amp car relay may require more operating current than the carbon contacts can handle so you also may need some electronics or additional miniature relays between the two. If this seems to be more trouble than its worth, then you can buy the toggle switches with LED's in the levers and the switch guards, from Car Builder Solutions. 

Edited by Compdoc, 19 March 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#8 Badger1975

Badger1975

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:46 PM

Cheers all. Loving that full length sunroof. Not that I'd ever have the courage to do that. Still contemplating getting some used dash trims off ebay and see what I can cobble together.

#9 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

Not sure about the BMW stuff, it’s ok. But a bit of a caricature of the original. The stuff that looks good to me is when people use stuff like the Alfa GTV seats. That’s Italian style and it looks good :-)

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

The R50/53 (Mk1) MINI dashboard and interior was designed and developed by Rover engineers at Gaydon and if you look closely it has a very similar style and construction to the Rover 75 and MG ZT dashboard. With the R56 (Mk2) MINI BMW completely redesigned the original Rover R50 dash with a larger speedo and incorporated the radio controls in the bottom part of the central speedo. There have been examples of the R50 dash cut down in width and fitted in classic Minis but not been able to find any photos yet....

Edited by mab01uk, 29 September 2019 - 08:44 AM.

#11 Furyan

Furyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:33 PM

An older Z Cars mini when the chap Chis was in charge with the new mini dash bits and if you look closely it also has the new mini wiper/indicator stalks

#12 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

As well as the classic, we have an R53 and R55 in the fleet.

I was sitting in my R55 thinking that maybe they'd [the centre switches] look OK in a classic but, really, it's all a bit plasticy like every modern car. It doesn't really fit with the 'feel' of a classic. It's a very difficult thing to describe as 'feel' is massively subjective but plastic interior components just don't sit well in my mind (doesn't matter where they are sourced from). The same way that grafting in fancy dashboards to make it feel 'modern' don't really work either.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm all for adding some comfort and modern features into the car if you want but it's better (IMO) to do it in such a way that is sympathetic to the car. Use switch gear that feels like it was made in the right era, hide away electronics etc...

With regards to the technicalities. You'll probably find you'll need to build some circuits to work with switch gear from most modern cars. They might be simply multi/charlieplexed or possibly attached directly to a communications bus.

Edited by Icey, 02 October 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#13 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:56 AM

The modern dashboard fitted to the David Brown Mini Remastered may also be of interest.....

FSTwKdA.jpg

#14 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:30 AM

That looks really tidy :)

#15 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:19 AM

I really don't like what he had done to the interior. I understand that, given the Price tag, buyer will expect some kind of iPad on wheels, but dat display... Common...

The airvents and the dials are nice. But even the glove box seems off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users