#16 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

Pete, you would be better off starting a fresh thread in the Bodywork section to be honest.

That way as its technical you will rack up more posts. Also people tend to look more there than in the introducing section.

I can cut and paste my stuff over but if you start a new thread then i will move this thread across for you and add it to the new thread.

So start it here and call it something like Fresh Air vent rust or something akin to that. I will then move this thread so the info flows.

http://www.theminifo...-and-detailing/

#17 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:15 PM

Started a new thread, thanks. Ordered the panel, working out best fitting method now.

#18 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

Hi, thought I should offer some update, I am in a real dilemma, have been for a few weeks. Really happy with the mini, but thinking about what I want. Going back 30 years I ran my first cars out of scrap yard parts and loved it, tinkering, doing jobs, finding fixes. Always loved mini’s. I want some of that magic feel back and don’t think I want a full strip restoration project hence I wanted to get the mini I bought mot’d and using as a rolling project.......however as I am looking at jobs for mot I see the need to strip and get more involved, my dilemma is whether to take on the full project. Risk is I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew! Words of wisdom gratefully received.

#19 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:33 PM

Pete,

its really down to you and what you think you can actually achieve with your current skillset.

I think we all take on something that morphs into something else. So you need to have a good long think about what you would like to achieve with your car, what you are prepared to spend on it, time and money and then go from there.

Probably not the best answer but ultimately its down to you. If you can wield spanners, fabricate bits and pieces and of course the biggy weld then you are over half way there.

I basically dove in where angels feared to tread and three restos later there is not a lot i wont do. I have an engineering background (Aviation) which helps and also being able to approach things from different angles helps as well.

#20 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

Cheers, I know it’s going to be mine to see through, I am going to build it up from where it is, planning on keeping the car for some time so getting to know it’s ins and outs will be good. First job is repair of the vent, need to take off door for access to weld. Four nuts under wheel arch, full of crud, look rusty. Two questions, what size socket should fit? and does anybody have any tips for these, very wary it looks easy to sheer the stud! Cheers as always.

#21 Pataaa

Pataaa

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:37 PM

Bit of background to the decision not to strip the car I am late 40’s, 4 kids, 2 dogs, and a reasonably understanding wife, limited facilities but probably more limited on time. I want to enjoy running and tinkering with it, daughter has already named it ludicrous, and I want to show my kids not everything is electronic and internet based. A big decider however is the unfinished projects on eBay I know mine could end up there if I am not careful how I tread!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users