#1 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:03 AM

I have used Electrox on the underneath of the car and floor inside the boot and interior, I brushed this on and then coated the underneath with stone chip;all the areas that I have painted have remained rust free for nearly 2 years whilst I crack on elsewhere. I am now considering brushing Electrox over the whole car and then going over again with an epoxy spray primer before applying a top coat.

Has anybody else done this? Perhaps this is overkill?

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

Trouble with brush painting is the work to get it flat afterwards prior to any other coats, epoxy is designed for bare metal and proven to work, only issue is it words better on a blasted surface, I ran over the car with p80 on a da to rough it up a little prior to epoxy, hopefully it has adhered well.

#3 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

Hmm, just looking for maximum protection, and the Electrox seems really good; the garage gets damp, and even where the primer has been damaged not rust has come through.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:32 PM

Spray the Electrox, as already mentioned it'll save a lot of trouble later. I brush primed the roof of a Mini many many years ago .... I certainly won't do it again!

#5 mickyh

mickyh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

Will I need to thin it?

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

The non-aerosol version can be thinned up to 10% with Bilt Hamber xylene thinners. Download the data sheet etc from Bilt Hamber.

#7 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:16 AM

I have used Electrox on the underneath of the car and floor inside the boot and interior, I brushed this on and then coated the underneath with stone chip;all the areas that I have painted have remained rust free for nearly 2 years whilst I crack on elsewhere. I am now considering brushing Electrox over the whole car and then going over again with an epoxy spray primer before applying a top coat.

Has anybody else done this? Perhaps this is overkill?

I did exactly what you have done. You can't really have overkill on a Mini!

I used the spay cans of Electrox on the inside and the canned Electrox with a roller on the underside. Then on the underside I rollered on Jotun epoxy primer (used on ships) then body coloured Raptor with a shultz gun. On the subframes I used Electrox, Jotun and spray can Frost chassis black.

The good thing about Jotun is that when used on ships they overpaint it on a regular basis, so its obviously not fussy about being applied to bare steel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users