#1 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

He didn’t “invent” the World Wide Web.

In 1986 an obscure research building in Glasgow staffed by boffins called THE TURING INSTITUTE began a project to perfect a way of updating SWIFT global bank manuals using HTTP(Hyper Text Transfer Protocol) and it had already gone live by 1988.

The project was privately funded unfortunately and the research couldn’t be published .. to make matters even worse the lead engineer on the project Arnaud David Rubin was killed in the PanAm 103 crash on 21Dec 1988.

Moment in time .. twist of fate .. call it what you want.

Tim Berners -Lee only picked up the already functioning TURING concept and with CERN and improved it to what we know today as the internet.

Google .. Glasgow Herald Turing Institute ... if you want to read more about this

Edited by Fastorq, 20 April 2019 - 08:15 AM.

#2 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:41 PM

In 1982 I was connecting to Bulletin Boards throughout the UK and downloading various things. This was  using an ex PO 300baud Telex modem and dialup. This was a publically available facility but you had to dial up each Bulletin Board seperately. What the Internet did was to allow them all to be accessed with 1 phonecall. That's what I remember. My computer was an Atari 400 16k. Went on to have an ST and then a Falcon, using a similar interface to the Apple Mac. Long before microsoft 'invented' windows.

#3 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:02 PM

Of course you mean Microsoft stole Windows from Xerox.

#4 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:38 PM

This is one of my pet hates. Tim Berners-Lee INVENTED THE WORLD WIDE WEB not The Internet

The internet has been around since the 60s and was invented by what is now DARPA. Some artefacts of this can still be found today in the reverse DNS zone file naming convention .apra

#5 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:51 PM

Few people understand the distinction between the layers of a network.

#6 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:43 PM

My claim to fame is transferring tape games for the ZX81 & Spectrum

in 1981 / 2  , over CB radio - sometimes it actually worked with little programs

we could have wrote the programs quicker - but that wasn't the point

also we did a few with a local radio station , which was one way , but more successful 

After that - I discovered cars & women , wasted a lot of time that way as well

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

" But I read it on the on internet, so it must be true "

The modern world has be evolving at an ever increasing rate, but since the internet, it seems like it's gone from 'N/A' to 45 psi boost and rising.

For better or for worse, it's here to stay.

I do find the push for everything to go on line, to save costs amusing though.  Bank Robberies for one example, were a rare occurrence pre-internet, with maybe one a month at best and it would make the news. Now days, the Banks incur 1000's daily and it's so prevalent, we never hear of it anymore.

#8 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:34 AM

Amongst other programs like VIP 123 Professional. They also acquired Autoroute and totally screwed it up. 

#9 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:50 AM

Amongst other programs like VIP 123 Professional. They also acquired Autoroute and totally screwed it up. 

Don't forget DRI's CP/M operating system

and a few non compliant directors , who drove off cliffs / mountain roads after not wanting to sell to microshaft 

all rumours apparently 

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

This is one of my pet hates. Tim Berners-Lee INVENTED THE WORLD WIDE WEB not The Internet

The internet has been around since the 60s and was invented by what is now DARPA. Some artefacts of this can still be found today in the reverse DNS zone file naming convention .apra

An "Internet" had been invented in the early 1960's, at the Royal Radar Establishment at Malvern., although there was probably collaboration with the GPO at Dollis Hill.

Encoded Information was transmitted using a continuous gas lazar,    ...   so long as the beam wasn't interrupted.

The project was cut back in late 1963 because it was thought that there would never be enough terminals to justify the work.                          

I was living in Malvern at the time;  the project wasn't secret and I knew some of the boffins that got moved to other lazar research.

ARPA saw the potential for military communications in the USA and some of my boffin friends were sent there to help and between them, came up with the idea of a "Modem"

It wasn't until a couple of years after the "www." came along, that one of them told me  "We could have done that in 1967 if it wasn't Top Secret". 

Nobody could have ever envisaged, that by the 1980's, kids would have computers in schools.  All the terminals were there, just waiting for a Web, while the world got by with a  FAX and electronic mail.

#11 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

My claim to fame is transferring tape games for the ZX81 & Spectrum

in 1981 / 2  , over CB radio - sometimes it actually worked with little programs

we could have wrote the programs quicker - but that wasn't the point

also we did a few with a local radio station , which was one way , but more successful 

After that - I discovered cars & women , wasted a lot of time that way as well

We lived in Bristol from 81 to 84 and used to download programs from I think Radio West over the air onto cassette and then run them. Mainly Atari 400/800 and Commodore Vic20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users