19 replies to this topic

#1 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:16 PM

Been looking over the mini today after the ToC ready for the ilkley jubilee. I have noticed a movement in the steering wheel. If sat in the car I can move the steering wheel and the outer column up and down (so pivots towards the windscreen or towards my lap) about 10mm pinch bolts and rack u bolts are all tight.

If I do it with my fingers down towards the pinch bolt the movement all appears to be In the column outer.

I know the car had a new minispares rack fitted only a couple hundred miles before I bought it so maybe 4000 miles ago total.

There is no play side to side or in the wheel itself. Is this a sign of worn column bushes or something else?

Edited by 28hodge, 12 March 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:54 PM

Sounds like a worn or incorrectly fitted lower column bush.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:04 PM

you are able to move the outer column? that is only clamped in one place and if that is loose you have safety issues.

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:24 PM

Column is pinched up on the lip of the lower dash ledge, standard they have a shear bolt, have a look at whats happening at this point and see if its loose, as I've seen far to many Shear Bolts undone/done up with mole grips or been replaced with a 5/16 Nut and Bolt which is the way forward.

Edited by KernowCooper, 12 March 2019 - 10:52 PM.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:27 PM

If you have one of these:
http://www.minispare...|Back to search

........They’re ****! Only pressed together and once they start to have play they go quickly.

#6 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:27 PM

All the bolts in the lower bottom lip of the dash rail are tight. As is everything else zero play in any other part of the steering other than this?

#7 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

If the pinch bolt is tight on the column then I can see it moving up and down? Unless its been over tightened and crushed the tube, and the bolts tight in the clamp and fully closed, and the crushed tube is moving  are you sure its not the spline sliding up down between rack pinion and inner column where the 7/16 pinch bolt is ?

Edited by KernowCooper, 12 March 2019 - 11:02 PM.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:22 AM

It sounds to me like the spline is stripped, even just partly.

Have a look at the gap where the pinch bolt goes in. If it's done up and there's no gap here, then you have a stripped column.

If there is a gap, and the Pinch Bolt is tight, then the Rack is Karput. The new racks are none too brilliant.

#9 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:52 AM

Ok to be clear as I think you are thinking the movement is in a different direction to what it is.

The movement is not up and down, as in I cannot move the wheel closer or further away from my chest. The movement is not that of say a telescope where I can extend the column if that makes sense.

The movement is in an arc. Imagine you are looking through the open door and stood outside the car, the column has a small amount of movement where it can be moved closer to the dash or closer to the seat in an arc. Does that make sense?

It may be you have understood me correctly initially and I've misunderstood some of the replies.

The wheel when turned, instantly turns the wheels there is no slop or play in the steering at all.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

so as I said the outer column is only held in one place.  does it move there? if no then it will be your bush in the top of the column and you are bending the inner column when you move the wheel.

#11 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

If you have one of these:
http://www.minispare...|Back to search

........They’re ****! Only pressed together and once they start to have play they go quickly.

Pretty sure I do have one of these, I'll see if this has developed play. Is there a better one to buy?

#12 28hodge

28hodge

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:01 AM

so as I said the outer column is only held in one place. does it move there? if no then it will be your bush in the top of the column and you are bending the inner column when you move the wheel.

Sorry nick I'd missed you reply, it all appears tight where the column fixes, that said I need to have a check over the bracket Graeme has mentioned to make sure that's not developed play.

I think having had a wiggle late last night that the inner column is moving on the bush. But I'll take the column cowl off tonight and have a better look to confirm

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:03 AM

so as I said the outer column is only held in one place. does it move there? if no then it will be your bush in the top of the column and you are bending the inner column when you move the wheel.

Sorry nick I'd missed you reply, it all appears tight where the column fixes, that said I need to have a check over the bracket Graeme has mentioned to make sure that's not developed play.

I think having had a wiggle late last night that the inner column is moving on the bush. But I'll take the column cowl off tonight and have a better look to confirm

but even that bracket is clamped tight at both ends it aint really an issue unless it is moving when you are getting your movement. it really is going to be a two person diagnosis one to move the wheel and the other to feel (easier than looking) the movment.

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:06 AM

Ok to be clear as I think you are thinking the movement is in a different direction to what it is.

The movement is not up and down, as in I cannot move the wheel closer or further away from my chest. The movement is not that of say a telescope where I can extend the column if that makes sense.

The movement is in an arc. Imagine you are looking through the open door and stood outside the car, the column has a small amount of movement where it can be moved closer to the dash or closer to the seat in an arc. Does that make sense?

It may be you have understood me correctly initially and I've misunderstood some of the replies.

The wheel when turned, instantly turns the wheels there is no slop or play in the steering at all.

Ah, OK cheers.

Then it'll be either Bushes in the Column if it has free movement or a bent Inner Column if it moves through an Arc while being turned.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

That drop bracket is a adding a pivot, at least make sure it's arranged so both of its fixing points are in line and perpendicular to the column, not forming a dog leg.

Suppose someone ought to mention slackening the rack U bolt nuts while you adjust the angle of the column so it can align and not stress the splines connecting the two.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users