19 replies to this topic

#1 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:31 PM

In order to get my single HIF 44 with pancake manifold to clear the bulkhead. I had to extend the engine stay slightly. This has tipped the engine forward a little. The result however is that the maniflow exhaust manifold now touches or is very very close the the underside of the car where it loops underneath and joins the single lengty3pipe. Not sure what to do? Perhaps get the gas torch on the manifold and then bend it slightly???

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

it fits? then what is the problem?

#3 Archived3

Archived3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Archived
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:11 PM

-

Edited by Mrplastic, 17 March 2019 - 10:58 AM.

#4 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

998 engine stays are shoter than the later 1275spi/carb cross  ones as the engine was moved 1/2" forward , is the mainflow manifold for a 998 or 1275 if a 1275 might be the wrong shape?? 

#5 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:58 PM

The maniflow is for a 1275. The carb is on a quite long inlet manifold and just has a simple K&N pancake filter. But there wasn't enough room. The car is a MK3 1000 HL originally. I don't know if the bulkhead is different than a 1275 one would be? There isn't much in it to be honest 10mm would be more than enough. Its move the exhaust or change the bulkhead and move the engine back a little bit.

#6 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

Reading back I see what you are saying. Its just the down pipes from the engine that are the issue. You can presumably get the maniflow manifold for the 998 in the same bore size as the 1275 which I think is the 1.5inch one.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

The issue you have is that the HIF (1990 onwards) carb equipped engines have the engine mounts 1/2 inch forward than previous frames.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:11 AM

still dont see an issue you will just have a really well fitted exhaust and will not have an hanging down issues.

#9 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

The issue you have is that the HIF (1990 onwards) carb equipped engines have the engine mounts 1/2 inch forward than previous frames.

This... I had the same problem... Fitting an spi sourced subframe sorted clearance issues perfectly...

Edited by wile e coyote, 14 March 2019 - 11:43 AM.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

If it is really close it may hit the body which will cause a nasty vibration when accelerating.

Get the gas torch out, heat it up locally and bend it a bit. That's what I do if the pipe hits the body. I usually wedge a piece of wood a bit further back between body and pipe, then heat it locally around the joint between manifold and exhaust pipe whilst levering it with a pry bar. A but brutal, perhaps, but it does work.

#11 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

Its move the exhaust or change the bulkhead and move the engine back a little bit.

.or as suggested above, find an inlet manifold that's shorter or angles the carb a little higher to clear the bulkhead ?

#12 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

I am getting some vibration on acceleration. I had the carb visarded on the manifold so I don't really want to disturb that. I need to make absolutely sure its the exhaust vibrating and not the air filter. Dont want to bend the exhaust and find it does the same thing lol. Its not easy though when driving it, which is the only time it makes the noise, to work out if its inlet or exhuast. I've got a close ratio box with straight cut gears, (not the drop) gears and its frankly LOUD.

Appreciate all the advice, might have to go down both routes, bend exhaust and change manifold but will start with bending exhaust.

#13 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

I'd set about altering the pancake.  Far easier than trying to bend 3 exhaust down pipes.

#14 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

I did think about that and I do have a pancake that is conical which may well give more clearance. But it isn't what was designed for this carb necessarily. the exhaust is brushing the underside of the car but I'm not sure if that is where the vibration is coming from.

More of a problem now is that the car won't start. i installed a switch to break the contact for the electric fuel pump. security idea. a couple of times i've forgotton to turn it on. When the car stops for lack of fuel it wont start again with the pump switched back on??? there is fuel right up to the carb itself. But the plugs are dry as a bone?? as if the float in the base of the carb is stuck from being too low?? Actually maybe that is exactly it?

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:48 PM

pancake filters is used need to have the hole at the bottom. but you will get better performance and less noise in the cabin with the standard housing but use a KN filter element inside.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users