6 replies to this topic

#1 MuppetDonkey

MuppetDonkey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

I've had a search and cannot find anything on this...

I've a late cooper with walnut dash.  It has a little water damage from when it is on the road last time around.  Not bad by any standard, in fact, it's in better condition than many.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can deal with this with a warm iron, a wet towel and a lot of care.  It sort of makes sense, melt the adhesive reattach and the towel stops you damaging it further.

Has anyone done this successfully?  I'm nowhere near brave enough to try it cold!

#2 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:30 PM

That sounds like best way to iron your suit trousers (and not making them shiny)

#3 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

I´m guessing the dash is veneered, in which case it all depends on the glue they used. If it´s water soluble one then yes; steam and heat are the way to go. you can use a damp towel or (my preferred option) wetted brown paper. You can wet it with a spray bottle like you would use for plants. Get yourself a small flexible palate knife and work your way up from where it has originally lifted. This would be the way to go to remove it from the dash. 

However, as you're looking to reattach what has come loose... It is very hard to judge if this is possible neatly without seeing any pictures. Wavy ter damaged veneer tends to go very wavy and I doubt will glue straight back.

#4 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

My dash was badly damaged , presumably due to humidity and veneer had peeled, discoloured , and in lots of places chipped off.
Actual wood veneer was too far gone to repair so I completely stripped binnacle and dash. The veneer has about .75mm of thick clear lacquer over it which was brittle but softened with a heat gun.
I bought 2m x 300mm of Burr Walnut vinyl wrap and covered it with that.
Pretty good result if I do say so myself.
Sorry I can’t post pics on here because of the daft limit and I can’t be bothered reducing the size.

Cheers
DavidR

#5 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:50 PM

The veneer on my dash was well past it so I replaced it with black leather..

Attached File  002737.jpg   69.31K   0 downloads

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

My dash was badly damaged , presumably due to humidity and veneer had peeled, discoloured , and in lots of places chipped off.
Actual wood veneer was too far gone to repair so I completely stripped binnacle and dash. The veneer has about .75mm of thick clear lacquer over it which was brittle but softened with a heat gun.
I bought 2m x 300mm of Burr Walnut vinyl wrap and covered it with that.
Pretty good result if I do say so myself.
Sorry I can’t post pics on here because of the daft limit and I can’t be bothered reducing the size.

Cheers
DavidR

Use imgur upload the picture then paste the BBcode here

#7 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:21 AM

I'm in the middle of doing this myself. The clear coating comes off very easy with a head gun and a scraper.

Some of the veneer was damaged so I replaced sections of it. Just about to start on the new clear coating

m1Lc4bx.jpg

iX0wv87.jpg

Q

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users