4 replies to this topic

#1 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:41 PM

I'm after some new mirrors in the style of the carbon F1 mirrors that are all over eBay.  Don't worry, these aren't for a MK1 or anything.  I've had them before, the mirrors work great, but I had cheap ones that had a bit of a flaw.

They're ball-jointed at the door to let you adjust the angle to get the mirrors level.  The ball joints are 'fixed' by jamming the end of an allen bolt into them.  The mirrors then have a reasonable amount of leverage over the joint, so they go a bit F1 over about 20mph.  I suppose the clue is in the name.

Anyway, I've had a look around and I can't tell if the expensive ones are really just the cheap ones for more money and I don't know if they have the same problem.  And the ball joints look a bit rubbish anyway.

So I found these; https://www.demon-tw...-mirror-247049/

Has anyone any experience of whether they'll sit level on a Mini door, or whether I can bend the stems a bit without breaking them.  I suppose I could wedge the mounts to level them, bu that'll be a faff.

Or any better options?

Cheers

#2 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Actually, they're probably a bit bit at 150 x 50, so looking for something like that but more like 100 x 50-70.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:54 PM

have a look at some MC ones there are some that are modular so will allow you to "build" them suit.

I took some fairly standard ones and made some bends to the "arms" but you could make some better mounts and away you go. and cheap.

it was a hot weekend.
0P0STHW.jpg
TeAxe8p.jpg
5S5UJAH.jpg
iQsIh8s.jpg
yes we had some visitors from the UK.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:12 PM

Look for "SPA Formula mirrors".

#5 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, I worked out that MC was Motorcycle and had a brief search on eBay.  That might be a great shout, I can't work out if the ones with built in indicators and DRLs work style-wise though.

I have looked at the SPA stuff already, they come up on most searches and they're one of the better options, but for style reasons I want to avoid the plastic mounting collar and the ball joint.  I'm inclined to trust that the balls are less likely to be crap on those and perhaps they just need a flexible rubber boot over that part as an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users