3 replies to this topic

#1 Will96

Will96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

As the title suggests I'm in the midst of a 1380 project and was after some feedback with peoples thoughts on my (most likely) setup that I'm currently going with:

Powermax 73.5 pistons
Std compression rings
12g940 cylinder head with std valves (for now)
Std rockets (for now)
Std pushrods and followers
Mini spares evolution001 cam
Dizzy - (http://www.minispare...to searchimplex timing
Std flywheel)
Hif44 carb (not decided on needle)
Mini spares inlet manifold
Rc40 double box exhaust
3.44 diff 4-speed

Nothing special, just something with a bit more poke than my 998 with a 1380 block I had, that's also a bit more reliable in the rain and on motorway journeys longer than half an hour. Built a couple of engines before but never done the parts shopping before, so any and all pointers, questions, and remarks about my technical knowledge and/or sanity welcomed. Thanks :)

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:20 PM

Spec looks pretty good and should produce a nice torquey engine rather than a screamer. I just wonder if it might benefit from a slightly taller final drive.
I used to have a clubman estate that had a standard 1300gt engine, essentialy standard other than 73.5 mm omegas, 10:1 cr, lightened flywheel, wide ratio gearbox with 2.9:1 fd on 10"wheels.
It was very torquey and suited the tall gearing

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

similar spec to one i put togther a while back- with that cam you dont want anything other than standard ratio rockers (or 1.3s)  put some money into a head before the build is done so you can get the right CR.

#4 Will96

Will96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

Yeah. With the head I'm in 2 minds, I know for now it is the main bottle neck for the system, but then as I've been going through things I've been wanting to make the upgrades to the engine that are the easiest to do while it's in pieces, if that makes sense. Then I thought things like the head and rockers can be switched out and tinkered with once I know that the engine will run and I've saved up enough to go all out. Forgot to mention I'll be on 12 inch wheels too, the gearbox is 1 of 3 I have around, and so far the only one I've had a look at the fd for it. Going to investigate the 2nd tomorrow, then the 3rd is actually in my car now and I don't know the fd, so slightly more complicated, 998 that pulls alright but gets stuck at around 4500rpm at about 65mph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users