6 replies to this topic

#1 Davemac80

Davemac80

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:12 PM

I have new heritage closing end plates with the added strengthening plate attached. I'm going to plug weld them to the new boot floor. Am I better off drilling the plate or the floor? I'm thinking the floor.

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 04:36 PM

It depends on how good you are at plug welding and which way up the shell is. Personally I would do them from underneath as I think it will be neater but it's a lot easier to do it from the top if the car is not on a rotisserie.

#3 Davemac80

Davemac80

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

It depends on how good you are at plug welding and which way up the shell is. Personally I would do them from underneath as I think it will be neater but it's a lot easier to do it from the top if the car is not on a rotisserie.

It's not on a rotisserie but the boot floor panel isn't on the car yet so either way I can weld from above.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:57 PM

I have done both ways and to be honest i would do them from the underside.

#5 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:25 PM

Conversely I tend to do them from the the top through the boot floor especially if you’re fitting a new one. With the boot floor on the bench I find it much quicker and easier to linish down the welds afterwards.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

Conversely I tend to do them from the the top through the boot floor especially if you’re fitting a new one. With the boot floor on the bench I find it much quicker and easier to linish down the welds afterwards.

Although i have done this as Chris has mentioned the only thing here is if you are good enough with a grinder, flap wheel etc. Its very easy to thin the metal down, so go too heavy handed with a grinder and then you are through.

At least by going through underneath you have several layers of metal. Its really down to access and how good you are with your equipment. And as mentioned a spit makes life really easy with this job when its on the car but can be done without.

On the bench its a different ballgame so access is unimpeded so the choice is yours. Chris is a very good fabricator and knows his way around jobs like this.

Now as an aside to this i would fully mock up everything on the car, pin it all in place. Do not rely on standard Cleco pins for this, their clamping force is minimal. Use a good quality skin pin, butterfly Cleco etc so nothing can move. That way once its on the bench you should be good.

#7 Davemac80

Davemac80

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the advice, I've had it all mocked up on the car and done a few adjustments. All off at the moment so I can clean everything and prime it all before putting back together to weld. I think I'll do it from the bottom as it's going to be on my bench.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users